Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    chicabrava            09-10-2010, 9:37 AM Reply   
I started wakeboarding for the first time, late this past May 2010. So, roughly, I have been riding for about 3 months or so. I ride with guys only, and a few of them are sponsored riders. I feel like I have learned a lot, and they tell me that I am progressing very quickly. However, I'm still curious to find out if this is true. Jo Jo just put together a short YouTube video of my riding, and I encourage any feed back, suggestions, etc. Here's the link to my video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEHkjv1HZb4&feature=sub

Thanks guys and gals!

Last edited by chicabrava; 09-10-2010 at 9:39 AM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-10-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
AMBER you have mastered alot in just 3 months. i don't understand why you would ask others for advice unless you are looking for attention or you don't respect the opinions of those you ride with.the only advice i could give you is to stop bending at the waist and leaning forward on your jumps. you need to practice with hips pushed out towards your toes and keep the handle closer to your body and low.but i'm sure the sponsored riders that you ride with have already told you this. hope this helps.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-10-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
Progressing fast! keep it up. One thing i'm surprised these sponsored riders you ride with didn't have you working on right away, is pop off the wake/leg extension. Watch this video and you'll see what i'm talking about, specifically at :36 seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGHEecoshl8 You want straight leg extension and you'll reallyyy pop off the wake. You'll be boosting into the flats in no time
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-10-2010, 3:01 PM Reply   
Only advice we give in my crew anymore is charge harder so that is the advice I am giving you.
Old    chicabrava            09-13-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
Ben B.......thanks for the response, I appreciate the feedback. On the straight leg extensions, not true though. You should always bring your knees up once you pop.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-13-2010, 11:58 AM Reply   
see ben it was about the attention. she doesn't care what us non sponsored riders have to say. even if we know what we are doing.it's all about a 4 minute video with maybe 30 seconds of actual riding that actually is maybe 2 or 3 jumps over and over.as for the advice ben gave you it's money. you are absorbing most of your pop by letting your knees unlock and bend.he was just trying to help you.he didn't see my post were i already analyzed this thread for what it was ,in a polite way of course.happy boarding.
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-13-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
I think Ben means straiten your legs before you leave the wake. it looks like you are absorbing a lot of the pop. then bring your knees up after you leave the wake. Correct me if im wrong Ben.
Old    chicabrava            09-13-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
Paul, you could be right. If so, then yes, this is what I've been told. I wasn't "trashing" ben, and I really am just trying to get feed back, as to where I stand on my progression level. that's it. trust me, by no means, do i think i'm a badass, if anything, the total opposite. i am wanting to keep advancing. i appreciate all the comments, and advice. i really do. cheers!
Old    chicabrava            09-13-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
one more thing, robert, i thought your advice was in reference to my toeside jumps, because i KNOW i have much need for improvement there!! i'm keeping at it though. it's hard to remember to apply the same things as i do heelside, when all i can focus on, is how different it feels. I know that will pass of course with practice. i'm trying to remember, shoulders up, rope on hip, and edge in with forward hip movement, and weight on shins and toes. your advice is with me. thanks again.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-13-2010, 4:34 PM Reply   
(Everything Robert and Ben said).

You teased everyone, why not just cut to the chase and show the 4 HS wake jumps and the couple of surface turns? Was this some kind of school project or something? I kept waiting, waiting, and then I see the line tossed out and I am thinking,"wow, we actually get to see some riding", but I was wrong, we got to see you put on your vest.

You will get some good advice and some not so good advice on this forum. But in my times, I feel it is very poor taste to ask for feedback, and then disagree with everything people suggest. It is pretty common knowledge to know to stand tall at the wake to maximize pop.
Old     (Tloud)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-13-2010, 4:55 PM Reply   
Lol wow sounds like a bunch of haters... She said a friend put together a video of her and usually videos whether amateur or not don't just have riding because its a production (and if you haven't figured out yet you can fast forward Videos...). I'm sure she sure just thought it was a cool vid and wanted to see what others would think of what she had... And I love how you just assume she wants attention... who cares either way. Maybe if you would have just focused on the actual riding and not slamming the video this thread could be more productive and helpful to her. Obviously more advice the better whether or not it isn't all the same because everyone rides differently and certain things work better for different people. Amber for only riding for a few months that's awesome, most girls i know that ride couldn't go wake to wake that soon or even attempt toeside. Just keep pushing and before you know it you'll be doing 3's and much more.

