Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old     (tnyhwk)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-30-2003, 4:09 AM Reply   
Ok, here it is. No magazines or pros trying to please there sponsors. Just a regular wakeboarders review of the new x-star wake.

My friend sold his 2000 xstar and picked up his new 03 xstar easter weekend. The color is lime green with a blue accent. Sound wierd at first but it is a sharp looking boat.

The boat had a full tank of gas, the ballast was full, and 4 guys in the boat (1 rider, 3 observers). We road at 77' and 27mph. Sounds fast, but both the speedo and perfect pass were reading the same. We want to get a GPS to verify the speed. We normally ride at 23mph.

The wake was clean, solid, and balanced. The shape of it is the same as the old xstar, it is a long ramp. The size of the wake is similar to any other boat with 1000lbs of ballast. The general comments from the rest of our group was, "It's a sharp boat, nice wake to ride, but with an additional 1000lbs of ballast we could really have some fun".

As for driving the boat. It drives and handles very nice, if you hit the double up at 90 your CD player does not even skip. Very smooth through the double up. The nose gets very close to the water when you cut the throttle. So it would be easy to catch a wave when you turn around to pick up a rider. My friend got the fiberglass platform, it is very large but has not transom saver. His rule is this "the platform is large enough that you don't need it, but if you do hit the transom you lose your turn in the rotation".

To conclude. Very sharp looking boat. Great driving boat. If you like a wake that is shaped like a ramp, then this is the boat for you. If you like a little more vert in the wake, then you might want to stick with a SANTE.
Old    tattoobling            04-30-2003, 6:16 AM Reply   
Lime Green and Blue? Pictures Please! I gotta see this.
Old     (tnyhwk)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-30-2003, 6:30 AM Reply   
unfortunately nobody in our group has a digital camera. So pictures will be hard to get. The blue is more of an interior accent color. Not on the exterior of the boat
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-30-2003, 8:05 AM Reply   
sounds nice, but doesn't sound like a $70k boat...
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-30-2003, 8:18 AM Reply   
Sounds very much like the same review a couple of my friends had on one too.

They had the chance last week to try a '03 XStar out on Lk. Sammamish. Said that the boat handled very well with the ballast in it and that wake was clean with a good ramp.

The price seems to be the sticking point, it's nothing special for the $$$.
Old    hlboatsnboards            04-30-2003, 8:40 AM Reply   
I know I am biased, but I have to agree with everyone else on here. Sounds like a very nice, eye catching boat that does nothing more then any other wakeboard boat will do. What was the starting price on that boat when he bought it?

Bill
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-30-2003, 9:06 AM Reply   
I don't know if I'd quite say "eye catching". At least for me, it's pretty darn ugly. Maybe it will just take a while to get used to. No offense to your friends boat Don, but in lime green it sounds particularly ugly...
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-30-2003, 9:13 AM Reply   
Here's my $.02 for the whole deal. Several Dallas area riders got a few pulls behind it last week before the VTC here in Ft Worth. Their impressions were very good - the wake was long with a good lip.

One comment was it felt like the ramp lasted a long time.

I didn't hear very many negative comments about the boat all weekend. I was interested in the bow dip everyone was complaining about after the Orlando stop and I can definitely see how it COULD come over the bow but not once last weekend did I see it happen.

My personal opinion (and I've got an 02XStar) is that it's a great boat w/ some revolutionary ideas but is the wake $30K better than my 02? NO.

Wake pic from VTC

Water over the bow pic (this is as close as it ever got)

New 03
Old    wake08            04-30-2003, 9:29 AM Reply   
I know I will get flammed for this post but I just need to make this comment. Everyone keeps saying how this boat's wake is not worth 30k (or whatever the price difference) more than another boat. The thing is though, you are only taking into account one factor in addressing the price difference when there are many. The most important of these is the size factor. When compared to an 02x-star or SANTE this boat which is much bigger than both throws a wake of the same caliber. I havent seen the wake but lets say its teh same as the 02x-star u are getting the same wake from a boat that can hold more people and has alot more storage and space. Plus over teh 02, this boat has other minor difference, two gas fills, larger gas tank, two batteries, new ballast system that is built into the boat, all things that make it more expensive to some degree.

Basically my point is that when commenting on whether this boat is worth it or not, we must include all the factors and not just wake. For some people paying an extra 30k for those little new features and the extra space while maintaining a pro size wake is a justified expense.

Okay I made my point, please dont flame me too much

Later guys and gals,
Adam
Old     (eljefepequeno)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-30-2003, 9:40 AM Reply   
Zack-
I think that picture (the middle one) is a great example of what everyone was complaining about. Look at how low the bow is, and I do not see any rollers. If that is the lowest it got in broken butter, what do you think will happen with rollers or even medium-sized windchop? I understand that you didn't see it happen, but not everyone has access to small, private, and protected lakes like the Tournaments do.

The lakes and rivers I go on are public access so dealing with stray rollers and windchop is a daily occurance. I don't always have water like the picture shown there.

