Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old     (clintrn)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-15-2004, 2:11 AM Reply   
I was down at shasta last weekend. When I left on Sunday, someone had pulled off my guide pads off the back of my trailer!! Pissed me off. Putting on a boat on the trailer without those pads sucks. Has anyone else had there pads stolen? Is it normal to lock your pads in the car for safe keeping?
Old    r_dub            07-15-2004, 5:05 AM Reply   
That sucks man! Sometimes I really hate people. They got bad Karma coming their way.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-15-2004, 7:00 AM Reply   
I would start locking them up in your car. I don't think they cost a lot of money to replace but that has to be frustrating. Jealous people will steal anything...at least you have your trailer and trailer hitch ball.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-15-2004, 1:44 PM Reply   
Hell I had my reverse white light (only one) stolen from my trailer. Although it doesn't make me illegal to tow it's just one more thing to buy at the marine store.....

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-15-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
We've always removed our pads and locked them in the truck.
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-15-2004, 2:23 PM Reply   
ya us to... job of the truck driver to lock em up, it also doesnt let them to forget to lock the truck.
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-15-2004, 2:59 PM Reply   
That sucks big time I would have never thought that someone would be that boneheaded to take the pads.. Thanks for the info.. Sorry for the theft..Bastages........
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-15-2004, 11:05 PM Reply   
Shoot, I should have locked up my trailers license plate at Shasta Lake then too, as someone stole it leaving the bolts on the ground.

Most manufacturer labeled pads are over $40 Thieves SUCK!
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-16-2004, 7:07 AM Reply   
uh.... I never had trailer pads. Should I get them. Seriously. I had my boat for two years and I don't think I have had any marks on my boat from the guide poles. Now marks from hitting the dock.... that is a different story
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2004, 8:22 AM Reply   
A.P. I think it is probably more of an aesthetic thing than actual protection, though I am sure it increases that as well.

I have never thought about taking the trailer pads off after launching. I also had a guy ask about my spare once, if I lock that up....which I don't. I am sure the spare with aluminum wheel would be a nice take for a thief. It is unfortunate that we even have to discuss things of this nature.

E.J.
Old     (larry6)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-16-2004, 8:42 AM Reply   
A.P.
A freind of mine was loading in a high current area and the plastic tubing snapped off. Long story short if he didnt have the padding there the steel pipe would have given him a great big kiss, instead of a little rub.
That is why I have them....
Old     (cowdoc13)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-18-2004, 12:08 PM Reply   
We lock ours up too. One never knows when they have inadvertently pissed someone off and that person decides to get even by stealing the guide posts from the trailer. Would make it a challenge to load the boat without damaging the hull.

I looked under the covering of one of our guide posts one time and it looked like a piece of schedule 40 PVC pipe covered with the styrofoam pipe insultation. You may be able to replace yours cheaply with a trip to Lowes/Home Depot. A piece of schedule 40 PVC pipe, two pipe end caps and some of the styrofoam looking pipe insultaion would be all you would need. Put a little duct tape at the top, bottom, and in the middle to keep the pipe insultation in place and you should be good to go. Some may not like the look, but it should be functional.
Old    rboothe            07-18-2004, 4:27 PM Reply   
You'll spend more in buying pipe insulation over time. It won't hold up under UV rays. I tried some on my bike rack for surf boards. They didn't last a month. Worse yet, they started leaving sticky chunks on my boards.
Old    norcal_99            07-18-2004, 4:47 PM Reply   
I always see other people, and a few of my friends take off their pads, but I never do.

Maybe I should start.
Old     (hoser325)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-18-2004, 4:48 PM Reply   
Bummer. Some jack*** stole a tail light out of my trailer one evening while we were out riding. It only cost $6 to replace, but still...come on. How cheap could someone possibly be.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-19-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
haha, remember back in the day when the trailers didn't even have the guides, and you just had to drive it up extra carefully and hold onto guiding ropes and all that good stuff? (for those of us that had crappy boats before upgrading..)
Old     (wakeboarddad01)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-19-2004, 4:50 PM Reply   
We always remove the pads and lock them up in the Denali. We also have the spare tire locked to the trailer to avoid someone stealing it and we also lock one of the trailer wheels with the cable to be on the safe side. You never know when you are out having fun wakeboarding that someone is looking at your truck and trailer and is thinking they need this part for their boat. Always be on the safe side...... Plus most thieves look for the quick and easy prey......

(Message edited by wakeboarddad01 on July 19, 2004)
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-19-2004, 5:01 PM Reply   
the pads are used to make it easier for the truck driver. it allows a lil play in making sure the trailer is not too deep, thus causing scuff marks below the rail.and choppy water ect.
i lock em up. i also have a lug lock on the trailer, same as the 4 wheels, u can buy em w/ 5 I.e.spare tire purposes. ive also had lights stolen. yet ive also seen em dangling as the truck pulls up, water pressure sometimes causing them to pop out. after going through intence therapy for self control/anger management. i rather not let something like a petty theif spark my ignition.. lol