Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            10-07-2009, 8:09 PM Reply   
I have two sections of nomex honeycomb. It's a 2 pound density "paper" covered in phenolic resin. It's amazing stiff for being mostly air. :-)

I intend to bag a layer of 4 oz Zylon on the bottom and intentionally leave the resulting dimples, but I want the deck to be smooth.

The only way that I can think to do that is to prefab the first layer of deck lamination and the bag an external layer over that.

This is 6 oz FG in epoxy. Don't let anyone tell you that epoxy is super stiff :-) It's a medium soft plastic, but is stiffer and stronger than polyester.

Upload
Old    surfdad            10-07-2009, 8:11 PM Reply   
A small section of the nomex honeycomb.

Upload
Old    surfdad            10-07-2009, 8:14 PM Reply   
My test panel, is an attempt to glue the nomex to the prefab skin and mold it around an old mixing bucket. Hopefully tomorrow it will pop off and retain the shape.

Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            10-08-2009, 4:50 AM Reply   
The Nomex glued up easily, although the panel didn't fully retain the molded shaped.

Upload
Old    surfdad            10-08-2009, 4:51 AM Reply   
View of the honeycomb

Upload
Old    surfdad            10-08-2009, 4:56 AM Reply   
The panel is still failrly flexible, I was afraid it wouldn't be, so rather than have two layers of resin I think that I can create a skin with a very lightweight facing on one side and then bend it enough to conform to the compound curves of the board. I'll just wet out a section of cloth and lay it out on some PE, then place the Nomex on top of that, apply some pressure and the next morning it will be ready to trim and glue up.

Upload
Old    surfdad            10-08-2009, 5:00 AM Reply   
I was impressed with the rigidity of the stuff. I stood on this small test panel, placing all my weight on one foot - think balerina :-) and there was no deformation of the nomex. That could be used as a core material.

I've been trying to source aluminum HC for the skins, but it must be exceptionally expensive because so far no one publishes a price for the 1/4" x 4' x 8' sheets.

Upload
Upload
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-08-2009, 10:36 AM Reply   
New shoes?
Old    surfdad            10-08-2009, 10:55 AM Reply   
Amazing attention to detail! :-) I swear I am the ONLY person in existence with "shoe scrutiny" in an online forum!!! :-)

If I do this sort of test any more, I think I'll need to invest in Pointe shoes. I wonder if they come with a velcro closure? :-)
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-08-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
I'd like to see you in some black and white wing tips for sure. Or maybe a nice tall pair of UGGS or cowboy boots too.

The possibilities are as endless as the waves we ride.
Old    surfdad            10-08-2009, 11:59 AM Reply   
I am SOOOOOO done with the shoe conversation!

Cut away of a sailboard - Nomex used as a skin to create a hollow board.

Upload
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-08-2009, 12:48 PM Reply   
oh yea new shoes!!!

btw Jeff I love all that blured macrophotos where you can see all the details
Old    surfdad            10-08-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
ARRRRGGGH! More shoe grief! :-) Impressed with my photographic skill set, Petr? Following Jon's advice, if I get lost on the art path, photography is NEXT on the list!

You know what's funny Petr? I typically take two shots, in case one get's blurry or whatever and the pictures, above, are the ones I selected as being the better ones!! NO! WAIT! It's impressionistic art, you need to "feel" the composition of the construction. :-)
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-08-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
ok, I always wondered how they glue honeycomb with outer material (glass etc) so they dont fill up whole honeycomb cells with unwanted resin.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-08-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
it's ok Jeff I started to like it

btw look at your camera manual - most of them dont take sharp photos at less than 1 meter or 60cm from lens. SOme of them has macro setting. Thats all. And you can alway zoom it on back LCD after shoot
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-08-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
WE call it 'art' too when we get blurry photos at weddings.

Old    surfdad            10-08-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
I do believe that if the facing is fiberglass, it would be possible to wet out the glass and then place the honeycomb on it. The fiberglass still needs to be impregnated with resin. I've seen aluminum facings and I'd bet the HC is probably dipped in a shallow bath or is painted with the resin and then placed on the facing material as it cures.

RE Photo @ Petr - the camera comes with a manual? :-)

@ dtw - YES! See?! I told you it was art! :-)
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-08-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
yep Jeff usually I buy them with operating manual
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-08-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
Damb , someone already beat me to the shoe investigation,
@ SD if you use the lay up table & pan set up i use then you can wear your flips and shorts and dont worry about getting resin on your lam shoes
Old    surfdad            10-08-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
I can't believe you guys! I kept thinking, what would cause so much attention to my shoes and then it struck me, JEALOUSY!

Upload
Old    surfdad            10-08-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
Listen, do yourself a favor and just get over it! Some folks just have nicer shoes than you and that's JUST the way it is. The sooner you come to grips with this reality, the easier your life will become.

Upload
Old    surfdad            10-08-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
OK OK OK, I was a little harsh, I apologize. I don't mean to belittle your choices in footwear. It's just that when you are as accustomed to fine footwear, as I am, it's tedious when others attempt to drag me down to their level.

Upload
Old    surfdad            10-08-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
So, what do you say, you try and keep your shoe jealousy under control and I'll pretend to be amused. OK?

Too funny! I'm liking these green shoes for the shop. :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            10-08-2009, 2:48 PM Reply   
I always like it when disagreements can be resolved like this. Reaching consensus always feels better, especially in gold shoes.

Upload
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-08-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
I recommend these:

Upload

^for keeping the foam off your shoes, but make them more masculine looking.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-09-2009, 5:10 PM Reply   
he he he its so much fun here
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-13-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
I had talked to a guy in my MC and he is deep into composites. I remember asking him about the hc he had in the shop (Nomex) and he said that if it contacted watre it would fall apart. I know we all think that glass/composities are water proof but some will be through eventually.
Have you tested some to see how it does in that enviroment?
Old    surfdad            10-13-2009, 12:22 PM Reply   
Yep - just like your friend said - turns to mush :-) It's just paper with some glue on the outside. However, it really requires a puncture, there isn't any seepage through paint/hotcoat/lamcoat matrix.

The sailboard guys used to use nomex and they'd hit a rock or the beach and put a hole in the board, then next thing they knew it was wet cardboard :-)

I'd like to try it with some aluminum honeycomb, but I can't seem to source any, plus I am thinking I'd have to mortgage the house to get a sheet! :-)

Thanks for following along Daniel, and bringing that concern to my attention.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-18-2009, 8:26 PM Reply   
He's doctoring up a busted salt water board I was given, so I'll see if he has any info on getting any other honeycomb material.
Old    surfdad            10-19-2009, 2:33 PM Reply   
Thanks daniel, I appreciate that. There are tons of "floppy" honeycomb, like nidacore and that polyethelene stuff. I was interested in the aluminum for it's rigidity. I'd like to try that.