Don't get me wrong, I, personally, like the looks of the new X-Star(Except for the dash) and think MC should be applauded for this.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-30-2003, 9:45 AM Reply   
I just hope that we (consumers) are not teaching the industry a bad habit. That being $70K plus for a boat like this is ok.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-30-2003, 9:46 AM Reply   
I figured the boat would be 8 to 10 thousand more than the original Xstar. Is it really $30,000 more? What is the MSRP on the new Xstar? If it is out the door, done the deal $30,000 more, then that is crazy! I just can't believe that could be true. I'm not saying you all don't have your facts straight, I'm just shocked. At that price I wouldn't think too many people would go that route.
Old     (tnyhwk)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-30-2003, 9:46 AM Reply   
Like I stated, it was my friend who dumped the cash for the boat. If I were in the market to buy a boat I would look for the best wake for the buck. I don't need storage space because all my friends and I live on a lake. A '95-'99 nautique super sport, or a '99-'02 xstar are boats with top notch wakes for a good price. (forgive the exclusion of other boats, have not ridden them much). I have two friends that each one just bought a mint 99 nautique super sport for around 28K. Hard to argue with saving 30+k.
Old    clint_h            04-30-2003, 9:49 AM Reply   
Boys and Girls it all boils down to economics and supply and demand. The new X Star is in limited production this year and the demand far exceeds the supply. That is how you justify the $60-$70K for this boat. What would you be willing to pay to get one of only five boats being sold in North Texas?

Furthermore, how in the world do you justify paying over $40K for any of these wakeboard boats? I really wish Mastercraft and these other boat companies were publicly traded and they released their financial results. I'm sure their profit margin is huge! (The company and not necessarily the dealers) As long as there are suckers out here willing to pay $40K or $50K or $60K for these boats, I’m willing to bet boat companies like Mastercraft will continue to supply them.
Old    aka Bradley Beach            04-30-2003, 10:05 AM Reply   
I agree that the bow looks low in the water BUT you've got to realize that there is 2 feet of fiberglass before you even get to the actual "bow" where the seating is. This is the step where the ladder folds out. Therefore water might come up on the ladder step and it might look low but if these pro guys are driving this thing through double ups and stuff and saying water isn't running into the bow(aka the seating area) then we must believe them. Why would they lie about?

I'm tired of listening to "oh I saw the water come over the bow from a hundred yards away after only 6 beers" or "I saw it on the pro tour take water 3 times in whatever" If the guys that were in the boat for 10 hours a day didn't see the water coming over the bow then it probably didn't happen. Not to mention for all you who are worried about the water, LEARN HOW TO DRIVE YOUR BOAT! My prostar would chilly dip the nose every single time I circled around to pick up a rider if I didn't know how to drive.

Ask someone if you don't know, but stop bitching about it please!
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-30-2003, 10:07 AM Reply   
Adam, I think you do make a good point. If you can get the same wake (or better) and have tons more room, I'm sure that's worth it to some. I personally would have a hard time justifying anywhere close to that expense, not to mention the fact it would never fit in my garage.

I guess bottom line is, to each his own. Also, I guess we have to remember that SAN's and X-2's also have a very high retail number that usually gets hugely discounted. When MC is only making a few of these the first year, they are going to get retail, as people are willing to pay to be the first. Personally makes no sense to me to pay $70k without ever riding in the boat, but in a few years, you'll be able to demos the thing, and most likely be able to get that 20% off retail that most new boats go for...
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-30-2003, 10:20 AM Reply   
Adam - you make a great point about the little things which are different between the 2 boats (02 vs 03) but i can carry almost the same number of people in mine, store about the same amount of stuff (I removed the hard tanks for bags), etc. therefore it's mainly just the wake and the "geee-whiz" factor justifying $30K difference between the boats.

Wilson - a guy here in Dallas is looking at buying one and I also talked to the TXMC owner jokingly about trading in my 02 and asked what the yellow one (already sold) is stickering for. The price was almost $70K. Keep in mind this boat is loaded to the gills and includes the new Boss 630's ($1400) and a complete MBQuart system in it (est $4000).

Clint made the correct point - we all pay too much for our boats but there is negotiation room in the price - but this is not the case with the new X as there are only 90 being produced nationwide so you're at MC's mercy.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-30-2003, 10:23 AM Reply   
Adam, I think you do make a good point. If you can get the same wake (or better) and have tons more room, I'm sure that's worth it to some. I personally would have a hard time justifying anywhere close to that expense, not to mention the fact it would never fit in my garage.

I guess bottom line is, to each his own. Also, I guess we have to remember that SAN's and X-2's also have a very high retail number that usually gets hugely discounted. When MC is only making a few of these the first year, they are going to get retail, as people are willing to pay to be the first. Personally makes no sense to me to pay $70k without ever riding in the boat, but in a few years, you'll be able to demos the thing, and most likely be able to get that 20% off retail that most new boats go for...
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-30-2003, 10:41 AM Reply   
I thought the new X-Stars have a version of the Purevert ballast system. If so, why are there three (maybe five?) drain holes on the starboard side of the yellow boat?

