Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       11-24-2007, 12:45 PM Reply   
I am looking at putting some bigger rims on my 2004 Escalade EXT and I want to go as big as possible while still being able to use my stock brake's. I also pull my boat quite a bit, so I have to take that into consideration.

What would everyone suggest as the biggest size I could go with while still being safe? So far I have only looked at 22's for the most part. If I go with those, should I get 305/40/22 or 305/45/22 tires. I think the 305/40/22 would be the same overall diameter as the stock 17's.

I would really like to go as big as possible though. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-24-2007, 4:57 PM Reply   
I wouldn't go more than 20's. Even then for peace of mine I would upgrade.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-24-2007, 5:44 PM Reply   
Just get bigger brakes. If nothing else at least order some special pads. Baer make several for for things just like this.
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-24-2007, 6:14 PM Reply   
ummmm....refresh my memory why you need bigger brakes for bigger rims? I can understand bigger brakes if you are going from stock 29" tires to 44" boggers but It seems like bigger rims isn't that big of a deal.

Also, I don't think it is as simple to just get bigger rotors. You are going to have to swap out a bunch of parts on the axle as well...
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-24-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
Bigger wheels weigh more too! Several mags have posted this from lowrider to 4x4 and everything in between. One study in trucks used a tahoe that got 22" and the stopping distance 45-0 was increased by over 58 feet. On of the most recent I read was on driving fatigue from 4wheel parts they used a F-250 and after a few hard hits of the brakes the fluid got so hot it failed leaving the truck very slow to stop. So maybe just get some vented rotors and better pads. bakes... you are right about the rotor you would have to buy other stuff. check out JCWhittney for that and other options. Their kits have worked great for me in the past.
Old     (hp_inc)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-24-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
It is true that you should get bigger brakes when you upgrade your wheels, but I threw 24's on my wifeys escalade with stock brakes and I pull our 23' lsv with no problem (when she lets me steal her ride). It actually pulls better than my truck now that I lifted it etc...
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-24-2007, 8:25 PM Reply   
Bakes, a larger outside diameter of the tire puts a longer lever on the brakes. That means you need to put more force on the brakes to overcome the longer lever. Push harder or upgrade the brakes.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-24-2007, 9:18 PM Reply   
Push harder & they will heat up & ultimately warp the rotor easier.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-25-2007, 12:34 AM Reply   
I had the Baer Eradispeed Plus 2 kit front and Plus 1 rear on my 03 Tahoe. They are an upgrade in size from your original rotor but keep the same caliper. If you want to seriously upgrade Baer has extreme kits too. The Eradispeeds did help in braking while towing and while not. I ran both a light weight 22 and a heavy 24 while I owned it and the brakes were an advantage with both set ups. I would recommend them to anyone. I currently have a Sierra that once I do more towing I plan to add the same kit to also. The only draw back I found with the kits was that I could not use my spare because of the diameter of the rotor. Make sure you check the min. wheel size for what ever you get and buy a junk spare accordingly.

Upload
^^PLUS 2 Kit ^^ (Ignore that it is 5 lug)
http://www.baer.com/
http://www.baer.com/buy/catalog/files/eradispeed-rotors.pdf

If you are worried about braking also worry about wheel weight. Roughly for every pound of rotating weight its like adding 7 lbs of cargo.
So a wheel that is 35lbs vs 25lbs would be like braking with an extra 280lbs in the truck. Look into forged or billet wheels or something light. Extra $$ but will help acceleration, braking and ride quality. My Tahoe had the heaviest 24s I've ever owned and it also rode the worst. In the pic you can barely make out the larger rotor in front.

Upload
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-25-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
So, if you want to go really big why not go all the way to useless...
Upload
Those are 30"
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       11-25-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
Ok, maybe I didn't explain myself well enough. The biggest I want to go are 24's. I want my EXT to keep the "classy" look, not the "ghetto" look. I like the looks of the 24" rims better because they fill the wheel well more.

So, if I stay with 22's and get 305/40/22 tires, I should have the same overall diameter as my stock wheels. So, the only thing that would affect the braking would be the weight of the wheels...correct?

If I went to 24's, what would be the least expensive way of upgrading the brakes to make them safe? If there is no cheap option, then I will just stick with 22's. Also, I want to be able to put the stock 17's back on during the winter, so I can't go with too big of a brake upgrade or the stock wheels won't fit.

Thanks for all of the info so far.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-25-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
If you still have the stock outside diameter you'll have the stock braking. There is no cheap option to upgrade the brakes, so maybe that's not a bad idea.
Putting the stock wheels back on for winter is a really good idea because you have lots more sidewall to absorb a curb or rock hit if you slide some.
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-25-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
If you are going over 20s you should get new brakes. Better safe than sorry.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-25-2007, 8:24 PM Reply   
JKW- What is classy is going to be different for everyone. Just get something that you like.

As for 24s filling up the wheel well more, its really a matter of tire size. Your factory tires are 265/70-17? If this is correct they are 31.6" tall. With the 305/40-22 it would give you a height of 31.6". Going to a 24 you would maybe run a 305/35-24 (like on my old Tahoe above) and be at 32.4". All of these are assuming you plan on a 9-10" wide wheel.

