Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-18-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
Ok, this is pretty funny. There are a few f-bombs, so moderators, keep that in mind and kiddies, turn off your volume! If this thread gets pulled, I will figure out a way to beep the bombs out. I tried, but my software is lame.

Take a look at how I FREAK when Brodie yells "Look out, here it comes"... I laugh every time I watch this... too f-ing funny!!!

-Uj
Old    murrayair            10-18-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
It won't let me watch it since it's a private video.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-18-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
ok, let me fix that
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-18-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
try it now.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-18-2008, 8:39 PM Reply   
pretty funny
Old     (forensic_scientist)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-19-2008, 3:50 PM Reply   
That's pretty good! I also checked out the other posted videos...the trick bag was great! I'm in process of trying to learn some of those tricks, at age of 35, but it's tough to commit to the aerials!!
Old     (jpaul)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-19-2008, 4:58 PM Reply   
The wake on the other vids are CLEAN!
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-19-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
UJ we saw a sea lion near Elkhorn today.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-19-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
Jeff, yesterday they were everywhere!!! We saw at least 6 or 7. I tell you, seeing them from inside the boat is way more fun than from 20ft with your feet locked into your bindings!!! Ha ha... I was ok until I saw it go under and realized how big it was... at that point I started to freak out a little and wanted in the boat!
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-19-2008, 5:50 PM Reply   
It just wanted a piece of the 39 year old bag...good incentive not to fall.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-19-2008, 5:55 PM Reply   
At first I was like "hey look at the dog swimming" then it went under and I was like oh crap thats aint no dog. It's all good Danny was riding so I wasn't worried LOL
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-19-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
what all you got for weight in the x-2?
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-19-2008, 6:30 PM Reply   
Justin- a crap load... Probably 2000lbs or so.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-19-2008, 6:48 PM Reply   
is that on top of the ballast? i just got the same boat at the beginning of summer, but pretty much every time i've taken it out, i've had a butt load of people with me, so the wake is fine. now that its starting to cool down a good bit the crew will be reduced to 2 or 3, so i need to start throwing some weight in.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-20-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
don't worry about the sea lion...your helmet would have protected you.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-20-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
i was suprised to not see ANY sea lions yesterday at garcia. especially after talking to brodie about how many there were just upstream. Im kinda glad, though. I like my legs and other parts.

(Message edited by wakeviolater on October 20, 2008)
Old     (soonerwake85)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-20-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
are sea lions really known for attacking riders? that wouldn't be something i would want to worry about every time i crash
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-20-2008, 12:23 PM Reply   
I don't think so... but they are big and when you are stuck in your bindings and it is 20 ft away, all sorts of stuff starts going through through your mind. I think they are really just curious animals and want to know what we're up to.
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       10-20-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
That'd freak me out! HA!

Check out this article.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/29/ap/tech/mainD8LMEFM80.shtml
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-20-2008, 12:56 PM Reply   
"Last year, a group of sea lions took over a Newport Beach marina and caused a vintage 50-foot yacht to capsize when they boarded it."

Sounds like something out of the movie
Madagascar! That is actually pretty funny.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-20-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
WHAT THE F WAS THAT! Was my response when we first saw them at verona!
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-20-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
That article is crazy. Sounds like you guys need a ban on Great White fishing out there to keep the seal population in check!
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-20-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
haha! i remember that riley! I think the next thing you said was "im not riding next. f#(% that im not getting in the water".

the sea lions are like little puppies. if they do start to attack you then you should try to scratch them on the belly. they love that.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-20-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
What part of the Delta was that? I saw 6 Sea Lions last summer out at Disco Bay area and not a single one this summer.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-20-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
this is up by the sacramento airport
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-20-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
hahaha

Apparently they have returned from last year. I think they were residing by old Sacramento last year.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-20-2008, 2:39 PM Reply   
I saw 3 of them right outside Disco this weekend.
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-20-2008, 3:28 PM Reply   
They are def out this year! One was chillin on the dock @ Joes crab shack in old Sac yesterday.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-20-2008, 4:32 PM Reply   
Great vid...and I love the bag of tricks.....love your style too!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-21-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
HAHA! Yeah Al that was funny! I was NOT gettin in the water right where we saw those things!

I"m guessing if I treated it like Bullet the sea lion would have bit me!
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       10-21-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
I saw a huge huge one in disco on old river a few weeks back been lucky since though. There kinda creepy.