Does the stock system have 1000 pounds of ballast? If so, what would it take to get it up to 2000 or 2500 pounds? Would you have install a complete new system to supplement the stock system?
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       04-30-2003, 11:24 AM Reply   
Good point about the extra money… same discussion people have been having about the cost difference between the ‘top three’ vs. some of the other manufacturers. Only the dollar amount is now way higher…

The stock ballast system is similar to MB and Calabria where they have it built into the hull. Local MC Seattle dealer says it’s about 1200 lbs. They still have it at the showroom even thought it’s sold. I still gotta go see it in person.

Both MB and MC use pumps to fill and drain their systems. Calabria is pump free. I doubt you can tie any additional bags to the stock set up if you want to add more weight. I have not read about anyone with an MB or Calabria that has tried it. (Anyone??)

Sounded like a marketing spin to me… but, both MB (yeah I personally talked to him at the night of the stars) says they used pumps for better control of weight distribution. Local MC dealer says it’s faster to fill with pumps due to the amount of foam flotation in the boat….
Old    bigeasy_e            04-30-2003, 11:26 AM Reply   
yeah don you hit right off mang! I am one of the riders who rides with don and I have ridden behind the very boat he is talking about, I think the big killer is having to ride at 28mph cause now you are taking alot of size down from that wake, also if you are going to ride that fast you just have to add more weight and then we are talking about a good wake, cause I like the shape it gives a very smooth transition so you do not feel like you are charging a brick wall, you can come off clean and smooth, but it could change I guess with more weight. as far as the look you would be surpassed but lime green is actually really cool, with the blue. anyways don's boat is the real deal with over a 1000 lbs. of lead you want to go high ride that boat it is dead weight you can not beat that, the laws of physics do not lie.
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-30-2003, 11:39 AM Reply   
Why were you guys driving so fast? What happened when you tried to board at 22/23mph? Was wake shape the problem? I'm still on the fence which boat to get. The idea of filling both gas tanks every day, all summer long has me a little wary. I'm scared that I might be able to afford the boat, but not the gas to run it....

BTW, MC is supposedly dropping the price of the X-2 once X-Star production can meet demand. (i.e. was supposed to be dropped in 2004, but it might be 2005 now.)
Old    wake08            04-30-2003, 11:41 AM Reply   
only one gas tank, with two gas fills, one on either side
Old    bigeasy_e            04-30-2003, 11:48 AM Reply   
DUDE I KNOW IF WERE GOING TO BUY A BOAT I WOULD PERSONALLY SPEND 15 TO 20K LESS AND GO WITH A AIR NATIQUE BUT THAT IS MY OPINION, I FEEL IS THE BEST WAKE ON THE MARKET, BUT I HAVE NOT RIDDEN BEHIND A TIGE EITHER AND I HEARD THOSE ARE PRETTY SWEET, BUT I WOULD GET THE NATIQUE BEFORE THE X-STAR MY OPION DO NOT PILE ON ME OUT THERE FOR ALL THE MC OWNERS.
Old    bigeasy_e            04-30-2003, 11:54 AM Reply   
LIKE I WAS SAYING DON HAS A SUPER SPORT NATIQUE AND NOT BLOW SMOKE UP HIS BUTT. BUT THAT THING IS BRAWNO! IT IS THE BEST WAKE I HAVE RIDDEN BEHIND TO THIS DAY.
Old     (tnyhwk)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-30-2003, 12:06 PM Reply   
I was not on the maiden voyage when the fellas had a hard time getting the wake to take a good shape. From what I understand they just kept bumping the speed up until the wake was clean. I think the speedos need to be checked. It did not feel like 27, it felt like normal speed.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-30-2003, 12:12 PM Reply   
Jeff, the blue X-Star was seen on Sammamish. A skyski even nicked the swim step...

I did not make it out, some of the more flexible working hours guys did.
Old    wake08            04-30-2003, 12:16 PM Reply   
I think everyone is just expecting to much from this boat. And most of it is MC's fault with their marketing campaign for the boat claiming normal wakes to be of double up sizes etc... But that is all it is, a marketing campaing. You guys cant take all of that so seriously, every manufacturer of boats, cars, etc... all do it to create hype over their product. I personally have a new x-star on order (should be here in 2 weeks ) but all i am expecting is a wake equal to that of the X-2 with alot more room inside for the friends family and gear. I just think the expectations are too high on this boat. If we all think about it logically we will realize that the wake is in fact a great one that comes out of a boat that is better than the previous generations. Thats all it is. Much easier to be happy when u dont take in all the hype.

By the way, I had an X-10 before this and would never have gotten an X-2(x-star) because of the size dilema. But now I can have the best of both worlds, and that is the true value of this boat.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-30-2003, 12:21 PM Reply   
I am looking forward to seeing the new VLX.

If they add some vert to the wake and increase the gas tank size, I am all over that boat!

