Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-21-2010, 7:04 PM Reply   
Ed, I def will. Im heading to bed now but will send you a PM tomorrow. I did add the two batteries, one is a Deka marine and the other is an Oreilly Marine Super start and plugged them to the switch. I'll PM you with details tomorrow.
Thanks by the way on the comments, I appreciate it. The color and accents all turned out well. :-)
I Love it all! AXIS ROCKS!
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-21-2010, 8:15 PM Reply   
KDuff,
Yes we picked up our boat, late on Friday. Had to help family move all day Saturday :-(, so we finally took it out on the lake today! Pretty impressed with the boat so far. Only had it out for an hour or so, but plan to take it out again next week. (weather permitting)

Came from a stern drive, did not know these boats don't steer in reverse! Will have to get used to that! All went well with the first run on the water. Sax/tanks filled pretty quick. seemed to take longer to empty them? Sax did not drain all the way either? Will have to play with that some more. Stereo was rockin with the ipod!
Tower mirror is great, but a pain to move, when I have to fold the tower to get it into my garage.

Will post more info/pix when I have more time on the boat-

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by wade_lewark on February 21, 2010)
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-21-2010, 9:14 PM Reply   
Congrats wade on the new ride! Our axis is also all white under the wrap.

This pic is with stock ballast, the wedge down plus a couple hundred pounds in the bow @ 23 mph. Sorry for the head in the middle of the pic!

Upload
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-22-2010, 4:49 AM Reply   
Wade, congrats! Looks good! I wish we were able to ride and not worry about freezing. We keep ours in a barn and cut out part of the second floor so I dont have to drop the tower. Unfortunately its too wide to fit into the garages too. Hopefully we will break freezing weather soon so I can take mine out.
Ed, Congrats too!
That wake looks very rampy. When you say standard ballast, does that include the plug and play bags too plus a couple hundred pounds?
Have ya'll been able to clear the head in a jump yet?
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-22-2010, 5:01 AM Reply   
thanks for all the pics!! loving all the updates. congrats to all on the pick ups :-)

that wake looks nice...looks like it has a nice lip!
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-22-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
I did not have the plug and play filled. I had the center and two tanks in the back, plus two peeps in the bow... and the wedge down.

The Wedge down gives the wake a nice lip.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-22-2010, 9:33 AM Reply   
Greg, Just curious, if you knew you were going to strip the stereo when you ordered your boat were you not able to have them NOT install any speakers or amps and save the few dollars?
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-22-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
Ed, it looks really nice...
I also sent you an email too.
Dave, when we ordered the boat I wanted everything pre-drilled (aka not drilling new fiberglass holes for the speakers or cutting the vinyl), so we ordered the speakers and amp in there so the holes would be pre-drilled. I just wanted an easy install
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-22-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
Congrats to all the fellow Axis owners!
One question for you guys...
did any one's trailer come with a 'Safety Chain' for the boat itself? You know, it hooks to the bow hook on the boat, and is hooked to the trailer so if the winch fails, your boat don't fly off! My trailer did not come with one...? I will have to pick one up at local marine store-

(Message edited by wade_lewark on February 22, 2010)
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       02-22-2010, 10:12 AM Reply   
I am surprised they took pride in the mirror arm to match the tower, but the board racks and bimini are chrome/billet instead of the same gray/black coloring.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-22-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
Jason, I like the chrome/billet. It breaks apart the all black and gray. It sets it distinct enough. May just be me, but I like it.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-22-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
Isn't part of the reason that they don't put the alum. diamond plate on the stainless is because of a reaction between the two types of material?I think it's probable the main reason and props to them for that.They could cut back on putting Axis on every space that it fits on,putting it on the tower mirror arm is a little much.Congrats. to all with the new boats you all are going to have a great summer with your new toys.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-24-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
Like Dave above, I was curious why you got a stereo installed if you were just going to change it. I looked at one of these the other day and they are for sure a nice boat. I can't believe the price difference between them and the similar Malibu. $40K is a lot of gas money! Congrats to the new owners here!
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-25-2010, 4:41 AM Reply   
Hey JMan, I answered Dave on it about 6 posts above. I just didnt want to drill all the holes myself (new boat, didnt want to cut much or cut vinyl much) lol....I was feeling pretty lazy on this one.
I just got the pro80s mounted and they sound amazing too. We are changing how we are going to have the sub since my box is too big but it sounds so good. We are going to create a fake wall at the drivers footwell and just put the sub behind it. Getting it out to the boat show today but I would say it will be next week or something when we get that completed.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-25-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
Thanks, Greg. I missed your reply. I understand completely about cutting and drilling on your new boat.