(Message edited by nsolis220 on October 21, 2008)
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-21-2008, 6:54 PM Reply   
No sea lion here, but today, after I jumped in the water from the boat, a small (3 ft.) hammerhead shark swam by me... a month or so ago, my wife was starting to ride, and as she was just out of the water, a sting ray jumped about 20 yards from her. Riding on the Gulf is often an adventure...
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-21-2008, 8:52 PM Reply   
Sea Lions and Hammerheads!?!?!?! SCREW THAT I will deal with gators any day over that ahhhhhhhhh
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-21-2008, 11:00 PM Reply   
I saw a Sea lion Sunday up close and personal. Here is my write up from our local dive clubs board. This comes after one of our local freedivers recently had a Great White come at him, then quickly turn away for no apparent reason.

"We packed Ryan's van the night before and went off into slumber land. Well I had some weird dream where we came across a Great White and watched as it swam around us, then departed. Hmmm...good thing to have on your mind when going diving? Thanks ANDY! "Fort Ross is known for being sharky".

So after breakfast we head off to the dive site. The routine of the dive gear unloading and prepping happens at a pretty fast rate. Andy showed for a couple of minutes to say hi. We were the only scuba divers on the beach. There were quite a few ab divers and fisherman utilizing kayaks. So with four tanks and two scooters we head into the water. The vis is almost 14 feet at the beach! So we scoot out towards the outer kelp line to drop in. We find the vis here much less, more like 6 feet. We drop in and keep close to each other heading out. We pass 40 feet then 50 feet and the vis does not improve. We keep heading out, and at around 78 feet stow the scooters, and decide to begin our dive. The vis is now about 8 feet and very snotty. The structure around us is incredible. Huge rocks everywhere, full of life. Some of the pinnacles are over 30 feet high, and they are towering around us. Fish are abundant on this dive, probably more than I have ever seen on the North Coast, and there are some BIG fish. One ling could have swallowed my arm.

As we are tooling around, I see something off to my right side go passed fairly quickly, then disappear. My senses heighten...Keeping a watchful eye out I spot a figure quickly approach from behind and grab at Ryan's fins. It then slides under us and lies on the bottom like "Hey who wants to play?" We continue our dive and a couple of minutes go by, when I feel a hard hit on my right leg that actually changes my direction. Remember I am packing over 190 lbs of gear, so moving me is not that easy. In shock I turn to my right to spot...the playful Sea lion again. This time it comes right up to my face, and I have my hand on it's chest as we are checking each other out. Did I mention we are now at over 80 feet? The Sea lion takes off again to the surface, but of course comes back again, and goes zooming out of nowhere right between Ryan and I. We are staying pretty close to each other since the vis is bad. It must have gotten bored with us and went back to doing whatever our local Sea lion population does."
Old     (ajcsurf)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-23-2008, 5:22 PM Reply   
"That article is crazy. Sounds like you guys need a ban on Great White fishing out there to keep the seal population in check!"

Since August of 1997, great white shark fishing in state waters has been banned. Incidental take does happen though. Its also in C.I.T.E.S. appendix two which is more of a suggestion that if things don't changed, their probabilities of extinction will increase.

Sea Lions and Seals (harbor seals) are not the same thing...
Seals are little sausages that cruise by all slow and sleep on rocks all day, white grayish with spots.
http://orionlimotour.com/images/products/harbor-seal_lg_360.jpg

Sea lions are the big ones that bark at you underwater. They like to divers (like the above story) and their rookeries can capsize boats and sink floating docks
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/141/317508363_41b279ad1e.jpg

Elephant seals are the HUGE ones that hang out and have those gnarly noses
http://sanctuarysimon.org/monterey/images/build/whats_new_eseal_1.jpg

I wouldn't worry about getting bit or drowning because of sea lions. I have been surfing since I was 13 and more people in the water have been bit by otters than sea lions (Morry Bay, CA). Sea lions usually just poke their head up, check you out, flare their nostrils and go back down. Don't approach their rookeries and you wont get hassled.

Also, they love toes so wear closed toe bindings

wow that got long quick.
Old     (ajcsurf)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-24-2008, 3:29 PM Reply   
I almost forgot, sea lions bite when you wear boardshorts over your wetsuit.....
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-24-2008, 8:27 PM Reply   
A few years ago, I was riding on Old River and went to ollie a log. Well the log threw a fish at me. Scared the crap out of me having a fish flying through the air. Turns out it was a Sea Lion playing with it's food. They are quite playful :-)

One of my friend Ken took this photo at the Channel Islands. They all survived the encounter and have been doing so for years.
Upload
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-25-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
Great shot...they look like they want to play similar to dolphins.