Or, if CC improves their storage space/access on the SAN, I am all over that boat!
Old    tattoobling            04-30-2003, 12:39 PM Reply   
$30 grand? So we're all assuming that to move from an X-2 to an X-Star with identical engine, options, and equipment you've got to pay an extra $30,000. Instead of gross generalizations let's look at the details: Although nobody in their right mind pays MSRP let's look at the difference. MSRP on an X-Star is 63k, X-2 is 46k, making an initial difference of $17,000. But an X-Star comes standard with an additional $8,700 worth of options, making the REAL DIFFERENCE $8,300 AT MOST. Since we all pay less than MSRP the difference is even smaller, about $7,000 I'd say. (An '03 X-2 comes standard with the following equipment: Tower w/ no board racks and graphics. That's IT. Nothing else. An '03 X-Star comes with the following: Tower WITH board racks, Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro, Triple Ballast System, CD Player with 6 speakers, 2 500 watt amps, a 10" subwoofer, and Depth Finder. $8,697 worth of equipment.) SO ALL THE SUDDEN YOUR $30 GRAND IS NOW ABOUT $8,000!!!! Yes, any sane person will most likely upgrade the motor on an X-Star but a $1,700 MCX does just fine and most X-2 buyers get the MCX any way. So, I repeat - THE $30,000 DIFFERENCE, FOR THE RECORD, IS ACTUALLY ABOUT $8 GRAND!
Old    natedogg            04-30-2003, 12:43 PM Reply   
Following Clint, sort of
Here is what I think about the pricing of mastercraft boats. Mastercraft only allows you to buy from your local dealer, so there is no competition between dealers. If you live in Utah there is one place that you can buy a new mastercraft so if you want it bad enough you are going to pay the price that they set. There is no shopping around for your best price. To me that is why there is such a big profet margine. I think if you were able to but outside or you area there would be a drop in prices
Old     (jrudd)      Join Date: May 2002       04-30-2003, 12:49 PM Reply   
Nate,
Why can you not buy outside of your area? Did MC put one of those dog collars on your neck that shocks you when you get within 60 miles of another MC dealer?
Old    gotpwr            04-30-2003, 12:55 PM Reply   
Thanks Kaiser for injecting facts into the pricing discussion. I was wondering how people were coming up with 30K less for a comparably equipped X-2/SAN. Your numbers make a lot more sense.
Old    tattoobling            04-30-2003, 12:56 PM Reply   
Forgot cleats, X-Star is standard with cleats. That's another $382. $30 Grand is now $7,918. But than again that doesn't contradict most of the logic used around here.
Old    natedogg            04-30-2003, 1:57 PM Reply   
Justin,

I never said that it couldn’t be done; trust me I know because I did it. We only have one dealer in our state. I ended up driving half way across the country, for the deal that I got. The problem was after I got the boat home my dealer was not happy. You know from your owners manual that only certified mastercraft mechanics’ can work on your boat or it voids the factory warranty! We ended up lucky because our dealer was out to stand behind the product they sold and worked on out boat. Mastercraft left it up to our dealer to honor our warranty. I was told personally from mastercraft that because we bought out of our geographical area our local dealer did not have to work with us. This deal was a mess and lawyers were involved, not because of the deal but because the dealer that sold out of his territory and tried to take my baby back!!! I challenge anyone to call mastercraft or a dealer outside of your area or state tell them where you are from and if they still want to sell you a boat and do, get ready for a roller coaster ride
Old    aka Bradley Beach            04-30-2003, 2:05 PM Reply   
I've seen mastercraft revoke dealership rights from dealers that sell out of their area. It happened to a dealer in St. Louis last year for selling to a guy in KC and low-balling another dealer.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-30-2003, 2:13 PM Reply   
That's just gay!

B-
Old    natedogg            04-30-2003, 2:26 PM Reply   
Thanks for the back up K state. I do have to say the our dealer has been nothing but great with us since all of this has happened. But the stress from all of this was unreal. So if you are thinking about outside or your area you will save money, but you might not have a warranty!!!
Old    mikep            04-30-2003, 2:53 PM Reply   
I've seen the arguement made several times that the real advantage to the new x-star is that it's way bigger than the old x and the SAN. I think that's great and in fact that's why I bought my Tige'...loaded the rim for under $50k. By the way if you haven't ridden behind a new 22V loaded with 2000+ pounds check it out as the aboved mentiond boats have nothing on the new 22v wake.
Old    nectar75            04-30-2003, 2:56 PM Reply   
I have a MC dealer about 5 minutes from my house. I had encountered some horrible customer sevice from them when we owned our MC Prostar. When we purchased our X-Star last year, we drove an hour away to buy it at another MC dealer. At first they told us that they could not help us. We told them that if they do not sell us the boat than we would not buy a MC and would be forced to buy another manufacturers boat. They explained to us that it would be a problem because that dealer by my house was supposed to get our business. We said that we would write a letter to MC. They then sold us the boat. They had only asked that if something was to arise from this that we would back them up with MC headquarters. Not only is the service much better at this dealer but so was the price of the boat $8500 less.
Old     (jrudd)      Join Date: May 2002       04-30-2003, 3:03 PM Reply   
I am sorry to hear of your troubles Nate. We bought our MC from a dealer in another area. Never had a single issue with service or warranty work. We asked several times throughout the purchase if getting our warranty fulfilled would be a problem. We were reassured that any MC dealer could take care of any problems. For us this was the case, the local dealer, TEXAS MASTERCRAFT, has been nothing short of amazing. Even the dealer we bought from was great to deal with and stood behind what they said.

