Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (halem23)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-29-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
Out on the lake this weekend my boat started to give me problems out of the hole. When I go to engage the throttle, the boat revs to about 1100rpm before it kicks in and moves the prop. So then it bucks a little and just isnt right. It only does it in forward, not reverse. This just started, anyone have ideas? Thanks
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-29-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
have you checked the fluid levels?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-29-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
Sounds like the clutch in the Velvet Drive transmission is slipping. The V-drive consists of a set of gears. It can't really "slip", but the tranny can. The V-drive just changes the shaft direction back toward the rear, then through the tranny and then the prop shaft. Check the fluid and be sure it's filled and is not pink in color. This would indicate water contamination. Also could be an incorrectly adjusted linkage issue too possibly.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-30-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
If you are in neutral, with the throttle lever straight up, and then push it foward to the first detent, does the transmission engage and you start moving at idle?

If it starts moving at idle, and then it slips when you go to accelerate then I would say that your transmission is having trouble. Check the fluid for sure but if that isn't the problem then you had better start planning a transmission rebuild ASAP.

On the other hand, if you move the thottle lever forward very slowly and the engine RPMs start to increase before the transmission does anything at all then it is probably the shift cable and/or shift lever that is at fault.

Shift and throttle are separate cables that are both operated by the same lever. When everything is adjusted properly the throttle will be at idle while in "neutral" and will remain in idle for enough lever movement to engage the transmission. It is common for the shift lever mechanism to wear and get sloppy, or for the shift cable to stretch or otherwise degrade and then the adjustments are all wrong.

You might be able to simply adjust the shift cable at the transmission. It is more likely that the shift cable and possibly the entire shift lever needs to be replaced.
Old     (halem23)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-30-2006, 5:28 PM Reply   
the second scenario mentioned above is what is happening...the boat just revs up a little before the trans kicks in...i will look into adjusting the cables this week. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-30-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
...after getting off line last night, I realized I had it backwards. It's through the trans first, then the V-drive.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-30-2006, 9:09 PM Reply   
The only time i have seen this it was the tranny that was bad has to rev up a bit then kicks in
Old     (halem23)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-31-2006, 5:27 PM Reply   
if it is the trans going bad, how do i check it/remedy it??? or can I at all? I didnt have time to look at it today, ill be on it tomorrow. thanks
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-31-2006, 7:18 PM Reply   
well the V drive has gears in it there is nothing to slip. The trany can be rebuilt by a good shop.