Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (ecoff12)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-07-2006, 5:17 PM Reply   
Is this true? If so, why not?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-07-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
I think the skaters are going to do their own tour
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-07-2006, 6:13 PM Reply   
Cool. Hopefully they do it behind a boat. Wakeskating from a spectator perspective on the tour wasn't good. I would much rather see them include wake tricks instead of just surface / ollie based tricks. It was boring.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-07-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
What he said ^^^^!
Old     (jsimpson7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2006, 6:36 PM Reply   
totally agree!! ^^^^!!
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-07-2006, 7:11 PM Reply   
Byerly's Toe Jam is basically going to be like the wakeskate tour i think. there are going to be multiple stops all over the country.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-07-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
If they did there comps like Byerly's toe jam that would be awesome!
Old     (westcoastripper)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-07-2006, 9:43 PM Reply   
ya its true the toe jam is going to be five stops like the tour and thats the wakeskate tour which is better because byerly is world known so it will be better for skating and it a skate specific event so better media coverage and there talking about bringing it to the west coast to
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-07-2006, 10:27 PM Reply   
If the toe jam turns in to its own tour thats killer. Wake skating is still in its infant stage now its broken away from the tour. Its way ahead of wake boarding was in its infant stages. I wish that the format for wake boarding comps would be more like skate comps. Just let the riders go out for like 10 min and throw down.

I can tell thats where Scott wants it to go. If the rider want to hit rails for 10 min then let them do it. Plus if they had boats we would see body varial hand flips. Or rocket airs.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-07-2006, 10:31 PM Reply   
thank god, i guess now wakeboarding will get even LESS air time since it is mostly wakeskating anyways now for some reason
Old     (kevin_garduno)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-08-2006, 12:15 AM Reply   
Wakeskating isn't that cool, it shouldn't have its own tour.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-08-2006, 5:08 AM Reply   
Whatever Kevin.......who are you to decide?....do you know how much flack wakeboarding got when it started? Probably not since your only 21....which means you were only around 10 years old in the mid 90's. I was young but I do remember the times when there wasn't anything but a skurfer.....never messed with the redline....I remember people dogging wakeboarding saying it wasn't a REAL sport. I was a wakeboarder but spend my time wakeskating mostly. Don't dog what you don't know about.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-08-2006, 5:42 AM Reply   
It's a good thing for the skaters & the wakeboarders, now we can have the girls back on the tour, they have been stepping up in the last couple of years.
Old     (the_bug)      Join Date: May 2004       11-08-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
Wrong again riverblader! Wakeskating is very cool.
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-08-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
Appeal to the masses is what makes a sport popular, danger is another. I don't know crap about free style motor cross or gymnastics but it's fun to watch. Wakeboarding to those who don't participate in the sport is fun to watch, a sort of gymnastics on the water. Wakeskating is as boring to watch as slalom skiing unless you participate in the sport, period! I polled a lot of people during pro tour events all over the country that didn't ride but came to watch, no one of them like wakeskating. There are a few pros that I can watch but less than a hand full.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-08-2006, 8:25 AM Reply   
Funny how things seem to come full circle.

Back in the day you had skiing competitions, and you had ski shows. They understood that there was a market for both, but one was not entertained by the other.

In wakeboarding we started off with the competition, but they have been trying to become more of an entertainment venue. they have done timed events so a rider can just throw down. most of us would rather see these guys free-ride than compete anyway.

PWT and BTJ are slowly turning into Cypress Gardens!!!!
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-08-2006, 9:16 AM Reply   
Free Riding is the only format I enjoy seeing. It is great on both a skate and a board.

Competitions really stuggle to find formats that capture this spirit, and suffer for it. Correct me if I am wrong but Xgames dropped wakeboarding didn't they. So much for the masses . . .
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-08-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
Wakeskating definately deserves its own tour. Its not like guys are doing just lipslides and shuv-its; riders are sticking 5's and 360 flips, and when you add the aspect of a boat to the sport everything just gets bigger and more exciting to watch.

pray for christ air
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       11-08-2006, 8:43 PM Reply   
The PWT has only gotten smaller over the years. There are fewer events and even less TV coverage. It seems like the sport would appeal to the same basic audience so they should keep them together to get as many people interested in it as possible.
Just catching some of the tv exposure this year has been really disappointing. Neither the wakeboarding or wakeskating looked very interesting.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       11-09-2006, 1:51 AM Reply   
I think it's best for wakeskating to get its own venue in order to really present it in the best light. however, it's hard for me because I like having wakeskating to watch...if the tour comes back to MN this year, it will just be a bit sad not having it there.

but on the other hand, I think there will be events that will always tie the two together, like the nationals and what have you. I do think the two will be tied together but at the same time, they are two totally separate things.