I couldn't believe the feel of the drivers seat on the boat I looked at. It was like sitting in a sports car. I also like the way the swim platform is incorporated into the lines on the sides of the hull. I think these boats are going to sell really well.
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-25-2010, 7:14 PM Reply   
talked to Axis and the guys at Boat Mate. they just don't use a safety chain on the boat/trailers. Said it was not needed. I picked on up anyway, don't want my boat flying off the trailer due to a bad winch-
Old     (daylorb)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-26-2010, 2:58 AM Reply   
So what is the verdict on these for wakesurfing? Definitely seems like an interesting option option.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-26-2010, 4:52 AM Reply   
No worries JMan,
The drivers seat completely holds you in and it does feel like a sports car seat. The platform does follow along well with the lines of the boat. Its the progresssive size of the back end of it. I think they all flow well for sure.
Daylorb, from what ive understood they are pretty good for surfing. There is a youtube video to show the surf wake and they also explain the differences with the wedge up or down and how it affects the wake...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I39vMHahcgQ

I dont know if this will post since the board is down I think right now, so I may just be spinning my wheels in typing this. If it doesnt come through, ill put it back on the other side...
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-16-2010, 8:04 PM Reply   
Greg,

I sent you a PM about your factory speakers and amp
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-22-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
We have only had our A22 out twice so far and I have a few minor issues that I was wondering if any other Axis owners have come across?

1. Cruise Control - worked perfectly fine our first outing and for the first couple of sets this Saturday, but was wigging out later in the day. was set to 'on', but was not holding speed, kept beeping like crazy, but would not hold speed. I turned it off/on several times but same results. Not until we shut down for a while @ lunch, then stated up again did it start working like it should again?

2. Plug and Play Fat Sax - again, all worked as it should on first outing, but had an issue this Saturday with the right rear tank/bag. All filled just fine and we were using with the wedge to get a big 'ol wake. Then went to drain the tanks/bags as usual, but right rear bag would not empty, even after it stopped puking water outta the side of the boat. Bag was still completely filled and I have no idea about the tank. Tried several times to drain the rr setup, but it would not drain? Inspected the hoses/position to make sure not kinked or other, and all was good. Finally had to pull boat out of water to head home, and noticed it was draining the rr system from the intake port on the bottom of the boat. It did eventually drain that side of the system (not sure on the tank, cant tell?) and I again ran the pump to see if any more water would come out but it did not, so we headed home. I ran the rr pumps both fill and drain and can hear them running so I think they are ok? Am planning on trying to fill/drain the rr system with my 'fake-a-lake' to see if it does this again? If not, then I will check it next time we go out.

3. Front Plug and Play Fat Sack - I have noticed that with the front pnp sack, you have to put both of the 'Chillax' seats in the up position, cause the sac lifts them upward when you fill it. So prolly not a good idea for someone to walk across or sit on the seats when bag is filled? Also the 'Chillax' seat bracket arms are digging into the bag somewhat, I hope this won't cause a leak or rupture?

Just some things I noticed and wondered if any others have any similar issues or not?

We are getting our windows tinted this week with 20%, will post some images when done.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-22-2010, 5:22 PM Reply   
I know the cruise control has to be calibrated. Ours was done by the dealer... not sure if this is your issue.

I always ride with the chillax seats up - So I haven't noticed it pushing the seats up. We punched a hole in the bow sack, it may have been from the bracket. It's not a big deal. I picked up a vinyl underwater pool repair kit (about $6) and the bag is as good as new.
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-22-2010, 7:27 PM Reply   
not sure, it worked fine the first time out, and then again after it glitched for the rest of the day? will just have to keep an eye on it. Yeah, I keep forgetting to just leave the seats up, cause the kids are always going front to back, will jus thave to get in the haqbit of leaving them up. Axis told me to put a small piece of carpet across the bag, in the area where the Chillax arms are... makes sense will try that.
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-24-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
I think I fixed the bag drainage issues, found excessive hose length on all 3 drain hoses, so I trimmed it off and shortened the loop. This gets the drain hose much lower, to better siphon I was told by Axis. Will confirm next outing-

Axis also recommended I place a piece of carpet across the front sack, where it rubs on the Chillax seat braces. Will pick some up at local store and give it a try?
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-25-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
just got the windows tinted with 20%... looks very good with the color of the boat!

