Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old     (w4k3b04rd3r19)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-11-2004, 1:19 AM Reply   
I was looking for new boats for next season. I narrowed it down to 2 boats. The malibu wakesetter LSV or the Tig`e 22v riders edition. I like my malibu but its time to upgrade. Anyone got any sugestions or if you ridden behind both. Let me know please
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-11-2004, 7:23 AM Reply   
time to upgrade??? it say you have an 04 LSV. Oh well malibu has the ballast tanks under the floors now, which means that you get the entire back compartment to put your stuff in. you might want to look at the vlx, they pushed the cokpit area forwards a little and added .5 a foot to the boat, so the inside feels more like everyone elses 23ft boats, and ive heard the new vlx hull is awesome.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-11-2004, 8:00 AM Reply   
Last January I was looking at the 22V and a VLX. It was a tough decision so we did a final on the water demo. We spent about 1-1/2 hours in each boat, one after the other. Each was weighted like we would use them. There were a few small things about each boat that were better. Both dealers were great and have good reputations. To me it was a toss-up, with maybe an edge to the Tige since I had a great experience with my last one. My family really like the interior of the Tige over the Malibu. They thought the Tige looked more modern and the Malibu was more classic, but modern won ought. Keep in mind this is only our personal and very subjective opinions.

The Tige also felt like a deeper boat. It takes rough water better than anything else that I have been in. I was surprised that the wakes on both boats were very similar- maybe a little rampier on the Malibu. But they were about the same height. The Malibu had the rear bags, 1000# center bag, and the wedge. The Tige had the Rival ballast system with about 1500#. Both were clean wakes. And they both have a great wakesurfing wake.

Who knows, maybe next time it may be the Malibu- but this time the edge was to Tige (my family felt much stronger than me). If I were comparing with an LSV, I would look at the 24V. The size and costs are more comparible. Good luck- there isn't a bad choice.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-11-2004, 8:37 AM Reply   
I think it's time to get your head examined. Upgrading to a 2005 Malibu LSV isn't going to make a difference since you have a 2004 LSV. Stick with what you have.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-11-2004, 9:24 AM Reply   
You are wrong on the LSV. They made HUGE changes in the hull and interior.

For '05 -- Ride both boats and I guarantee Malibu will come out WAY ahead. if you are in Cali, I can arrange a demo of any of the malibu's for you. This is no disrepect to other manufactures, but the new Malibu line is just awesome.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-11-2004, 9:34 AM Reply   
I'm still confused I've seen this quite a bit lately. Do people not know that there is a boats and boat accessories forum for these type of questions specifically. I'm not hatin on anyone it just seems like you would get more responses in the boats and boat accessories forum than this one. I know most people on this board check all the forums but there is a reason why there is a separate forum for such topics. Oh yeah and the LSV compares to the Tige 24V. I've heard awesome things about both. If you don't need the size thought a VLX compares to a 22V.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-11-2004, 9:37 AM Reply   
though not thought I haven't had enough caffeine today.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-11-2004, 9:44 AM Reply   
you are "looking to upgrade"? You are 17, how are you buying sh*t? You mean Daddy wants to buy you a new boat?
Old    bambamski            11-11-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   
KStateAlumni?? who cares if "daddy" is buying him a boat. Jealous?

I've just recently done the whole boat research thing. I think Tige wins hands down over Malibu these days. I was super impressed with the new Tiges. The VLX is probably a better comparison though. It's all opinion though

Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-11-2004, 10:50 AM Reply   
Buffalow - Yes but the 2004 LSV is still one badass boat!
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-11-2004, 11:38 AM Reply   
No Pat I'm not jealous, as a matter of fact I own my boat... see profile, but it just makes me laugh when people get on here and say things like:

"I was looking for new boats for next season. I narrowed it down to 2 boats. The malibu wakesetter LSV or the Tig`e 22v riders edition. I like my malibu but its time to upgrade."

This kid is 17 years old and he is making the decision on what 40k boat to buy? Its just funny to me thats all... I would rather he said something like "my family has an 04 Malibu but we want to upgrade to an 05".

I'm only 25 but I bought a used boat 3 years ago and paid for the whole thing myself. So I believe I have the right to say something...
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-11-2004, 11:50 AM Reply   
I don't understand how people can afford a new boat every year. Let me rephrase, I can understand you affording it, but why would you want to? You've just broken the thing in and you're just gonna lose money flipping it that fast. I just upgraded to a new 04 myself about a month ago, but my previous boat was a 92 for crying out loud.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-11-2004, 12:27 PM Reply   
Go with the Malibu. RULE #1: Never go with a boat when hardly anybody can pronounce it's name correctly!
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-11-2004, 12:54 PM Reply   
Tom -
Old    bambamski            11-11-2004, 12:57 PM Reply   
KState
That's just not the most constructive statement is what I was getting at. Like you said, the kid is 17, I'm pretty sure everyone knows he's not paying for it himself. Congrats on being able to buy your own boat, if you look around you're probably in the minority around here.