Last edited by Tloud; 09-13-2010 at 4:58 PM.
Old    chicabrava            09-13-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
Tony, thank you. You actually get it. I appreciate it.
Old    chicabrava            09-13-2010, 7:33 PM Reply   
Jeremy aka Wake 77........did you not read before you posted........? I just started riding the end of May; that being May 2010. Thanks.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-13-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
well seems like quite a stir here. the facts 1 we don't know you 2 you have a video of your riding you want judged and you state you want feed back. 3 you mention you ride with all guys and some are sponsored 4 the video wether yours or not is mostly no riding but what most people would consider profiling.[check me out i'm cool].5 logical conclusion[we are guys we use logic] whats all this about help or attention?6our side most videos we see are just riding not prep only pros in videos do this.7 we aren't trying to be negative just analyze what we see. 8you tell us we don't know what we are talking about. 9 were thinking did she watch the video ben imbedded for her to help with your technique. 10 i may have been harsh in my statements after that but i was taking up for my fellow wakeworlders that were trying to help.it seemed to me [all i have to go by is text and video]that you didn't want any help just praise.so draw your own conclusions. jeremy was just logically concluding the same as others not trying to bash you just trying to understand what you wanted.like jeremy stated most videos we see are 45 seconds or less and all riding. most people who ask for help at least say i'll try what you say. you have to put yourself in our shoes we have to use logic and analyze what we see.i was just trying to point out one thing on your heelsde jumps ,ben was on the next step. these are two good starting points if you choose to try them. good luck and happy boarding.
Old    alanp            09-13-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
jeremy was correct. that video could have lasted about 45 seconds. we didnt need 2:30 seconds of you getting ready to ride. your hs edge is needing alot of work and you wont be progressing much beyond what you can do now if you dont start standing tall (read: dont bend over) as robert promptly pointed out.
Old     (TheSarge)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-13-2010, 9:30 PM Reply   
Wow, alotta critisism once again on wakeworld. Let the guys you ride with give you the pointers and help you along the way, not the guys that are baggin on the video. You have come along way in 3 months. Keep listening and refining things and you will be fine.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       09-14-2010, 5:03 AM Reply   
nice....joes sister?
Old    chicabrava            09-14-2010, 6:25 AM Reply   
joe's fiance. we just got engaged....and thank you
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-14-2010, 6:48 AM Reply   
imo, your stance seems too wide. i'm sure the guys you ride with can help a lot more, but being in a better position cutting into the wake will help, and add that to your pop and you'll go huge. I always say, pretend someone is pushing down on your shoulders from above, and the only thing that should bend is your knees. Chest out, handle down and out, and imagine someone pushing down on your shoulders and bending your knees. This will set you up and make you much more comfortable and in control going into the wake. Narrowing the stance a little can help with your position too
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-14-2010, 10:02 AM Reply   
A girl I taught to ride started at about the exact same time and she is doing pretty much everything exactly like you hs jumps surface slides etc. you seem to get a little more pop than her but she is more controlled. But she is doing grabs as of recent has tried a few backrolls and is very close on ts wake jumps and she rides full length. That being said your progression is pretty good for the amount of time for a girl. Your hs edge does need alot of work tho. I'm not trying to hate that's my objective opinion. You need to coast in more, you kinda just immediately cranked an edge.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-14-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
mason what is full length. many different ropes and lengths.the wake on ambers boat looked big also. you have to compare apples to apples. i've ridden behind a san and it has a great wake.lots of boost. i usually ride at 70' and lots of others i ride with prefer 65' . if i weight my boat i like 85'. so full length could be a big range of numbers and weight comes in to play also.it's not fair to compare if all variables aren't the same.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-14-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
Haha ok bro 75 ft does that work? She's still alot better rider. I mean the girl that posted this is good for her time but I have seen girls progress just as fast
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-14-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
O and if that is not enough info we run 3400 lbs plus usually 2-3 ppl and her speed is 23.5. Next time she rides I'll get the temp, wind speed and barometric pressure for you.
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-14-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
Well I was about to give some input but her account is deleted. I guess she got the help she was looking for...
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-14-2010, 3:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by superair502 View Post
O and if that is not enough info we run 3400 lbs plus usually 2-3 ppl and her speed is 23.5. Next time she rides I'll get the temp, wind speed and barometric pressure for you.
i wasn't taking up for her. if you read all the posts she didn't care for help she knew it all.i was saying if person A is on a 65 foot rope at 20 mph behind a boat with no weight. it's not the same as person B behind a different boat lets say with a narrow beam with 3400 lbs of weight at a 75 ft rope. just changing the speed will change the width of the wake. weight will change size and shape.this was just a general statement.what you know in your mind we can't know unless you type it.thats why i assume this and that. i'm filling in the blanks as you would do if i made a general statement . don't worry i'm good with everything , i was just explaining about importance of all the information. otherwise we assume what we think is reasonable. happy boarding
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-15-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
Gotcha. U saying u ride 65 or 70 behind a 210 and 85 on a tige or the other way around?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-15-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
i ride at 70 ' behind my tige with NO WEIGHT and 75' with 900lbs and 85' with 2100lbs.i only rode behind the san once he had 600lbs in it and had his rope set at 65' so thats what i used. it was a big wake it also was steeper than my tige but not as steep as the supra worlds editon i rode behind. i liked the san wake because with little weight you had big wake not pro level but big. i figured he could have put 2000lbs and had pro level wake but i didn't ask because it wasn't my boat. i was just a guest.i would consider myself a hard charger style but i'm learning to chill slowly.LOL