Old     (jcfox00)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-25-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
Wow, Those colors are sick! Looks badass with the tint! Very nice!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-27-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
I really love the way the Axis boats look.
Old     (landowakettu)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-10-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
The Texas Tech Wake team just recently bought an axis with the help of Adam. Its a super nice boat and we loved what they had to offer as far as for a club boat. Cheaper than most new boats, but still the same performance of a Malibu or something along those lines. We haven't gotten to ride behind our boat yet due to some circumstances that happened when we got it!

This is a great boat though, and we love everything about it!
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-10-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
OMG Landan...I understand you all were tryin to get an early start but these things dont run on snow well..granted it is water still lol...what the progress on it since then? How did that happen?
Also adding a pic from the boat show and the finished wetsounds panel we put in
Attached Images

Old     (landowakettu)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-10-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
We had just picked in up from Baxter, MN and were on our way back on I-35 when the snow started to pick up and we hit a patch of ice and the trailer slid out from behind us pulling us into the median into oncoming traffic! It was intense to say the least but the damage was pretty minor considering how bad it could have been.

The boat never rolled over or at all so it could have been worse!

But the boat should be fixed by next week! So that is great!
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-06-2010, 8:35 AM Reply   
OK, our weather has been crap for some time now, so I am working on a few projects for the Axis until the weather improves.

- First, my dealer did not mention a spare tire for my trailer at the time of purchase, so my options were to pay Axis $580 + shipping for a matching 'tricked' wheel/tire or go with a cheapy from my local tire shop. I did not like either of those options, so I started to dig around on-line and found the Gear alloy 711MB wheel and Nexen n3000 tire individualy from other retailers and have purchased a spare tire setup for around $348, including shipping. I also picked up a set of locking lugs as the trailer does not come with them?

- The glove box on the axis does not stay open on it's own and it is a pain to get stuff out of it. I picked up some hardware to install a damper strut to hold the GB open. These are on order and I will post some pix, after it is installed. Just a few things that bugged me b4 we start the season off-

If anyone wants info on these, just let me know-

Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-06-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
Landan, any update on yours? How is it doing? have you all had a chance to get out and ride?

Wade, unless you or the dealer specified locking lugs it did not come with them. I had to buy a set for mine. I went to boatmate's site and bought the excalibur locking lugs for close to 40. They give you 5, one for each wheel and the spare. It works great. I worked with Jerry at boatmate and they are really helpful. I got my lugs in a day from them, granted they are only 80 miles or less away lol..
We have been looking into doing something similiar but not a gas type shock...I found a spring that when bent is flexible and when opened straight it holds. just havent dont anything with it. We don't really mind as we aren't digging through it except to put stuff in at launch and take out at the end.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-07-2010, 7:40 AM Reply   
what is the price on a new axis?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       05-07-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
They start at $39,900 however most of the new ones I have found online are right around 50k with the options most people would want. I was just looking online at them last night.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-07-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
guess I will wait till they get some used ones out there
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-12-2010, 7:53 PM Reply   
Well I decided not to go with a damper strut as planned, I could not find one with a low enough force to work on the thin shell of the glove box lid. 10 lbs. force is the lowest they make and it is way too stiff for the GB lid. I had already ordered it and found out it would not work when I got it. I will just throw it on my toolbox, I hate when that thing slams shut on my knuckles!

So I went with one of the lid/hatch springs like Greg (silvermustang35) mentioned. they are made from stainless steel for sailboat hatches and work quite nicely. The one I got has a spring that is about 9" in length and about 3/8" in diameter. Just 4 screws to hold it in place and a small mod to reinforce the inner shell of the glove box. I picked one up at my local marine supply store for $14.95. Works very well, just open the GB all the way and it stays open! Then to close, just tug in the middle of the spring slightly and it closes, SWEET!