Kaiser,
It seems as though your logic and facts are being ignored. Hopefully those who spoke of the ripoff will speak up and take notice of the real difference in price. For what its worth though people will be paying very close to retail for the X-Star while others are going to be paying well under retail for the X-2. So the real difference, atleast for the time being, is closer to 12-15K. But to me that is still worth the jump just as Adam said above.
Old    wake08            04-30-2003, 3:16 PM Reply   
Porter, those are some real strong opinions you have of your boat, and I know that challenging them will only bring a war with no one agreeing with the other. I will make this one point though. You get what you pay for. Gotta be some reason the boat is so cheap, and I have some reasons but I am not gonna start.

PS - Wakeboard pro's have told me that the only thing they like to use the tige for is wake surfing, otherwise they dont like it.

Haha sorry I couldnt help it, not lookin to start a war, although I am sure I will with this post.
Old    natedogg            04-30-2003, 3:55 PM Reply   
See the dealer that we bought our boat from ended up being a slime ball out to make only a quick buck knowing that they would never have to service it again. Our local dealer tried to work a deal but didn't want to give me anything for my trade. After calling just about every MC dealer in the country we found one about 800 miles away. The drive was well worth the savings totaling about 14,000 off msrp. Al I can say is I got the boat that I dreamed about but the headache was a big one!!

To an earlier post about the msrp of a X-2 being 46k, what comes on one for that price?? Look at traderonline maybe I missed the one that was 46k. msrp on most of the new X series is around 60k so The new x star 70k don't think that is too far out of the ball park. The think about it is there are people who would pay 80K. SUPPLY AND DEMAND plus hype = a boat that will sell out!!

Just my 3cents
Old     (jrudd)      Join Date: May 2002       04-30-2003, 4:02 PM Reply   
Nate he was saying that the MSRP of the X-2 starts at 46K, that is barebones. So you seeing the MSRP for near 60K sounds about right.
Old    xtigeman            04-30-2003, 4:05 PM Reply   
I Liked Adam's comment's from above. The wake is but one aspect. You generally cannot get a good high quality wake froma boat that large. So you have a great wake, big boat, lots of room, and killer storage.

I imagine when someone really loads one down, the wake will truly be a monster.
Old    natedogg            04-30-2003, 4:17 PM Reply   
Thanks Justin, was a little concerned there. I was about ready to find out who his dealer was. That would have made a purchase price around 36k.

I guess that price is possible as long as they threw in 12 extra paddles so you can get around on the lake!!
Old    philv            04-30-2003, 5:01 PM Reply   
I rode behind the X-Star in Texas at the VTC during the demo days pulls Mastercraft was giving. I also had the opportunity to ride behind Gator's Super Air Nautique the same day for his "Fully Committed" tour so I had a virtual direct comparison (few hours apart). I dont own either of these boats or have plans on getting either one any time soon so I can honestly say that I am unbiased. I was sooooo excited to get a pull behind the X-Star snf for the most part I wasn't disappointed. Big wake, VERY rampy (IMO), and was really wide. I actually had much more fun behind the Super Air than the X-Star. Maybe I felt intimidated by the fact that we had a limited time to ride and I didnt want to crash, but it seemed that it was easier to go big behind the Super Air than it was the X-Star. The wake size on both was very big, cant say really if one had the advantage there, but the SA just seemed to kick me in the air more and I always landed several feet outside the Nautique wake where I cased the X-Stars wake a few times. If I were more of a hard charger and did not have a drifting style of riding I think the X-Star would be a very good choice, but for me the Super Air was preferrable. The X's wake was really similar to my Calabria (a littel wider though). Bottom line is the new X-Star is a fine boat, no doubt, but it isn't the new standard. Just my opinion though.
Old    bigd            04-30-2003, 5:55 PM Reply   
My Tige is a biatch to keep the rollers from coming over the bow and it appears to sit way higher in the water than the boat above. I never see water as smooth as above, so my bet is that anyybody running that boat is taking a "bath"...
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-01-2003, 6:35 AM Reply   
I shopped around and got about 4 prices before I bought from my local MC dealer. None of the other dealers said anything about me having to buy from my local dealer.
For the record Malibu dealers WILL NOT compete against each other. I called around to try and price a VLX and the dealers actually called each other. I had never seen anything like that before. The first question they would ask me was where I lived and why I didn't just go to my local Malibu dealer. The whole point of shopping around is so you can make an informed decision. How do you know what kind of deal your getting if you don't get several prices.
Old    natedogg            05-01-2003, 7:45 AM Reply   
Wilson, That was the thing about it, I know how good the deal was that I got by calling around. Mastercraft dealers are not to compete either but there are a few who will just for the sale. My whole point was that mastercraft does set areas for each dealer, and if they didn't I don't think the boats would cost as much as they do because I can just go for a short drive and get a better deal.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-01-2003, 9:00 AM Reply   
Nate,
I know what your saying. Maybe it's a company tradition for MC dealers not to step on each other's toes. I just wasn't an issue when I shopped around. One dealership I spoke with told me they had sold several boats to people in my home town.I know they were telling me the truth because I had seen an new x9 and new Prostar on the lake I ride on.
While shopping for my boat I found Nautiques to be a little higher than MC and Malibu. I got into my MC cheaper than a VLX. So in my experience MC isn't priced higher than the "top 3". I've never had any luck with my local Malibu dealer but my local MC dealer always gives me a better deal than anyone.Of course I was trading in my MC Prostar too so I'm sure that did factor into the better deal from MC. For some reason the Malibu guys just won't negotiate much with me though.
I just find that interesting that boat dealers use that approach. It certainly keeps the buyer from playing one dealership against another. I do that all the time when buying a vehicle and it does work well.
Honestly even if my local dealer had not given me a great price but was close to the other dealers price I would have gone local just because I couldn't imagine pulling my boat 2 hrs one way to get it fixed if something happened. I live 20 minutes from my dealer. I've already taken back once for a minor problem.

