Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-14-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
I am in the market for a newer boat and I was wondering if I could get some opinions on a couple different models. My budget is limited to around 20,000. So far the two models that I am shopping for are a 96 to 99 VLX or a 99 to 02 DD Supra Launch.

The pros of each for me are:

Launch: One of the few direct drives I have seen you can hide 1200 to 1500lbs of ballast in, most come with at least the 400lb stock tank and a tower, pretty deep boat(I am tall so I don't like feeling like I am sitting on the floor) and I do my own maintenance so easier access to the engine is also a plus.

VLX: I have never been in one of these so these are just based on perceptions. V drive seating is nice but harder to work on, possibly a better wake? Does this boat also feel deep on the inside?

Let me know if you guys have any other pros or cons for these two or any other suggestions for a boat in my price range. Thanks.
Old     (dahmsy686)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-14-2008, 8:19 AM Reply   
Hey, Chris 01 launch DD. Im 6'4" so i like the fact that youare not sitting on the floor. I also like the height of the tower. Mine has the rear tank 400lbs and no ballast up front but as you said you can fit like 1000 lbs or so.

By the way it is for sale. Check out onlyinboards.com for my add. Im in minnesota. There is also a pic in my profile.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-14-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
I have been behind both and can't say there is hands down better wake with either model. I like v-drives way more, but do not think I would own a carbeurated boat ever again which may be the only game with some of the older VLXs. If these were the ONLY 2 models you were considering, I would probably have a slight leaning towards a newer Supra even if it is d-drive, but in the end it would depend on the condition of the boats you are considering.

If you are willing to expand the options, you can find some '00-02ish v-drive Centurions, Tiges, Moombas, and Sangers at or near your price range. All have their relative pluses and minuses but at the end of the day, you will be able to wakeboard with a decent wake behind any of them.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-14-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
Dahmsy, you are in my backyard, I live in andover, i thought that was cool.

I have been in an older VLX and it is a sweet boat. The wake was pretty big and had a fantastic shape to it too. They are harder to work on ant the trannys are very very expensive to repair. I have had 2 DD and wished I had bought a V drive for the second boat just because of the benefits of them. I always go back to remembering how easy it is to work on the DD boats and I do most of my own work so that is a bonus. Between the 2 you listed, both are good boats, but it will come down to what you need/want for your situation.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-14-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
Martin, the Malibu's 96 and newer are EFI. They might go back a couple years earlier too as an EFI.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-14-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
A little more background info, I currently have a 1990 SunSport that I am really happy with but I want to upgrade to something a little newer hopefully with fuel injection like bmartin said. I am also kind of tired of stepping over sacs so room to hide ballast is also important. I think with the launch I could put 400lbs in the rear locker plus the 400 lb stock tank plus hopefully another 600 or so under the playpen. Is this a feasible setup? I guess I am leaning a little towards the Launch but I want to make sure I dont regret not holding out for a V drive.

Are there any other V-drives out there in my price rang that have nice deep seats? The only other boat I have looked it was a 2000 Tige 21V but it hadnt been taken care of very well so I wasnt impressed.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-14-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
Also, are there any other direct drives that can handle the ballast setup described above and still have a little bit of room for gear?
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-14-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
Coming from a older supra owner, I would go with the vlx. I just love that boat. The wake on it is fantastic with 1500lbs or so.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-14-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
I am almost the exact scenario you are considering. My first inboard was a 1999 Malibu VLX. No ballast system for that year but with added weight a very good boat. I did have issues with the V drive gear box always leaking oil but overall a good boat. If you like to slalom though.. forget it! I sold it in 03, spent my time in my Broin-Law 04 Malibu VLX until last year when I got an 03 Supra Launch 22SS DDrive. For me, I prefer the DD. I get the best of both worlds, I can taylor my wakeboard wake with the wakeplate, Great slalom wake, the wakeboard wake is comparable to the VLX only wider. (I got more room to add more Ballast too) I just ride on a 5' shorter length. There is a lot of bow rise on the pre 04 VLX especially when pulling smaller wakeboarder in the teen MPH's. I have to stand in the my bro's 04 VLX when I pull is 120# wife in order to feel I can see safely. There is a lot more storage on my Supra. I wish my DD had the larger fuel tank like the VLX (28 vs 35 gal) I have only the 325hp indmar vs the 340 monsoon and having the extra ponies I guess is always nicer (guy thing) but not necessary. The ease of steering on my Supra is good, but for some reason the VLX seems better! I don't now why? it just does. All of the ease of maintenance comments are very true about the DD! I can work on my own boat now. The ballast pumps work faster on the older VLX's then the Supra's. Finally, in my opinion, I like the fit and finish of the supra better. The leather is softer, there are more chrome rail accents to the Supra, I prefer the looks of the older Supra towers over the older VLX, and the interior lighting scheme is better. Just my 2 cents of experience...
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-14-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
VLX, but I am biased.