Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (pt0872)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-04-2007, 4:35 AM Reply   
Hey all....
First post here. I'm 34yo and my parents own a house on a lake. We own jetski's and an 18' bayliner with a 120hp outboard.

I went out last weekend and bought a liquid force 134....super nice board.

I see people out on the lake wakeboarding all the time and looks like a lot of fun and I want to try it.

Spent about an hour trying to get up on this thing....couldnt do it, only plowed thru the water.

Probably going to try it from the shore/dock this weekend....get me a little more stable.

One of my friends mentioned that he doesnt think my boat will pull a wakeboard out of the water.....whatta you all think?
Old     (cfd313)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-04-2007, 4:48 AM Reply   
get the dvd detention...it has everything you need to know but keep your elbows between your knees like your sitting in a chair. when the boat starts stay back and it should pop you right up....imo
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-04-2007, 5:47 AM Reply   
.....instead of plowing straight behind the boat...think about moving off to the side of the boat...that has worked for some of our beginners.Your boat is big enough to learn on check my profile ......my boat is smaller than yours!
Old     (forenku)      Join Date: May 2007       07-04-2007, 5:57 AM Reply   
Your boat is big enough to pull you out of the water. Last summer I had a 60 hp pontoon boat full of people pulling me out of the water. Just keep trying you will get up.
Old     (pt0872)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-04-2007, 6:04 AM Reply   
Been watching A LOT of video from youtube and seeing how others do it.

We're going out and try it again today....at least the waters warm....seeing as how I spend most of my day in it and drinking it :-)
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-04-2007, 6:13 AM Reply   
There have been tons of 'How do I get up' posts recently. I did a quick search using Wakeworld's 'Search' feature (top right of the page) and found this one. Take a look, and if it doesn't do the trick for you, search for another. Good luck, my advise is to simply not 'fight' the boat. Let it smoothly pull you out of the water.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/67168.html
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-04-2007, 6:18 AM Reply   
Have the boat driver start off very slow and ease you up. The mistake most boat drivers have is tring to start of as if you are on skis, this will not work. Try to get your butt touching the board before the boat pulls, and stay that way until the board gets on top of the water. Do not try and pull your way up (you will just fall) must let the boat and the board do the work.

And yes your runabout or your jet ski will work fine to learn behind, then you will want a wake.

Just remember ease the rider up, once he/she is up then you go ahead and push the boat up to about 15 - 20 mph (beginner) and stay there.
Most riders like to be pulled at 22-26 MPH but that is a little fast for a beginner.

Sorry for the long post but we teach alot of kids how to ride every weekend.
Old     (pt0872)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-04-2007, 7:21 PM Reply   
Ok....took everyones advice and went out again today.

First two attempts did nothing but the third I think I was up....right until the damn rope snapped. :-)
It was an old tow rope though, we tried to buy another one earlier in the day but they were sold out. Going to Dicks sporting goods tomorrow to get another one.

But thanks again everyone for the step by step on how to get out of the water.
Old     (wakeboardmatt)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-04-2007, 7:26 PM Reply   
Yeah it should have pleanty. Almost any boat can get a wakeboarder up, even a patio boat.

just my $0.02
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-04-2007, 10:30 PM Reply   
don't go to dicks to get a rope. Go to a local boardshop, and get a lower-cost no-stretch or limited stretch rope.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-05-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
If the rope snapped your leaning back too far. Elbows out side of your knees and stay in that position until your board is on too of the water, then simply stand up and turn the board. Let the boat pull you up, but don't lean back and make the boat work to do so.