Old    bambamski            05-01-2003, 11:34 AM Reply   
I have a question? I always hear on this forum how the SAN is such a great boat. I've never ridden behind one and didn't consider one because of the layout and how small it was. I don't doubt that it's a great boat my question is if it's so good why don't more people buy them? If you look at the boat stats from the last couple years they are getting demolished in the sales area from Mastercraft, Malibu, Skiers Choice, and Tige was right on their heals. Why don't more people buy them?
Old    wake08            05-01-2003, 11:52 AM Reply   
I think most of it has to do with the same reasons you mentioned size and layout. For the most part the other boat companies you mentioned are larger and more family/friends oriented boats.

And I think (my opinion) that most people who are buying these boats are older people, as in not teenagers, given how expensive people. The nautique is geared more towards that teenager younger group while the other boats I think appeal more to people who like wakeboarding but also need the boat to function as a family boat. And the other companies you mentioned do a better job at doing that.
Old    hydrotek            05-01-2003, 2:02 PM Reply   
I will have to comment here and admit that TEXAS MASTERCRAFT is a premier dealership. Those guys are awesome when it comes to ANYTHING. They dont have that type of success without being one of the best in the world. All my respect to Jimmy and those guys....
Old    x10            05-01-2003, 9:58 PM Reply   
All of this talk about Mastercraft sales territories and nobody has mentioned that Nautique has a policy of not allowing dealers to sell boats to buyers out of their area. I went in to the Redding, CA dealer in 2000 and when I mentioned I was from the Bay Area they said they could not help me because of this policy.

Around here Ski World in Pleasanton (who is the Best) and Cope and Mcphetres sell and compete. Even the Sacramento Cope's will sell to this area.
Old    steveaz            05-01-2003, 10:19 PM Reply   
I didn't read all the posts (A.D.D.) anyway, a couple of things I've noticed and maybe someone that's been in the boat can comment.

1st, that second pic...that bow is LOW. There's nobody in the bow, is it full of lead? Yeah, someone said there's a couple feet for the ladder....big deal, once water starts traveling up the nose, it's going to end up in someones lap. I used to have closed bow and if water came over the bow, it traveled the length of the bow and right up the windshield to provide a nice surprise for whoever was in the observers seat. So unless you BARELY dip the bow, it's coming in.

2nd, everyone says the boat is huge but it appears the cockpit isn't any bigger if as big as a VLX. Personally, I don't like having anyone in the bow unless I have quite a few people in the boat. To me, the cockpit is the best place for everyone as then I don't feel like I'm alienating anyone, they don't obstruct the drivers vision.....

I also think there are some pretty cool features too. Well, mostly the ballast, I wish every manufacturer did that.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-02-2003, 6:54 AM Reply   
Couldn't agree more w/ steveaz. Yes i am sure that bow in the pic has lead in it, but add a few rollers to that and the error margin doesen't look great.

So what if there is a few feet of glass fiber befroe the bow. As also a previuos closed bow owner, once that water starts traveling over, not even the windshield does much to stop it.

And yes, it it avoidable, but why would I want to spend my days avoiding it when I wouldn't have to?

