Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-22-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   
The steering on my 2003 x-30 has always been heavy but it is getting worse. The steering is harder to the left than the right and only when driving. I only relly noticed how hard it was after I had driven my buddy's malibu. I lubed the cable and rudder port but that didn't help. I ordered a new cable and hopefully that will help, but in my research discovered changing the rudder to the 2006 style is supposed to make the steering much better. I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has upgaded their rudder. Thanks.
Old     (jsxstar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-22-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
The new rudder is amazing! I had the same rudder you have on your 03 on my 04 x-star and it was the same, hard to steer to the left especially when weighted down. On my 07 it has the new rudder and no matter how much weight is in the boat it handles great!
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-22-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
I am just curious what is the construction difference between the new and old rudder?
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-22-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
There you go

Upload
Old    willytown12            08-22-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
What is the cost of the upgraded rudder with installation or is it pretty easy to install yourself?
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-22-2007, 7:23 PM Reply   
why doesent every wake boat have an over sized rudder?
Old     (toneus)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-22-2007, 7:30 PM Reply   
The better question is why are you having to upgrade a rudder on a boat that costs (in my best Austin Powers voice) more than 55 thousand dollars?!
Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-22-2007, 8:14 PM Reply   
I'll guess you'll have to ask Mastercraft that question Toneus. The rudder costs $360 but shipping is going to bump that up some. I hoping to have the boat for a long time so if I can make it drive better I will. I guess it may have been a recall for the x-10 model but not sure about that. I plan on installing myself, there is a thread on it on a mastercraft owner forum but it's from 2006. It should be a slide in replacement from what I read. Unless I get some negative feedback about switching it, I'm inclined to replace it.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-22-2007, 8:26 PM Reply   
i did one on a Tige. i'm not saying its the same thing but its the same idea of removing it. not hard at all. you might have to lift the back of the boat up a little so the rudder can have enough room coming out before it hits the trailer.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-22-2007, 11:26 PM Reply   
Well I could get mad driving a '98 Cobra (Ford Mustang) with 300hp when they went to 320 ('99-01) and then to 390 (Underrated 03-04), but that's development. You can't expect a flagship product not to improve a little each year.

Learning Curve...
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-23-2007, 8:06 AM Reply   
Definately get the new rudder. I did this upgrade on my '02 X30 and it made the steering sooo much better. The rudder comes out in about :15 minutes. I got mine for $180 plus $20 shipping from MasterCraft of Charlotte. Go to www.mymastercraft.com and ask for Mike McKenzie. He is a great guy to work with and know these boats better than the factory.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
Is there a difference in the shaft diameter between the pre 03 style rudder and the new design as well. The reason I ask is that Supra also did a redesign from 2003. I have a 22 SS from that year and have been going thru the same thing as Brett. I have already changed the cable but it is still tight. Seems to me the big change from 03 for the supra was the shaft diameter increasing which makes sense in order to give the rudder more surface area to glide/pivot on to ease the steering. I wonder if MC and Supra used the same rudder outfit in 03?
Old     (jhoback)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-23-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
would this rudder help any when going in reverse?
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-27-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
Joe -

The new rudder is NO help in reverse.