Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (tuckryan)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-12-2007, 9:04 PM Reply   
Ok guys I have searched extensively and can't quite seem to find what I am looking for. I found a 1990 Sport Nautique in good condition with about 550 hours, tower, stereo etc for $13k. First thing I want to know how is the wake? Everyone talks about the 93-98 hulls being the same as the Air nautique but I couldn't find much on the 90-92. So does anyone have much experience and or opinions on this boat? Is 600 hours to much? Price?

The (budget wake chart) lists Sport Nautique as 1989 and up as being a decent budget wake boat. I looked on this forum, correctcraftfan, and planet nautique. How would you compare it to a 1993 Echelon open bow? I can't get both for about the same price, but the nautique seemed much cleaner. Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-12-2007, 11:53 PM Reply   
The wake is good. My biggest complaint with the boat is that the platform is built in, and when you chop the throttle, water comes over the stern. A lot of water.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-13-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
I own a 97 sport and love it. I don't know about the hull shape on that year but I'll ask around here for ya. I think that the Nautique will be a better decision than the Malibu because I have been behind one of the older malibu ski boats and it didn't throw much of a wake even when weighted. Also you said that the Nautique was cleaner so I would think that is a major factor when buying a boat as well (at least to me).
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-13-2007, 8:53 AM Reply   
Had a 92 Sport and loved it, but Peter is right on, can't just cut the power unless you want to drench the people in the back seat.
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-15-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
before getting my 210, i had an 89 sport for about 8 years.I bought it with 600 hours on it and put another 1000 trouble free hours on it. awesome boat,great wake, no problems, built like a tank. I like the platform in the back. it's huge and angled jus right for chilln out on the back. I ran 4 sacks and a few more hundred pounds in lead, the wake was sick !
definetly a low rider with that much weight in it.
Old     (drifter1136)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-15-2007, 7:03 PM Reply   
With the 1990 sport I would check the stringers in it, the started using fiberglassed ones in 1993. What is your budget for a boat.
Old     (tuckryan)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-15-2007, 7:45 PM Reply   
Does anyone know the length of the boat with the built in swimdeck? I need to try to fit it in to a 23 foot garage. Thanks for everyones help!

Ryan
Old     (tuckryan)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-17-2007, 12:47 PM Reply   
Ok guys I guess the boat is actually a 89. He listed it as a 90 because he couldn't find it on NADA. Are there many changes between the 89 and the 90-92? Also has anyone ever tried weighting a sport nautique to surf behind?
Old     (tuckryan)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-17-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
Can anyone attest to this post on the other board? Kind of scares me a little!

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9198&KW=sport+nautique
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-17-2007, 2:29 PM Reply   
That person is a barefooter and sounds like they've been in way too many inboards. So, you can discount wake and spray as those won't matter to you.

Ride and handling: you're not going to find a boat that age that will handle that well when loaded. big deal.

As for the windsheild, I would look closely at the boat you're talking about. Footinforever soounds like they know what they're talking about, just most of it doesn't apply to ya.

echelon will have low freeboard and crummy wake. poor towboats.

stay patient, yet ready to buy. something will come up.
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-17-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
Water comes over the transom if you don't know how to drive, I didn't have that problem. I took my windsheild completely off and had the windows limo tinted. put it all back on, tight as a drum, never had a problem. I hit a lot of double ups in that 1000 hrs, with the boat loaded down and never saw any flex in the hull. I have 2 friends one with a 90 and one with a 91 out on my lake and both sports are tite and run great, just like mine did. I
Old     (tuckryan)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-18-2007, 1:45 PM Reply   
Well I went and looked at the boat today. Very clean, ran a compression test and all cylinders came out to right around 125. The boat has a zero flex tower with 2 board racks and 4 tower speakers. I would need to buy a few vests but thats about it. I got him down to $12k with everything included including a wake board. What do you all think?
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-18-2007, 3:13 PM Reply   
its got a mastercraft tower on it? the wake is ok, not as good as 95 thru 98. but you wont find one of those for 12k. the open bow is nice, i wish i had that option.sounds like a good deal. did you test drive? or are you in one of the frozen states?
Old     (tuckryan)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-19-2007, 7:18 AM Reply   
Here are some pictures, I checked the floor and felt real solid. The boat has always been stored indoors.Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-19-2007, 9:31 AM Reply   
Wow ! looks clean ! go for it !!
Old     (tuckryan)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-19-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
And I didn't get to test drive it, it is a frozen state! I wish I could have just to check the tranny. The guy that owns it is a mechanic and extremely nice. I think he would tell me if there were any problems. I am still wondering if I should do a leak down test but at this point I am leaning towards taking it.

One other thing is this classified as a 21' boat? It is only 20'4" according to correct craft which basically gives you about 19' of boat. The 93 looked like it is 21'.

Guys thanks so much for your advice and help, if any of you are ever in Boise I owe you a cold one and a pull or two! Tough for me to make a 12K decision on a 18 year old boat.

Ryan
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-19-2007, 10:42 AM Reply   
Wow that boat looks to be in great shape.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-19-2007, 3:52 PM Reply   
pics look great.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-19-2007, 5:13 PM Reply   
Looks really clean. IMO older well kept boats are a better find than newer ones that have not been so well cared for.

If the guys a mechanic, I'd think all the fluids would have been changed regularly.

When a person takes that good care of the stuff you can see, it's a safe assumption that the working parts were cared for as well.

If it's in your price range, it doesn't matter what year it is.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-19-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
I'd ride it