Tommyc what's the rule? MailYBoe? is that right
Old     (w4k3b04rd3r19)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-11-2004, 1:02 PM Reply   
Its not that I'm excatlly upgrading its that I am moving away so I am looking at new boats to save the hassel with the old one
Old     (deltagrubber)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-11-2004, 1:28 PM Reply   
WHAT?????
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-12-2004, 7:46 AM Reply   
Ahhhhh Boat wars- feels like the old days. Many of us are fortunate to ride all of the boats out there. Price aside wakeboarding boats really do come down to just 3 boats. I have spent a lot of time on the X-2, Xstar, VLX,LSV, Tige riders editiuon, super, and Team. I can give you pros and cons on each. I think for $50K you will not find a better built wakeboard boat than the VLX.Demoing is the only way you'll know yourself. If you are in Nor Cal and want to demo a Mastercraft or Malibu - let me know and we'll get you hooked up.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-12-2004, 10:42 PM Reply   
MailYBoe.......Beeeatch!(sp)
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-12-2004, 11:53 PM Reply   
Bu all the way....and I doubt (since you are not 18 yet) you will be fronting the cash....tell dad that Bu is the way to go.
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-13-2004, 5:38 PM Reply   
Jason,
Would you be willing to help give some insight to making that a top 5 ?
Old     (p1emt)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-13-2004, 8:58 PM Reply   
VLX ALL THE
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-14-2004, 8:26 AM Reply   
my vote VLX
Old     (mibu)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-14-2004, 9:45 AM Reply   
2005 VLX ALL THE WAY
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-14-2004, 2:37 PM Reply   
TommyC

When someone in Canada says they have a Malibu we always have to ask "which Malibu?". There is a company here that builds a line of budget I/O runabouts and the brand is also called Malibu.

22V!
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-16-2004, 3:18 AM Reply   
I'd take the 22V
JK, good point on the cheesy those Malibu's. If anyone wants to take a look, I can't understand why, but here's the link http://www.malibuboats.ca
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-16-2004, 8:34 AM Reply   
Wow, wood construction!! Reminds me of the Tige's
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-16-2004, 2:17 PM Reply   
No wood in a Tige. You must be thinking of Sanger (and nobody seems more stoked about their boats than Sanger owners).
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-16-2004, 3:05 PM Reply   
JK(justridin) ~ There is definetly WOOD in a Tige and yes the sanger too but it is a cheaper in price as well.
Malibu's might be good boats but here in socal the service SUCKS so no Bu's for me thank you
Old     (lakeday)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-16-2004, 3:11 PM Reply   
the new tige's have no wood. i might be wrong with the date, but i believe 2003 was the last year that tige used wood.

i do have a tige and couldn't be happier...more boat for less money is what it came down to for me.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       11-16-2004, 3:17 PM Reply   
"the new tige's have no wood. i might be wrong with the date, but i believe 2003 was the last year that tige used wood."

That is true, 2003 was the last year.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-16-2004, 5:57 PM Reply   
so not to start anything but if they used only fiberglass composite in the last year then they really don't have too much experience building boats.?
From looking at Tige two three years ago they used to claim that their inclosed WOOd stringers gave them this extra support and toughness. nice boats I just don't think they can build a boat for cheaper with the same type materials malibu uses.IMPO
Old    bambamski            11-16-2004, 8:27 PM Reply   
No experience building boats? All they did is replace their stringers from wood to another material?

Has anyone ever wondered what's going to happen with the Malibu hollow stringers? Pretty sure if water gets inside them that probably won't be good.

Can't build a boat as cheap as Malibu? How much did Malibu pay for their building? How much did Tige pay? Tige went to a depressed community where they pretty much got their building for free. California is where Malibu is right? Cost of living is pretty cheap there right?