Old    mikep            05-02-2003, 10:08 AM Reply   
Adam. I don't think my opinions were too strong. I merely mentioned that some people are making a big deal about the new X having space and storage - something that Tige' has had for some time. Now with the Tige' '03 hulls I am saying the wake is great. I don't think anyone will argue that Tige' doesn't have a ton of space and storage. The real arguement would be about the wake. You say you've heard that pros don't like riding behind Tige's. I've also heard pros thought the new x-star wake was soft, but what does that really mean? Is that an educated statement, or some off-hand comment? Bottom line, if you haven't ridden behind the boat you have no way of making an educated evaluation or even a statement about wake, do you? My guess is you've never ridden behind a 2003 22V fully weighted based on the comments you make.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-02-2003, 10:40 AM Reply   
the bow has 520 lbs of lead in it, most of it right in the tip, in that cooler. i honestly have never had water come into the bow. but, anyboat with weight in it is likely to take some in if you aren't paying attention.
i will say that normally i hate people being in the bow. i never take my snap covers off of my x-2, or my x-star i had last year. but, in the new x-star i didn't mind it at all. its so big that they aren't right up in your face. its seems like people are suppose to be up there. and, the cock pit is quite a bit bigger than the vlx. darin has one, and going from the x-star makes his boat seem small.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-02-2003, 10:43 AM Reply   
Porter, Sounds like you got the ballast system installed…. So ho much over 2k are your running. What about the stereo stuff…? We are going out Sunday… you gonna have the the Tige out too??
Old    mikep            05-02-2003, 10:51 AM Reply   
Hey Jeff. Ya, I just installed a the Download Ballast for four sacks. I have one more sack to plumb under the bow floor. I have two 550s in the rear storage, two sacks in the bow storage(about 350 pounds), and another under the floor of the bow (another 350), plus 600 in lead. So that total weight should be about 2300 pounds. I should be out on Sunday, I'm not sure what time. What time are you heading out?
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       05-02-2003, 11:38 AM Reply   
Probably about 8:00. Riding with Cliff, Scotty, and Brad. Think we will mess around with the weight and try to do some surfing too.

Looking forward to seeing that wake of yours now that you got some real weight! What about your stereo....
Old    mikep            05-02-2003, 11:51 AM Reply   
Nice. I would love to go surfing again. Hahn keeps telling me he's going to get a couple boards, but has yet to deliver!

HAHN? What do you have to say for yourself?
Old    wake08            05-02-2003, 12:30 PM Reply   
Porter, I guess I need to clarify. I am not arguing against the fact that the tige is big on the inside. On the contrary, I love how much room the boat has inside. My comments were based on you opinion on the wake and price. You said the price was alot less, and my comment was you get what you pay for. There must be some reason it is cheaper (and dont attribute it all to name). And second I was making the point that wake is subjective, you saying that all the other boats have nothing on ur 22v's wake. Thats why I stated that pro's and others have told me they arent not fans of the tige wake. Its all opinion. If you are happy with your wake awsome. Thats all that matters.

Adam
Old     (tnyhwk)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-18-2003, 11:13 AM Reply   

2003 mastercraft x-star lime green/med blue #1
2003 mastercraft x-star lime green/med blue #2
Old     (tnyhwk)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-18-2003, 12:13 PM Reply   
justin here. owner of the above 2003 x-star and friend of don and ed. i d have my own account if i could get a activation key.
ggrr. lol
ok anyhow: nice, huh? lol. hey everybody likes something different. just remember that.
well this is my personal take: what? could we really believe the hype from mastercraft that " its like riding a double-up on a atright pass." i would have liked to, but this is what they give us. being used to my previous 2k0 x-star i like the "ramp" style wake on the mastercrafts, as opposed to (but not dislike) a "kicker" style wake.
i have not added any additional weight cause i transport it to the lakes around here. it could use some more weight, but we have not had to many more than 4 people in the boat. "friends make great ballast and good times!"
as far as the price goes, you all know enuff to figure out how much they go for and no it does nothing special over the others.
does the escalade "do anything more" than a yukon or suburbn, no,but it sure is nice.
actually i started riding @ 82 feet and 27½ ACCORDING TO THE PERFECT PASS, ( not say its accurate). and i am enjoying this boat with my buds everytime we ride. to me,that is all that matters.
and this boat was not 30 k more than my well equipped 2000 x-star. 10 2 hi ;-)
clint holland made a good point about supply and demand. cheers and the suckers comment made me laugh. lol its all good.
and what about the bow being so low, again who cares. maybe you should not do whip turns to hurry back to you rider and a "ski boat is a ski boat" they dont belong out in the rough waters. wow you people are rough.! anyhow if you want look me up @ ffaxisman@aol.com">offaxisman@aol.com
Old     (tnyhwk)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-18-2003, 12:20 PM Reply   
double up on a straight pass and
cheers, the "suckers" comment made me laugh
just a pic!
Old    xtigeman            05-18-2003, 12:54 PM Reply   
I like the green and that thing is huge looking even behind that big truck.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-18-2003, 1:28 PM Reply   
just one pic of the damn wake, PLEASE!

