Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       02-17-2012, 6:33 AM Reply   
I was looking to get one for my '08 GMC Sierra. The retractable ones seem nice, but losing bed space could really suck the times you need it...

Thought the Truck Covers USA one with the toolbox would help keep the cab clear of tools and other stuff i keep in the truck all the time. Also looking at the roll n' lock M series, and BAK rollbak, which are considerably cheaper. Anyone have any experience with these or any other covers you really like?

They also claim better gas mileage, which isn't a huge concern, but always a nice bonus. Any truth to that?
Old     (RanchDweller)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-17-2012, 7:29 AM Reply   
I put the RollBak on my GMC. I like it a lot. I looked at all of the rolling covers and deceided on the Rollbak based on how it locks. I did not want to carry around another key to open it. The rollbak does not have a separate lock. You close the rollbak then close your tail gate. Once you lock the tail gate the bed is secure. I specifically got the rolling cover made from aluminum for security. We ski all winter and leave our gear in the bed of the truck. Also, when we are at a lake for the day we leave some gear in the bed of the truck instead of bringing every board or whatever. For me it was about securing my gear. The Rollback rolls into a canister about 12" square at the front of your truck and it sits up about 18 inches so you can still put stuff below it. I have not noticed any better gas mileage.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       02-17-2012, 8:11 AM Reply   
I have one that I found at a place that does lifts for my trucks. I will pull the brand name off for you. It sits flush with the top of your bed, locks into a track and allows you to fold all the way back and up against your window so that you do not lose bed space. I had tried all of the other types but after finding and buying the one I have I would not ever get a different set up. I know about 10 people that have bought one after seeing it on my truck and love it. I will post brand later today for you.
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-17-2012, 8:29 AM Reply   
I think you're referring to a Bakflip. Several of my friends have them and love the utility and security. My fiberglass, painted Gaylords tonneau looks great but sucks when I need to put something big in the bed.

I'll have a Bakflip on the next truck.
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-17-2012, 8:53 AM Reply   
I have a lorado roll up cover. I guess if someone wanted to steal what's in the bed, they could cut it open, but I haven't had any trouble. It locks in place and can't be opened with the tailgate closed. It also rolls all the way up to give you full use of the bed.
http://www.agricover.com/access/lorado/#
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-17-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
I have a roll n lock for my truck and I am glad I went that route over the full fiberglass tonneau. Yes the roll up style takes about 10"-12" up but I don't really notice it that much and I really don't put that much stuff that I need 100% of the bed open. It may give you better gas millage in theory but you are also adding weight to the back of the truck so you probably just lost whatever savings there would be. I would highly recommend a roll or flip style over the true hard cover. The hard covers do look nicer but as far as functionality the other two styles are better. I found mine on Craigslist.
Old     (ddutcher)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-17-2012, 9:56 AM Reply   
I put a BakFlip HD on my new Dodge and am very happy with the versatility and not loosing bed space. I had a truck covers USA rolling typ on my Ford and I liked it but the undercoating came off after a year which caused it not to be water tight. I like the Bak Flip much better and it is cheaper than the rolling covers.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       02-17-2012, 11:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourspeednup View Post
I think you're referring to a Bakflip. Several of my friends have them and love the utility and security. My fiberglass, painted Gaylords tonneau looks great but sucks when I need to put something big in the bed.

I'll have a Bakflip on the next truck.
Yep that is the one I have had on my last two trucks. Best cover I have ever had.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-17-2012, 12:18 PM Reply   
I had a fold-a-cover on my last truck, worked great!

Mythbusters blew the myth that these covers save any gas. I liked it for security and keeping thins dry as well.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-17-2012, 8:36 PM Reply   
I posted on gcwa-check there.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-17-2012, 8:44 PM Reply   
Just installed a roll-n-lock on my new truck. Was pretty easy to install and works well initially. I also looked primarily at the TC USA but did not want to drill a large hole in the rear of my truck so I went with the roll n lock. I have 2 gripes: 1) I also bought the cargo manager and with the built in bed extender it limits the use quite a bit of the cargo manager (it won't go back close to the tailgate at all). 2) You have to at least unlock / partially open the cover to open the tailgate due to the security feature (it locks to the tailgate), so you can't just drop the tailgate.

Agree you won't save gas. I bought mine to keep things dry and locked up.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-18-2012, 1:41 PM Reply   
I have the fold-a-cover too. It works great, but is NOT waterproof. It is tough, so you can even sit on it if needed. quick latches, and only 4 - so removing the whole thing is quick and easy if you find yourself at a furniture store and need to take it off and slide it next to a new couch (voice of experience ;-)

I also installed the pop-n-lock tailgate lock. wired to my electric door locks, so gate locks with doors. This way, everything in the bed is also locked up. Nothing is 100% break-in proof. But it helps...
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-19-2012, 8:48 AM Reply   
I have an Undercover 'Smooth' on my 2010 Tundra and love it. I choose it for a few reasons.

1. It's light weight (under 70lbs.)
2. It's strong. It can hold around 300lbs.
3. You can paint it (unlike the original models)
4. 100% watertight. I drove it on the freeway for an hour in serious downpour and the bed was completely dry. I can wash the truck and no water gets in.
5. It goes off/on in minutes (seriously takes no more then 2-3 minutes)
6. Much less expensive then traditional fiberglass toppers. (paid right around $600 including shipping)

The downside is the added area I have to clean, especially a PITA when it comes time to wax/buff the truck
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-19-2012, 9:04 AM Reply   
+1 for the Bakflip HD...It looks good, waterproof and allows full access to the bed when needed. I put a electronic lock on my tailgate so the bed locks with the doors.
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       02-21-2012, 10:26 AM Reply   
Cool thanks for all the info guys