Big Ed, I ended up going with the X-2, just bought it, but the Tige was my second choice. Tige as continued to improve where Malibu seems content on resting on their reputation. Flame away...
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-16-2004, 8:39 PM Reply   
that is true about tige wanting to improve

malibu resting on their reputation? there is a reason they got their reputation.....nice boats!though I'm not a malibu lover by any means and it's because of SERVICE.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-16-2004, 8:41 PM Reply   
ohh 2nd choice Super air!! BY FAR
Old    hundo            11-16-2004, 8:48 PM Reply   
Were going out tomorrow in a SAN & 05 VLX , then its decesion time .
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-16-2004, 8:57 PM Reply   
Malibu is a little more pricy, but guarannteed a better quality boat. Tell me this, Ruck, Daniel Watkins, Tino Santori are all sponsered by tige. But in any movie can anyone tell me if they are ever behind one. No!!! Malibu, Natique and MasterCraft are the topr by far. Go up to a malibu and shake the winshield as hard as possible, do the same to the tige, and you might pull the winshield off.
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-16-2004, 9:01 PM Reply   
Pat B, I think you have your facts mixed up. Malibu has one of the best images in the sport. Sit in the interior of the tige. ow, your butt hits the wood under the upholstry. In the Bu, it is nothing but comfort. I have nothing against tige, but you cant compare it to a malibu.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-16-2004, 9:22 PM Reply   
I feel that service is a mostly due to the dealer representing you. I am blessed to have one of the top Bu dealers here in Dallas, they bend over backwards for thier clients.
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-16-2004, 11:10 PM Reply   
jarad can guarantee who builds a better boat, knows how boats are chosen for vids, what boats are the best (by far!!), how strong windshield frames are by brand and model year, what all seat bases are constructed of, and what the perfect foam density for boat cushions is. How about checking all your facts and then posting? We respect your opinions here but not your expert claims. I have owned Malibus and other brands and my Tige certainly does compare (wood or no wood).

Old    bambamski            11-17-2004, 8:04 AM Reply   
Jared, there's a trade off on how comfortable a seat will be vs how long it will last. I know lots of bu owners that had to replace their seats because the foam seats were too soft and would rip at the seams. I had to replace my seats in my X-10 last year (warranty) because of that exact reason. The new 05 MC's seats are quite hard now, are you going to tell me I'm hitting the wood on those as well? I'd rather have a thicker harder foam and not have to replace my seats every 3 years. Why doesn't Bu pull the pro wakeboard tour? It's all about sponsorship and who is willing to shell out the cash for it. Same goes for the vids I'm thinking. Or do you not think MC CC and Malibu sponsor those vids as well???

I said Malibu has a good reputation didn't I? What I did say is that unless they continue to improve their boats construction on pace with the rest of the industry they're going to suffer like MC did in the mid 90's. MC found out the hard way that you can't just rely on your reputation to sell boats. They lost a lot of market share back then.

Big Ed I agree SANS are nice, and super well built. Don't like the interior and the trough they create before the wake. If I miss landing wake to wake and land in the trough it's way to hard on the body. I'm getting to old...
Old     (mibu)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-17-2004, 8:55 AM Reply   
I just sold my 02 Malibu and bought a new 05 VLX. Even in those 3 years Malibu has changed their interior construction. As well as some other changes. I love my new BU! just like I did the old one
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-23-2004, 8:50 PM Reply   
hey pat, i guess your right, i have not been in an 05 tige', only an 05 vlx, so i have no right to judge the boat. i didn't me to come across the wrong way, but from previous expoeriance, i prefer the bu.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-24-2004, 1:04 PM Reply   
I'll tell you one thing,bad service can make you hate any boat.
Big ups to CALIFORNIA SKIER in socal at lake Elsinore.I don't think anybody has better service then those guys at Mastercraft.(BRENT)and the mechanic Jeremy.
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-24-2004, 9:54 PM Reply   
}My Vote: 05 MALIBU VLX THE ONLY WAY TO GO #1
Old    bambamski            11-25-2004, 7:46 AM Reply   
How much did the 05 VLX change vs the old one? I didn't think that much but I was talking with a buddy of mine in Houston yesterday who has an 03 VLX. He was thinking about trading it in for the 05 and rode behind it last week. He said he really liked the interior of the boat but the wake wasn't near as nice as the old VLX's.

He compared it to what MC did in 2003 with the X-star vs X-2. Most people still prefer the X-2 wake over the X-star. He thought the same thing is going to happen with the new VLX vs the V-ride.

Did the hull change that much?
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-25-2004, 3:21 PM Reply   
Yes the hull did change that much. The boat is very similar to the 23LSV hull only a foot and a half shorter and I believe 2 or 3in narrower. Also has the same gelcoat patterns as the LSV and for 05 all the ballast tanks are under the floor and the option of a hardtank in the bow for four total ballast tanks.
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-25-2004, 9:42 PM Reply   
i rode behind a 05 VLX with plenty of weight, but any boat needs a ton of wieght for the wake to be rideable, and it was just as sick as the old ones for sure
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-26-2004, 7:47 PM Reply   
I dont know, I would rather have the old VLX for the smaller hull. The smaller the boat, the less weight needed for a wake. Although bigger boats for wider wakes seems to be the trend.