One other mod I did, was the battery/AMP-Sub compartment cushion is hard to grab hold of from the side to open, so I attached a strap to aid in the opening of the compartment cushion, much better now! That's all I had on my list of mod's, these boats are pretty much ready to go. Now that the weather is better, I'm going boardin-

Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-12-2010, 8:03 PM Reply   
all of the tanks/bags fill and drain perfectly now! I think removing the excess hose length fixed the issue.
No other issues to date to report- Very happy with the boat so far... only 6.5 hours on it so far, but the weather is getting better so we can start to rack up the hours!
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-13-2010, 4:42 AM Reply   
Wade, looks good on the mods you did. only 6.5 hours?! you need to get out there and ride haha...
We are at 26.5 hours so far and only climbing more. We had the normal 20 hour maintenance and no problems. We are just trucking along and enjoyin the boat for sure. We put the video camera mount on the tower to test recording, but my camera is a little old and its trying to pull digital from analog signal so im working on that (got a 1080p camera we hope to test sunday.) Our back tanks drain great too and no issues to report at all. Axis is a very well made boat.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-13-2010, 6:44 AM Reply   
quick question for you axis owners... how much do these boats go for?? what add ons did you get?? I know they show a starting price @ $39,995 but thats a retail figure. What are people actually paying for them?
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-13-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
Greg, tell me about it! I was out of town for the past 3 weeks for work and the weather out west here has been total crap and raining for the past few months. It has finally gotten better and we are hitting it each weekend now. Did you do 20 hour service yourself? I plan to do mine, all looks pretty simple-
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-13-2010, 11:07 AM Reply   
Bryce; we got 'Fully Loaded' package with custom color which costs more, and every possible option available (except Raptor engine) total out the door cost was 58K + some change- (including tax/lic/reg) We were limited to the only single dealer in Washington state.
Old     (ssmith)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-15-2010, 7:24 PM Reply   
I finally got to see one an Axis today at the dealer...WOW! They had 3, one of which was the black Vandall Edition. I was told $49k, does this sound right. I was hoping they were going for a bit less. What are you guys paying for these?
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-15-2010, 8:34 PM Reply   
Wade, sorry for just getting back. We have been tryin to get on the water this weekend lol...I didnt do the 20 hour service myself. Pretty much its just an oil change and checking all the fluid levels. I had the dealership do it so I had servce records with hour stamps for record keeping.
Scottie, Thats a really good price for the Vandall edition. That thing is loaded with the tower speaker, sub and interiors, and all the options including the tricked trailer which is more than the usual trailer. Thats around the going price minus the raptor engine. I think raptor throws it a bit more.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-15-2010, 9:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
I finally got to see one an Axis today at the dealer...WOW! They had 3, one of which was the black Vandall Edition. I was told $49k, does this sound right. I was hoping they were going for a bit less. What are you guys paying for these?
Thats a good price for a 2010 vandall edition. Like Greg said, that boat is loaded.
Old     (ssmith)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-16-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
Whats the retail on the Vandall? Also, what is the cheapest you can get an Axis for (excluding the Vandall)? Thanks.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-16-2010, 7:20 PM Reply   
Scottie, I'd say bare model, stripped down basic options is probably running around 39-41k ...But thats pretty basic, basic trailer etc. It will still get the job done, just no plug n play bags, regular carpet (I think its standard), normal seat, no chilax seats, docking lights, stereo etc. Dont quote me on that but im thinking that sounds about right price and option wise.
Old     (ssmith)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-16-2010, 8:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info. I guess the Vandall isn't a bad price at $49k if the base is running $41k. Hows the surf wake? I surf 90% of the time so this is a very important feature. I know the Tige and epics are known for their surf wake...just wondering if the Axis is comparable.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-17-2010, 4:56 AM Reply   
Nah, the Vandall for 49K is a really good price. I'd jump on it for sure. The surf wake is really good. I surfed with factory weight and had no problems finding the pocket and riding. There is a youtube video where McCall talks about the surf wake and the effects the wedge has. We had 4 people on the left side with the wedge down and it was really big. Without the wedge and with 4 people in the back, the surf wake was around waist high. With one person in back corner and a rider, wake is just a little under waste high. 10.2mph is about where we surf at and it cleans up well.

