Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-17-2013, 3:36 PM Reply   
This winter I began a project to design and replace the very slow fill times in the pre-09 22ssv.

Stock System
The old style ballast system ran off a single rule 1100gph pump into a manifold with sprinkler valves that open and close the system for each of the 3 stock ballast bags. The system is adequate but extremely slow when filling 3 bags at once. There is a separate aerator pump to drain each bag. Also my boat had no vented bags.

Option 1
When starting the project I thought I wanted to go with 2 new aerator pumps off of new through hulls to fill each bag. This type of conversion has been done before and was documented on the Supra Forums with good results and I discussed it with Spencer at Wakemakers. Worked with Spencer to purchase the parts I needed for the conversion. Once the parts came in I took them to my local service guy “Dallas Ski Boats” and went over the plans that Spencer and I talked about to have them installed. Once we got into it a little bit we realized that it was going to be an extremely tight fit to add 2 through hulls and still have room for the pumps under the water line. It has been done before but we decided not to risk it.

Option 2
After the discussion with Brandon at DSB I went back to Spencer and he came up with the following. We would add 2 Johnson pumps instead since they can be mounted above the water line. So this is the route I went. So 2 new Johnson pumps on new through hulls that would fill and drain the rear bags. The front bag would use the existing rule aerator pump attached to the scrupper through hull. The front bag would operate a little more efficiently since it was only feeding the single 650 front bag. We also added vents lines to the rear bags utilizing the old empty lines. The front bag also added a new vent that T’s into the existing empty line. One big thing also added was the check valves. This one addition was super cool because now the bags would drain flat without having to get in the compartments and lifting the bags to finish draining them.

Time
Old fill time of about 50 minutes of driving with the pumps on. The scupper likes the added pressure of driving while filling.
New fill time 12 minutes total. 8 minutes for the rear bags and 12 for the front. Some of the slowness on the front bag is from priming the system.

Setup
750 in each rear compartment and the 650 in the ski locker. I have a 1000 bow triangle that I fill with a separate pump by hand. The 750’s fill to about 700 but allows me to add lead or sand in front of the bags under the rear seats. I will post some pics of the wake when I get some good water next week.
Thanks again to Spencer at Wakemakers and Brandon at Dallas Ski Boats
Attached Images

Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-17-2013, 5:55 PM Reply   
Looks good. I've thought about doing the same style of install in my. Keep us posted on how everything works out.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-17-2013, 5:55 PM Reply   
Nice upgrade, I had an 08 22SSV and by far that had to of been the worst ballast system design I had ever seen, nothing but problems from day one. The Johnson pumps will treat you so much better.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-18-2013, 8:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fman View Post
Nice upgrade, I had an 08 22SSV and by far that had to of been the worst ballast system design I had ever seen, nothing but problems from day one. The Johnson pumps will treat you so much better.
fman

It was your post that made me want to start this project. Only issue was the Supra forums have been hacked so many times all the pictures are gone.

Did notice once I posted this that we mounted the pumps upside down. Going to fix that and get out again next week.
Old     (sprocketeer)      Join Date: Nov 2012       04-18-2013, 8:37 AM Reply   
I need to do this exact upgrade to my 07 but I had no idea where I was going to put the pumps.
Now I know.
Thanks!
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-18-2013, 8:44 AM Reply   
Michael I really like this location I think if memory serves me correctly this is the stock location for Supra once they switched to the Jabsco's in 09.
Old     (jasonwm)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-18-2013, 4:17 PM Reply   
Thanks for posting the results of your upgrade and sharing them with the community.

Glad you're going to turn the pumps over, that will increase their lifespan significantly.
Old     (tdickman4)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-19-2013, 5:22 AM Reply   
How much did it cost you?
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-19-2013, 6:49 AM Reply   
Ted the parts alone where about $500 most of that being the pumps. Also factor into that I reused a lot of existing hoses etc..
Parts list
2 johnson pumps
2 thru-hulls
2 ball valves
1/2" Thread x 3/4" Hose Barb Fitting
3/4" Thread x 3/4" Hose Barb Fitting
4 check valves one left unused.
2 Pre-Wired Switch Connector for Reversible Ballast Pumps. Get the pumps wired into the switches for the Johnson pumps. Jabsco pumps have this included.

Left my price a little vague because of my multiple purchases and other projects that where purchased at the same time that came in the same shipments. I paid less than a grand for everything plus the install. To me that was a fair price to get my time back on the lake. I get out at 5:45 am weekly in the summer for good water and I was losing an hour filling bags before we could start our sets.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-01-2013, 6:16 AM Reply   
Made it back out to the lake after getting the pumps flipped over. Everything works exactly as it should. Takes about 15 minutes total to fill the ballast in all the tanks and the bow triangle by hand.

The video below shows what I am working with.
750's in the rear full so I guess thats around 700 in the lockers.
150 in front of those bags under neath the rear seat in sand.
650 in the ski locker
600 in the bow.

The bow triangle has a lot left to fill but it changes the shape and allows the prop wash to roll over the wake. I think I can continue to dial this in some with more in the bow and adjust the plate to control the prop wash but have not had time to play with it.

from nommel on Vimeo.

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-01-2013, 6:23 AM Reply   
Looks good
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-01-2013, 6:24 AM Reply   
What speed and length
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-01-2013, 6:31 AM Reply   
That is 23 at 65ft you can easily ride at 23.5 and 70ft.