Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-26-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
You think it could ever happen? For us in the northern hemisphere....I was thinking an indoor cable park would be awesome during the winter months. You could even have an indoor MX track next door. I have some sketches I threw together. I think it would work. Make it a big variety type place to draw lots of people to have a good cash flow. Think of the tournaments you could have all year.
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-26-2007, 8:45 AM Reply   
I know this idea has been kicked around before.

Pretty expensive for something most consider a niche sport.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-26-2007, 9:14 AM Reply   
I peed in your pool! I peed in your pool!!

Oh physically it would work & I'm sure your sketches are works of art, but thats not the hangup. The trouble will come when its time to finance the project. Not many folks are stoked to invest in a niche market that charges so little. High costs to build, maintain, and operate combined with a low cost of admission = business disaster. Unfortunately people make things so they can make $.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-26-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
you'd have to make it an indoor water park or something with a bunch of stuff for kids too. Those water parks up in the Wisconsin Dells make a killing.
Old     (wakeboardqueen)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-26-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
That would be amazing ! Build it in Georgia !
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-26-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
Onlyinboards....that is part of my idea as well....if you have the H2O...use it to your fullest capacity. Work out a deal with a resort hotel type scenario. People would come a distance for this, so they need a place to stay over. Have a man made lake outside for Summer boat tows. And when it freezes over in the winter....Let people ice skate on it with tunes playing. There is currently nothing like it. And for people who bum rides on boats...this would give them a place to go when they can not work out a tow. Food bars...waterslides...BIG wave pool for surfers. You can not go wrong. I guess what I am saying....if you group a lot of activites...some a niche type activity...I think it would make a killing. Do like winter ski resorts...daily passes for the cable. Keep the comments coming. I know a few people who are interested that have capital to invest. Just don't want to present...until every option is explored and thought provoked.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-26-2007, 10:57 AM Reply   
Some of the original dome sports stadiums are being phased out. Could probably pick them up "relatively cheap". The Astrodome or Texas Stadium come to mind. Just gut the seating out and make a waterpark with slides as high as the roof. In the center put a cable lake with a lazy river going around it. Turn all the suites into rooms. Have it open year round. Its always summer inside.
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-26-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
this would be the most amazing thing ever if it could happen.......maybe even if you could build a driving range type dome or something and build a huge concrete pool it seems golf domes arent that expensive to build compared to say a traditional structure you would have to take after skateparks and things like that for business models.....it just seems like the big resort deal while its a good idea has more of a come one come all vibe just doesnt seem good to me...for example the boyne mountain water park with the wave simulator wasnt much fun because of the line of 10 year olds in front of me and the fact that i had to wait 20 minutes between turns didnt make it enjoyable for me......
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-26-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
How bout getting a few investors together to dome the entire US. Then it would take care of the immigration problem also. Kill 2 birds with one stone/dome. (a joke)
Great idea but it will never happen too costly. I don't think you would ever convince some "suits" to invest their $$ in a facility like this. Again wish it would happen.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-26-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
Jim..like your idea about doming the U.S. that's good! I am thinking the largest stadium in the U.S. that is not being used right now for much at all. Former home to the Detroit Lions.....The Pontiac Silverdome in Michigan. Look it up on the web and tell me that will not work. I think they should have a rail jam in there a.s.a.p
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-26-2007, 1:51 PM Reply   
I've thought about an indoor winch park/skate park. You could rent boards and sell them. Even thought of elevated plexi-glass pools so people could get a different look at the rider in the water. I think the real pain would be the cost of insurance. You could open a place like that in a supermarket sized building. Plenty of them around for lease but probably high cost.

It would have to be a skate park combo though just because the numbers of people who skateboard vs. wakeboard/skate.

It'd be a good way to expose people to the sport. You could sell winches as well.

Unless I win the lottery though I doubt I'll ever have the money to invest.
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-26-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
Oh yeah, if any of you take my idea and make some dough off of it, I ain't mad at'cha. Just remember me and throw some boards or a winch my way.
Old     (oopsds92)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-26-2007, 5:03 PM Reply   
dude keep your mind to it! and maybe a couple (bunch) or people could try and set this up in the future. dude if u (we) want it to happen, we can make it happen!
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-27-2007, 4:11 AM Reply   
thats the spirit Dane....WE CAN MAKE IT HAPPEN. Especially if you get the right people involved! Kenneth....you will be rewarded if things happen. I like the idea of plexi...that is sweet. We could call this place with Aquarium in the name. People would actually think they were going to an aquarium instead they end up at our indoor cable park. I wonder if any board companies would invest. Promotes their product year around. I know a pro shop that is interested. But I can not give out any names right now.
Old    innov8actionsports.com            02-27-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
Haha, ya its a great idea and if it was possible it would have already been done. If anybody will do it , it would be a cable park that is already built trying to make it a year long money maker, someone like TSR. Hint, Hint.
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-27-2007, 10:33 AM Reply   
here in the UK their are over 5 indoor snowdomes. I think neerly all of them have a skatepark, rock climbing walls, ice climbing walls and other activities. Every time i have been to the one near me it has been absoultly packed. half these people i bet cant even ski/snowboard.

my point is if this happend with a cable instead of ski slope. It would not just be a good winter alternative or srummer for that matter but a good thing for our sport.

cheers
toby
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-27-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
Andrew, was waiting 20 min., watching people bite the dust on the surfing machine and the girls losing their tops really that bad? i wouldn't wait any more than 20min., but the snowboarding at boyne mountain was great for me.
ok, how is ron jon's surf park going in orlando?
i think if the surf thing works out down in orlando, one of those pools could be brought up north and be very successful, and then it shouldn't cost that much to set up a wench system in one of those pools
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-03-2007, 7:56 PM Reply   
Amen erin!
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-03-2007, 8:15 PM Reply   
someone posted a video of some Russians having a tournament indoors a while back. they used a winch in a huge Olympic sized pool. It looked like a really cool idea, but some of the guys that rode it were saying that they didn't have very good water condition. Go figure!