This is the only one I could find of us surfing...don't usually have the camera out to take surf pics. This is my buddy surfing with my gf driving and me in the back corner. I know you can't tell much but its not a bad surf wake. This was with wedge up.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-17-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
I rode behind an axis this weekend with the plug n play and it was friggin amazing. I was floored at how nice the wake was. I mean, damn.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       05-17-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
I too rode behind an axis for the first time this weekend. It only had the stock 900lbs of ballast and it was an amazing wake. We put the wedge down later and it was even better. Unfortunately I didn't get to ride behind it with the ballast and wedge but it looked amazing from the drivers seat.
Old     (jdameron)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-17-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
Sounds like you rode behind the best boat in the world there Brian (Bruizza)!!! Haha next time you come out I will make sure to put the wedge down for you
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       05-17-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
Yeah Janelle it was a very sick axis. Owned by some crazy chick named Janelle.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-18-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
Just wanted to throw out here too, I started a group called Axis Owners. Figured a good place to swap setups and mods, etc.
Old     (ssmith)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-18-2010, 7:40 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info/replies. I'd love to see a few more wake pics with the Axis totally sacked out and the wedge dropped.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-18-2010, 7:47 PM Reply   
Workin on that right now had some video from this past weekend and took snapshots from the videos...prolly try to put the pics up tomm, gotta edit the video before posting..
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-18-2010, 7:47 PM Reply   
Well we were out this weekend for 2 great days on the boat, then at 9.8 hours on the motor, we had a mechanical failure at the end of the day on Sunday. The main water pump hose burst while I was out for my set, while my wife was driving. After I completed my set and tossed the handle, she swang around to pick me up and I noticed the bilge was spewing water out the side drain. As soon as I hopped into the boat, my wife said the boat was running poorly, and she had the throttle pegged, but it was going very slow!

I lifted up the engine cover to see the engine sitting in a full bilge compartment of water! The first thing I did was dove in to the water and felt to see if somehow the bilge plug had come out, after confirming it was in place, I jumped back into the boat and started to look around for what could be causing the water to flood the engine compartment? After searching for some time, and finding nothing I decided to see if the bilge pump would empty the water out, which it did in a few minutes. The top of the motor was covered in water, on top of the air filter, and in all of the pockets of the intake manifold. I assume that with that much water in the bilge, the pulley's were slinging the water up against the engine cover, and then back down on top of the motor while she was driving. I just hope the thing did not take a big gulp of water!? I then took a towel and dried all the water from the top of the motor.

I turned on the ignition and noticed that the engine temp was at about 178 deg. which to me seems well within operational limits. So I decided to fire it up and then went back to the engine to see a large stream of water shooting out of the lower hose and into the bilge! The boat fired right up and seemed to purr in idle, so I decided to wrap it up and put back to the ramp just out of neutral. Once I had the boat out of the water, I pulled the bilge plug and let what water was there from the short trip back to shore drain out on the ride home. Needless to say, I was very bummed!

I called Axis first thing on Monday to explain the situation and they referred me to my dealer for a warranty service repair.
Then we realized that the dealer I bought my boat from (the only one in Washington state) was no longer an Axis dealer and that I could not go to them for service! So I made some more calls and have arranged to have the boat serviced/inspected at the nearest Malibu dealer which is 1 hour away. The kicker, is they said they could not get me in to look at the boat until mid June! This Sux!

I called Axis back and asked them to try and help me to get this done sooner than mid June, so they made some calls and it looks like I might get in within a week or two. In the mean time I have asked for a replacement hose, so I can at least get the boat fired up to check the engine operation. As of today, I have no hose or answer as to when I can get this looked at? I only hope I don't loose too much of my summer, due to a $10 rubber hose!

I also spoke to Indmar trying to diagnose why the boat was running so sluggishly as my wife had said, this was hard to explain exactly, as I was not driving but I told them she said with the throttle pegged, the boat was going very slow. They told me that the ECM on the boat, has a safety which will not allow RPM's above 2000, if the temperature exceeds 175F. This seems a little low if you ask me, but I guess they should know? So I hope this is in fact the reason the thing was running poorly, and not some internal damage to the engine? I don't see how that much could have happened, since she was prolly only running in that condition for 5 or 10 minutes at most?

