Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mryan318)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-28-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
I had the opportunity to hang out with Adam Mccall, Randall Harris, Daniel Walden and Matt Biship at the Axis Demo Day here in Minnesota at MNInboard. And It was alot of fun. My girlfriend and I spend over an hour talking to Adam and Randall (just the four of us) in the Boat (A-22) on the water. They explaining why they did things a certian way and answer all of our questions we had about the boat, design and wake. The boat I have is a nautique 210 and I have really envoy riding and hiting the wake behind my boat (with about 2k in it). My girlfriend and I rode behind the A-22 and we absolutely loved the wake. She rode with just the center tank full and I think I rode with full hard tanks, the plug and play and the wedge. The wake was big, lots of pop, and a place to land(The wake is more rampy). I also got the drive the boat with around 4k of ballast after Randall got done riding(which that guy goes so big) and the boat seemed to handle way better than my 210 with no ballast. I also drove the a-22 after when there was no ballast in it and it handle close to the same with 4k in it. Amazing!! Many of you that have rode behind a 210 now there is no much of a landing zone but there is a alot of pop over the wake. I'm seriously considering purchasing one of these boats at some point in time. I'm just looking for others opinions on the A-22, A-20(that is coming out) who have riden and drove the axis and comparable boat to mine. Thanks
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-28-2010, 3:19 PM Reply   
We bought an A22 earlier this year. We have put a little over 100 hours on the boat and have nothing but good things to say about it. I would say it shines in three areas. The space, it has more space then any other 22ft boat out there. The wake is very scalable - it cleans up with little weight around 17 mph and within 10 minutes you can have a monster wake that is not a pain to clean up. The third area, is the handling, it really drives like a smaller direct drive. Your review of the wake is spot on... nice lip at the top (with the wedge) with a longer transition.
Old     (jjaszkow)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-28-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
Matt, I'm really bummed I missed that event. Unfortunately I was flying to Chicago when Adam, Matt and the crew were driving from Chicago to Minneapolis. I bought a 2010 from MN Inboard earlier this year, and I have been incredibly happy with all aspects of ownership of our A-22, from the performance, wake, fit and finish to the awesome support not only from MN Inboard, but also from Matt Bishop at Axis. I doubt that you would be dissapointed with that boat.

Last edited by jjaszkow; 07-28-2010 at 3:51 PM.
Old     (mryan318)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-28-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
Ed and Joe. did you have a boat before your Axis? if so what was it and how does it compare to the Axis A-22
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-28-2010, 6:44 PM Reply   
We love our Axis for sure. We have about 100 hours on it and we purchased it in Feb. I worked with Matt and Adam (McCall and Perez)and they were great people to deal with and I only have positive things to say about them and the company. They know what they are doing and dial it in to make the perfect wake. I have been very impressed with how well the boat handles in chop, weighted and unweighted. Everybody always comments about how big the boat is inside and how roomy it is. Its not divided up and sectioned, its just open floor layout with simple and easy to access panels. It throws a great surf wake factory without people and only gets huger with people. My Gf just rides with Wedge down @ 21mph and i counter my weight a little on the LR and its perfect. I ride fully ballasted with wedge at 23.8 and get tons of pop. There is no walking at higher speed and wherever you point the boat, it goes. We have enjoyed ours tremendously and the Axis owner community is a great group of owners too. Bishop and McCall nailed it on the head and have done a great job and they have great customer support. Perez has been a great resource as well. Props to all of them. They have got 2 great pro riders and I only see Axis going bigger and better esp with the A-20 coming in the lineup and growing in their fanbase and supporters by doing exactly what they did, a road trip to spread the stoke and get the keeping the grassroots campaign moving forward.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-28-2010, 7:20 PM Reply   
my buddy demoed in OKC with them and he is buying one
Old     (jjaszkow)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-28-2010, 8:39 PM Reply   
Matt, we came from a 2006 Bayliner 175, so there is really no comparison. Our's is pretty well optioned out, and I have not once said "I wish my boat had what X boat has". The other boats we looked at when we were trying to decide on which one to choose were MC X1 (too small), Malibu VTX (too small), Nautique 210 (too small), Malibu VLX, and Nautique 230. When we first saw the A22 in person in January, we added that to the list of boats we were considering, and after a test drive, it won out since it's performance left nothing to be desired, build quality met our expectations (without the bling of some of our other choices of course), and the price could not be beat compared to our other choices.