There are three basic ways to increase stopping power.
1. Increase size of rotor (more leverage)
2. Increase size of caliper (more clamping force)
3. Increase size of rotor and caliper (benefits of 1 and 2)
Being able to put the factory 17" back on only leave you with option #2. You can combine this with an upgraded rotor that is the same size and it would be your safest option. You can take cheaper routes such as ceramic pads with powerslot rotors but like wakeitup said "Better safe than sorry"

I think this would be your best option if you want to still run your 17s:

Upload
With new rotor: http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/detail/4260/?make=Cadillac&model=Escalade+EXT&year=2004
With factory rotor: http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/detail/4196/?make=Cadillac&model=Escalade+EXT&year=2004

One other thing to keep in mind is that if you did go to a larger rotor with your stock caliper only 8 bolts would be stopping you from putting it back to being able to run 17s with the stock rotors. You would just want to have a set of pads for the larger one and for the smaller ones (break them in each time for the heck of it).

Here is a few pictures of another brake upgrade I did on another car that I kept the stock caliper. Notice the black relocator bracket for the caliper. If you wanted to go back to stock it would be taking that off and sliding on the factory rotors.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Braking has always been a very important part of the driving experience of all of my vehicles. I guess this is due to my slightly heavy foot and desire to be able to drive with confidence. I feel that I hope this doesn't add to much info. Please respond with any questions. If anyone sees any mistakes I made please point them out.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-25-2007, 8:51 PM Reply   
You don't NEED bigger brakes. Also, not all bigger wheels weigh more than stock. On both my Silverado, and my Denali I have 22's with stock brakes, and tow my boat all over the place with NO problems.

My Silverado had a 265/40/22 (it was also bagged),and my Denali has a 305/40/22. I haven't had any issues what so ever. You'll be fine with that size.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-25-2007, 10:40 PM Reply   
Agreed, you do not NEED better brakes. BBR, I think that JKW is just trying to make sure that he keeps his Escalade as safe as it is with the stock 17s and maybe even make it safer. I think it is a great approach and more power to him.

Upload
Upload
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       11-26-2007, 4:31 AM Reply   
Hey guys, thanks for all of the info. This should help out a lot. I won't be getting the wheels on until next spring since it is starting to snow here, so I will post pics at that time. Thanks again.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-26-2007, 8:03 AM Reply   
FWIW, I've been towing with 22's and stock brakes on my Yukon for years...no issues at all.

If I were going with 26's and up I would change the brakes, but other mods would need to be done too.

Also, if it's snowing where you are, you'll want to keep the stock brakes so you can still put your factory wheels on in the winter.

Just one guys experience.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-26-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
I got 22's on my 08 Tahoe. I love them. Way better ride than the stock 20's.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-26-2007, 8:15 PM Reply   
get the bigger brakes and throw some 24s or 26s on
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-27-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
We put many miles on our 02 Yukon with 22's towing stock brakes. Never had an issue. The boat trailer does have 4 wheel disc brakes though.
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       11-27-2007, 9:52 AM Reply   
NAW,

Where did you get your Milanni Wheels? I just saw your ride on the PDK website. I am actually looking at the Milanni Kool Whip Wheels with the black accents.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-27-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
PDK is the wholesaler that sells to Discount Tire, and all the local shops that are national chains. I bought them directly from PDK because my work has a corporate account with them.

The Kool Whips are boss, great lookin' wheel. I've been happy with Milanni's quality, but I baby them and never have taken a brush to them or an automatic car wash. Wash with car wash soap and a microfiber mit...dry with a microfiber towel...and in between washes, I use windex and a microfiber towel.

The tires will make all the difference. let me know if you have any questions.
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       11-27-2007, 1:38 PM Reply   
Yeah, I thought they were a wholesaler. Can you hook me up with a discount directly from PDK:-) I live around Fort Wayne, IN so I could even drive down to Indy to pick them up!

I had 20" Vision Wheels on my previous Denali (see profile), which is a division of Milanni I believe. They held up well, but I babied them pretty well also. Do you take yours off in the winter because I always did that with mine.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-27-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
They have a location over here by me in Hobart, IN too. I wish I could do something, but I tried for a buddy about a year ago and they jacked me around...it's like they knew or something!

I always take them off...took them off about a week ago....and won't put them on till mid april or so...
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-27-2007, 2:29 PM Reply   
Upgrading your breaks when you get past a 22" rims is a really good idea period. several of my vehicles have larger than 22" rims and I have done brake upgrades on all.
Upload
Old     (poserondubs)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-27-2007, 4:03 PM Reply   
towed a 26ft boat with 26's with stock brakes to and from california-arizona dozens of time..no problem
Old     (fmaxturbosi)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-01-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
just drive careful and you'll be fine! you're trailer brakes work right?
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-03-2007, 9:18 AM Reply   
The Escalade comes with an optional factory 22" rim. If the brakes are the same between the 18" and 22" I think you should be fine without a brake upgrade.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-03-2007, 5:40 PM Reply   
I've put thousands and thousands of towing miles on my 06 F150 with 22"s and stock brakes, pulling an 04 X2. I haven't had any problems, and my trailer brakes aren't exactly working too well.