(from the boat - where we're used to seeing wakes)
Old     (tnyhwk)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-18-2003, 1:53 PM Reply   
JUSTIN HERE ( OWNER OF THAT LIME GREEN X-STAR)sory havent had a chance to post a pic of the wake as of yet. this posting part of wake world is new to me. sorry guess i seen sum 1ns pic in there "profile" that i e-mailed. oops.
Old    xtigeman            05-18-2003, 2:12 PM Reply   
You guys in Oxford? What lake do you go to. I am in Memphis.
Old     (bcoppinger)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-18-2003, 2:57 PM Reply   
Why the blue trailer?

(Message edited by bcoppinger on May 18, 2003)
Old     (tnyhwk)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-18-2003, 3:10 PM Reply   
JUSTIN HERE AND YES WE R IN OXFORD. WE RIDE TAN, SQUAW, STONEY AND LAKEVILLE REGUARLY AND "WHY THE BLUE TRAILER?" CAUSE ALL THE ACCENTS ARE BLUE INCLUDING THE BIMINI(AS YOU CAN SEE) THE FIBERGLASS PLATFORM (AS YOU CAN SEE)AND THE INTERIOR STRIPING. YOU LIKE THE "OVERKILL" ( MY OPINION) OF ALL THAT YELLOW IN THE PIC ABOVE?
AGAIN: EVERYBODY LIKES SOMETHING DIFFERENT.
Old     (tnyhwk)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-18-2003, 3:17 PM Reply   
JUSTIN HERE (THE OWNER OF THAT LIME GREEN X-STAR) AND I HAVENT GOTTEN THE "OWN ACCOUNT" THING, BUT IL TRY AND KEEP POSTING USING DONS
I WILL GET PICS OF THE WAKE THE VERY NEXT TIME I DROP IN. IM STILL WAITING ON MY CANISTERS FOR THE FOUR SPEAKERS ON THE TOWER.
HOPE DON DOESNT MIND ME USING HIS NAME. LOL .
ONLY GOT 11.1 HOURS ON THE BOAT THUS FAR.
ANY 1 WANNA CONTAC ME DIRECTLY. LOOK ME UP @ OFFAXISMAN ON AOL
ONE OTHER THING, ITS GOT THE CADDY (385) MOTOR IN IT!! HEHE
GOODTIMES TO ALL FELLOW RIDERS!!
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-18-2003, 6:01 PM Reply   
Hey Porter how about some pics of the 22vs (loaded) wake as well then
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-18-2003, 6:24 PM Reply   
What happened to Dave's review, seems to be taking an age.
Old    offaxisman            05-20-2003, 5:26 AM Reply   
hi. justin here and on my own user name!! i am the owner of the LIME GREEN X-STAR. ( FOR THOSE WHO MAY HAVE NOT READ RECENTLY.this is directed to WHIT. let me try and clarify the speed issue on the new x-star. yes the perfect pass says 27½ when i ride. my friends ride @ 27. i rode 23½-24 on my 2000 x-star. i judge my speed on my toe-side cuts whether or not my shin drags. at some point my shine does not drag(preferably). that is the speed that i ride. my point is that no mater what the numbers say on the speedos or the perfect pass, i will always get drag at a paticular speed. who knows what exactley that speed is. all boats vary a bit. that seems to be the speed in which the ride works best for me. keep in mind that there is no extra added weight at this point in my new x-star. and again. from what i read, some of you associate this "30k" figure with the wake. this boat was just under 20k more than my very well equipped 2000 x-star. this boat is 10 inches longer & wider. doesnt sound like much, but get in one and notice the difference in overall size. i have listed the options of this boat under the "boat pics" column. 1 which includes the 6.0 liter cadillac (385hp) 4 tower speakers ( not shown)binding blaster, transome stereo remote etc.... if you ask me, "not bad" considering. the issue of the "lowness" of the bow makes me laugh as well. i dont know about the rest of you riders, but i like to ride in the buttah. ( im not telling any 1 how to drive your boats)lmao, but maybe you should try after your rider falls, cut the throttle, drop the boat and turn slow enough for the wake/rollers to part from your path, then go back to your rider. not like we need to do whip turns, sending huge rollers down the lake and chance dipping the bow(which will happen in any boat) brian m. (hehe) (fellow rider o mine) lol
^5(HIGH FIVE) to kstate for sharing my view on methods of driving. anyhow. again, im am not trying to boast about my boat or belittle any other boat on the market. i just wanted to share my thoughts and opinions.
GOODTIMES TO ALL!!
Old    aka Bradley Beach            05-20-2003, 7:05 AM Reply   
Good call on not throwing rollers on power turns Justin! I wish everyone thought the way you do... Nice boat, I hope you enjoy it! I can't wait to see one in person.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-20-2003, 7:23 AM Reply   
"Goodtimes to all" is right!!

Congrats on the boat, looks dope!!
Old    wakeboardbum247            05-20-2003, 8:17 AM Reply   
i like the boat but i still dono bout the tower can u get the 02 x tower put on there then it would look badass