Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Waterskiing

Old                03-11-2005, 3:59 PM Reply   
My dad has been skiing his whole life. He's over fifty now and he's having a much harder time with his deep water starts, pulling back and leg muscles, and wearing him out after just a couple starts. Would abandoning the high performance slalom ski for one of those fatter skis help out a lot in that area, and do you think it would be too much of an ego killer to suggest something like that?
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-13-2005, 9:38 PM Reply   
You can still get pretty high performance wide skis. HO has a complete line. The Vengeance is a very good ski.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-14-2005, 4:06 AM Reply   
I use a KD Evolution. Doesn't look like a fat ski, doesn'e ski like one, it does deep water start like one. The 2005 name is Lithium.

INT has the Wide Ride competition for skiers on wide skis at 30 mph. Lots of fun. The winner was at 39 off.
Old                03-14-2005, 10:35 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys. That helps a lot. I'll take a look at those options.
Old     (mattbint)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-14-2005, 2:43 PM Reply   
Take a look at an HO Burner. Probably the most popular wide ski on the market.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-14-2005, 10:58 PM Reply   
I think the Burner and Vengeance are pretty much the same ski, just different lengths. I may be mistaken though. The wide ride competition is a great time. I've been into 38. That's about a pass and a half deeper than I have been on my regular slalom. Have to love 30 mph.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-16-2005, 10:14 AM Reply   
Nick is right - the Burner and Vengence are the same - just different lengths. I have a Burner - it's a great ski. I do get into the course occaisionally, it's realtively easy to get up on, decent performance but most importantly not a lot of drag. I tend to ski in several spots on a public lake - this ski allows me to ski literally for pass to pass in different sections. My total "run" is over 3 miles in length...
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-19-2005, 12:10 AM Reply   
The Connelly Pilot is a great ski...also the Connelly FX.
Old     (mattbint)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-21-2005, 10:39 AM Reply   
The vengence is different from the Burner.
Check out the HO site. The Burner is alot wider ski, especially at the tail.Best skiied at 30 mph. The Vengence is a High performance ski, up to 36 mph. A little wider then a high performance ski though. The 70 in model can be used in a wide ride comp. like the INT has.
Old                04-01-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
Geoff- you got a tower on your ride? It's much easier to get up with one...