I've thought of a number of very minor things that Axis could have done differently or improved upon, and when I emailed Matt Bishop about this, he replied with a list of changes already in the 2011 design that addressed almost every one of the items on the list that I sent him. Definately a rider focused boat and company.

We had my brother (who only skis) out a few weekends back, and discovered it's got a pretty good ski wake and ski speeds too.

Greg covered most of the rest of what I was going to say, so I think that that about covers it.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-28-2010, 9:52 PM Reply   
We had an 05 centurion for four years. It was a good all around v-drive but the Axis is supperior when it comes to space and wake board wake. I can't comment on the surf wave because I rarely surf. I also drive and ride behind an 07 xlv, 05 lsv , 04 vlx and an older pro star. I haven't driven or ridden behind any other 2010 boats.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-29-2010, 6:29 AM Reply   
Matt,
It looked like you two were having fun out there! I was one of the guys who got in the black A22 after you two. Fun day (minus the crappy water)!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-29-2010, 7:55 AM Reply   
Greg, Ed, and Joe really nailed everything that is great about the Axis. We upgraded from a 2000 Supra Launch Direct Drive. The Axis handles about 10x better than the supra weighted and unweighted.
Old     (jonnymatrix5)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-29-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
How do the newer Axis boats handle in the chop?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-29-2010, 8:28 AM Reply   
Ours is awesome in the chop. The lake we frequent is 6.5 miles long and maybe a mile wide at the widest point so it gets pretty damn choppy after 10am. The Axis handles it great! Definitely a hell of a lot better than our supra did.
Old     (mryan318)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-29-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
Jay,
Ya man it was alot of funhanging with just Randall and Adam.(Such good guys) I see on your profit you have a 2000 xstar. How did you think the a22 compared to your boat wake and driving the boat?
Old     (mryan318)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-29-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
Ps
I see you live in long lake. I grew up in that area, we should ride together sometime.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-29-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymatrix5 View Post
How do the newer Axis boats handle in the chop?
I have taken our Axis to havasu a few times. I have driven from havasu springs to the bridge on a busy sat and the boat handled well. No water over the bow and a fairly pleasant drive.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-29-2010, 10:04 AM Reply   
Matt- You should order an MB TWB.... I'd really like to drive one before my next boat!!

Jay- I think I met you out on Fish lake on March 31st?? I was with Chad Beery. I just picked up my VTX and was trying to get some break-in hours on it.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-29-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
Charlie - Yes, that was I out on Fish on 3/31. That's a sweet boat you got!

Matt - With the wedge down, and all the ballast (stock and plug and play...about 4000k lbs) filled on the A22, it is very similar, in both size and shape, to the older XStar with about 4000k of ballast in it. With just the ballast and no wedge the wake is pretty different, for the worse, in my opinion. The wedge definitely helps shape the wake to be like the older XStars. Unfortunately, I didn't take a turn at the wheel on the A22, so don't know how it handles, but I can tell you that my boat drives really good when heavily weighted....just gotta be careful when coming to a stop, otherwise you can take on some water over the nose.

Yes, I do live in Long Lake. Shoot me an email at jlfogelson@hotmail.com, and we can hopefully get out there some time!
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-29-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
Definitely agree the wedge is a must have on the axis, without it there is no lip at that top of the wake. I am pretty sure stock pnp plus wedge is closer to 3k unless you have 750's in the lockers.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-29-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
even with 750s it would only be 3350lbs. It is 2650lbs if you order the kit from wakemakers.com
Old     (mryan318)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-29-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
Charlie,
Are you not happy with your vtx? When I or if I purchase a new boat there will have to be a dealer in minnesota because I don't want to have to ship my boat somewhere to get it fixed.