So I would really like to get a hose to do some testing on my own, and then get the boat in for a thorough inspection to make sure no damage came of this. Of course, both Indmar and Axis told me this is the first time this has ever happened and must be a fluke? Seems I am always the exception on this sort of crap, so what the hell? Anyhow, I will let you all know the outcome as I get resolution and hope to hell this is solved b4 I head to Lake Shasta, CA for 2 weeks in late June!
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-18-2010, 8:21 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear about your boat and dealer.
Your wife would have heard a beeping sound and on the guage that has the depth, water temp etc. it should have flashed a warning if the boat went into limp mode. This is probably what happened when the boat was running sluggish.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-19-2010, 4:56 AM Reply   
Ouch Wade, sorry to hear about that too. Ours has been strong for 32 hours so far. That had to be scary times but at least the bilge was able to get ya pumped out too. Thats wild about the Axis dealership no longer being an Axis dealer. I agree with Ed that it should have flashed Service Required on the left gauge and beeped to alert you. If you turned it off and re-cranked it did it beep or anything?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-19-2010, 6:41 AM Reply   
This happened on an older x1 I had. It's really not that big of a deal. Just get your replacement hose and either unhook the battery for about ten minutes or take it to the dealer for a code clear. Either way, you should not be in limp mode any more. Sorry you had an issue. I guess hoses sometimes just fail. Wierd.

Let us know if you are able to get that part sooner. Everyone I know who has dealt with those guys at Axis have had absolutely no problems with communication and Axis has bent over backwards to help out.
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-19-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
Thanks guys... I asked her last night if she saw a check engine light or heard a warning, but she says she did not? Who knows? With the iPod jammin and her focus on driving, maybe she missed it? After I got into the boat and cleaned up the water, it fired right up for me with no warning lights or audible warnings. ran perfectly back to the dock, but again, I was only cruising just outta neutral. I do not see any codes on the dash or any signs of issues? I have an OBDII module, does this clear boat codes to? Axis is sending me a hose by this weekend, so I can get it hooked up and at least fire it up at home to check it out. The Malibu dealer has yet to call me and let me know when I can bring it in. I just don't wanna miss half my summer due to this! I will keep you posted-
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-19-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
I'm sure the hose will fix the issue. I wouldn't sweat it.
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-19-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
hope so!?
Old     (ssmith)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-20-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
Wade, sorry to hear about your bad luck. I have the same kinda luck it seems so you're not alone. Good luck on getting it ready for the water again.

Greg, where's the vid and pics? Quit holding out on us..lol.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-20-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
oK, So here are a couple pics...the ones that arent as bright as snapshots from the HD video and it may not look as big a wake since its the camera looking down at the ride not level with the rider.. I havent had a chance to upload the video yet since its a huge file and im trying to cut and clean it up. 5 minutes was about 1.2gb! But its clean HD for sure. I have better wake pics on the digital camera just gotta pull em down too.
Attached Images

Old     (jjaszkow)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-20-2010, 9:25 PM Reply   
They start working on ours tomorrow. Can't wait to take delivery.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-21-2010, 3:16 PM Reply   
Shoot me a call at 208-664-8274 ask for Bret. We will get you squared away with a hose and anything else you may need for your Axis.
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-21-2010, 5:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeride26 View Post
Shoot me a call at 208-664-8274 ask for Bret. We will get you squared away with a hose and anything else you may need for your Axis.
You might be my nearest dealer now...? I think Portland might be closer though...
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-21-2010, 5:34 PM Reply   
Got my hose today directly from Indmar, installed it, hooked up the fake-a-lake and she fired right up. @ 163f Rev'd to 4500, no issues. No leaks or drama that I can see, all looks good. I will try and get her on the water as soon as our weather cooperates. I think wer're ok, but stil want dealer to check it out.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-22-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
I would check my impellar just to be safe. Other than that it sounds like you are good to go.
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-22-2010, 2:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeride26 View Post
I would check my impellar just to be safe. Other than that it sounds like you are good to go.
Bret, correct me if I am wrong (my first inboard motor) but is the impellar on the front of the crank pulley, in the water pump? Or at another location?
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-22-2010, 3:09 PM Reply   
It is located in the water pump.
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-25-2010, 6:59 PM Reply   
ok, so here I thought I was all set, and Axis tells me that the hose I have is routed incorrectly and that I need to fix it? The hose CAN NOT be routed any other way and is the exact same hose that failed and came on the boat originally. I sent them some pix of the new hose, and this is when they told me it was incorrect.

They said it CAN NOT go under any of the rudder assembly, and has to go over it. This is not possible with the current hose, and is exactly as the boat came from factory. They told me thier hoses run on top of everything and are a straight shot from pump to cooler.

