Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-17-2005, 12:11 PM Reply   
Hey all,
I've been trying to pinpoint why my hot/cold shower isn't working. The pump is getting power (12 volts) when I turn the accesory on, it just never kicks in. so I think the pump is probably bad. Does anyone know where I can pick up just a pump. It is the aquatik 1s system. Thanks
Old    walt            04-17-2005, 12:15 PM Reply   
Try West Marine.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-17-2005, 12:56 PM Reply   
Check all the connections for corrision first, and see if there is a fuse that could be blown. Or just take a volt meter and put it on both sides of the pump and see if it is actually getting voltage. Then if you find the pump is bad, find a new one. Start with the cheapest thing to fix then go to the most expensive.
Old     (johnbowen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-17-2005, 2:55 PM Reply   
not to state the obvious, but is the shower head valve open? With my shower head closed it will run for a minute or so, until it builds up pressure, then it shuts off. Once it gets to a certain level of hose pressure, the pump shuts off.

John
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-17-2005, 6:58 PM Reply   
Mark: I tried the voltmeter it is getting voltage everywhere I could test it.

John: Do you have to do anything other than turning the hot and cold knobs. is there any power switch you have to trigger (other than the accesory switch) I have the knobs turned on, and I just never hear the pump turn on at all.

Walt: Thanks I'll give west marine a call tomorow
Old     (johnbowen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-18-2005, 8:22 PM Reply   
i installed my shower, so i don't know how they come from the factory. Anyway, i installed a switch right next to the hot and cold knobs. With the switch on, the pump will run initially for a minute or so, then shut off, once it's built up pressure. I open the water flow at the shower head valve. That way I can keep the hot and cold close to where it is the correct temp (that's assuming the water in the engine block and the lake water remain relatively constant). When I first installed it i took it out on the water it did not put out much pressure, but the pump worked fine. When I got it home i significantly shortened the hoses, and flipped it on. It ran for a second, then quit. I thought something was wrong with the pump. I took the whole thing apart, rewired it, checked everything. I was looking into the hose coupling, with the shower head disconnected, scratching my head what could be the problem. How could a pump go bad after only ten minutes of use. I flipped on the switch and got an eye full of water.

Make sure all your valves are on. You may have an on/off switch at your drivers position. Mine is in the rear, and has an LED indicator to let me know the power is on, etc.

If you need more help, let me know.
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-18-2005, 8:40 PM Reply   
John,

My boat is 2 hours away so I don't have the luxury of looking at it right now. I know it is hooked up to the accesory swich by the driver, but I have never noticed a on/off switch at the valve. do you have it wired to the accesory too, or is it just at the valve. Maybe I have both and just have not noticed the second yet.

The pump is getting 12 volts when I power it from the accesory so I figured I should hear something come on in the pump, but I don't... this is why I believe it might be the pump. But Ya never know.

Thanks for your help
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-18-2005, 9:15 PM Reply   
The shower pumps should be pressure actuated. That way the pump isn't pumping into a closed valve (shower head). Once the valve is open and the pump doesn't sense the built up pressure, it will start pumping. I just changed mine and got a pretty good deal on E-Bay.
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-18-2005, 10:08 PM Reply   
Rod...

What pump did you replace it with? Was it the Shurflo pump or something else?
Old     (johnbowen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-20-2005, 7:28 PM Reply   
Cody,
Like Rod stated, if the shower valve is closed anywhere after the pump, then it won't run once it pumped up to pressure. My boat's accessory switch was taken up by the switch for the 2nd bilge pump (supra Launch LTS). Because no switch was installed then I installed the switch.

I would flip the switch on at the driver's seat, check the voltage with a multimeter. Make sure the shower valve is open after the pump. it should run. If not, then your pump is bad. I would doubt it is your pump though. They seem pretty tough. You could also have sucked some gunk into the pump that is blocking the pump blade from spinning.

John
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-20-2005, 7:34 PM Reply   
Cody,
Yes, a Shurflo. I think I paid $69 shipped from E-Bay.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-20-2005, 8:25 PM Reply   
Many times a piece of debris can cause the pump not to function, as said above. Not all pumps are rotary vane pumps. I had to take mine apart a few times in order to clean out some debris. Make sure the water being pulled is after the intake filter.