The funny thing is Axis sent me a picture of the hoses on the current production boats, and it is an entirely different hose from what I got!? Axis says that their hose is the same as they have always been and Indmar tells me that the hose I have is the correct one... Neither can tell me which is correct? I just want to have the best setup so not to worry about the damn hose again! I have Axis sending me a 'current' production hose, and will go that way. Looks much better in fit/function.

So I am asking if you fellow Axis owners can peek at your lower cooling hose (raw water pump to Trans. cooler) next time ure in ure eng. compt. and tell me which hose you have, and if it is routed like either pictured. FYI, my boat was built in the second week of Feb - 2010.

Thanx in advance!

Current hose as came on my boat:

Axis current hose in production:

Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-25-2010, 7:43 PM Reply   
The hoses are different? They look the same, just one is routes over the rudder assmbly, and yours is under. Unclamp the hose on one end, and put it over the assembly. Is there something preventing that? It is a flexible rubber hose right?

Last edited by MattieK27; 05-25-2010 at 7:51 PM.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-25-2010, 8:23 PM Reply   
It looks like the axis in production hoses are over the rudder assembly like Matt says...I see why it is above it for sure...can you move yours above it? Would it have to be trimmed? I would think do that and you're set...good luck,
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-25-2010, 8:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
The hoses are different? They look the same, just one is routes over the rudder assmbly, and yours is under. Unclamp the hose on one end, and put it over the assembly. Is there something preventing that? It is a flexible rubber hose right?
NO, entirely different hoses. Different lengths and shapes. Indmar has different part numbers for both. I can not run my hose over the rudder assembly, it is too long and will not go. Just curious what the other Axis' have on them?
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-25-2010, 8:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermustang35 View Post
It looks like the axis in production hoses are over the rudder assembly like Matt says...I see why it is above it for sure...can you move yours above it? Would it have to be trimmed? I would think do that and you're set...good luck,
I could cut it to shorten it up, but then the molded in bends will not line up, and it would kink.
I am getting a newer version of the hose from Axis, just curious what the other Axis' have? When you get a chance, have a look at yours, and let me know what you find?
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-26-2010, 12:10 PM Reply   
You can clearly see the difference between the 2 hoses-

Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-27-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
Is the area where the last hose failed in the spot where the rudder mechanism goes over the hose as you currently have it mounted? Does the rudder mechanism ever contact the hose now? If the answer to these questions is "no" what's the big deal? Now, it it looks like the hose was redesigned to prevent a failure or something, I understand why you'd want the different part. I would too.

Who knows, maybe it was simply redesigend to make the hose shorter and save some material cost.
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-27-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Is the area where the last hose failed in the spot where the rudder mechanism goes over the hose as you currently have it mounted? Does the rudder mechanism ever contact the hose now? If the answer to these questions is "no" what's the big deal? Now, it it looks like the hose was redesigned to prevent a failure or something, I understand why you'd want the different part. I would too.

Who knows, maybe it was simply redesigend to make the hose shorter and save some material cost.
No and No, The hose burst, on the top corner, due to faulty material, nothing touching/rubbing it.
I was all happy with the new hose, until Axis told me it was wrong, and the hose SHOULD NOT route under the rudder assembly. This is what got me thinking... So I opted for the new hose.

My reason for requesting other Axis owners to tell me how theirs is routed is purely curiosity. As Axis is saying one thing, and Indmar is saying another. Axis swears that they have never routed the hoses under the rudder assembly, which mine clearly was. This can only happen if the longer hose is installed on the motor, from Indmar. There is simply NO other way to run the hose. Axis sent me pictures of the shorter hose and said that they have always been this way, but if so, how do I have the so-called wrong hose?

Yet, Indmar tells me that all motors built for Axis, including mine and current ones, have the older style, longer hose on them, as clearly called out on the bill of materials for the motors. So something is array and was just curious... Don't really care, now that I have the newer shorter hose coming, just thought it was strange? Perhaps other Axis owners might want to check theirs and make sure nothing is rubbing on the hose?

Again, just curious what the other owners have, hoping to get some clarity as to how I ended up with the strange hose...
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-27-2010, 9:56 AM Reply   
If the failure had nothing to do with which hose it was, I would say you are good. My supra has the older style hose and it runs fine. As long as the engine gets water that is the important part. Time to go to the lake and have fun..........
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-27-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
Word!