Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old    d_fresh            12-22-2007, 12:45 PM Reply   
In another thread I posted pics of the new purchase, a stripped down pontoon boats. 24' in length and 8' wide. I was told this was the best base to build a slider/fun box. I have been looking around online to see what kind of ideas I can get.

The slider/funbox will be used at our annual beach party and tournament. It will be used in the Outlaw Division, and also for a wake skate rail jam. Is it really neccesary to have them high off the water? Is there a type or stryle that would be best suited for both wake boarding and wake skating?

I've included pics of the pontoon. I'm ready to start designing and building. I just don't want to make something to big, complex, and out of budget. I do not want to spend beyond $1000 total if possible.Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-22-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
Pretty bad a$$. Keep the pics coming as you build it.
Old     (vin)      Join Date: May 2007       12-22-2007, 3:30 PM Reply   
man i wish i could help you build the fun box looks like its gunna be a good thing, as far as for what to build its all in your head just dont try to make any moving or hinging parts, just have fun with it, try not to go to high or over hang the ends or you will need to support or brace anything off the ends
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       12-22-2007, 3:39 PM Reply   
Sounds like a good idea... And a pretty fun project, too!

What all do you have in mind?

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with something along these lines...
Upload
Old    d_fresh            12-22-2007, 5:30 PM Reply   
Blake, only if you help, both with muscle and money. And also deal with the snow.
CRASH, I saw in your profile that you are a carpenter. Damn, I wish you lived close by.
Any one nearby want to contribute cash and carpentry time.
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-22-2007, 6:36 PM Reply   
doug, id love to contribute some money but im broke..... if your still working come summer / spring time, id be glad to help with some manpower
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-22-2007, 6:46 PM Reply   
i would build something kinda like the ony in the pic from OWC above. you dont have to make it rolly like that but i would deffiantely build something that has the fun box on the one side and has some sort or rail that runs on one side
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-22-2007, 6:54 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       12-22-2007, 11:32 PM Reply   
I'd love to be a part of that project... Too bad you're not in SoCal, or Texas!

Good luck, keep us posted.

-Blake
Old    d_fresh            12-23-2007, 4:30 AM Reply   
Jason, did you use treated lumber? Or just plain ol pine 2x.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-23-2007, 9:55 AM Reply   
that slider isnt mine. i think it belongs to the conway wakeboard school in stockton california. they use it at some of the local contests. if i were building one like that i would probably use treated wood just because of the nature of it being in the water.
Old    d_fresh            12-23-2007, 4:51 PM Reply   
Hey WW readers, what is the typical width of a flat bar rail?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-23-2007, 5:56 PM Reply   
Doug, two trex pieces wide
Old     (vin)      Join Date: May 2007       12-23-2007, 6:11 PM Reply   
yes that slider belongs to DWC in stockton and i have done some work on it for tom, thats why i said above try not to make it over hang the ends becouse that is what broke on that one and was hard to fix, and imo i would over hang just enough to hit the water , again good luck and have fun, and if you hit up some job sites you might get some wood in good shape, we get rid of good wood all the time.
Old    d_fresh            12-23-2007, 6:15 PM Reply   
As far as the other surface of the fun box. Everyone seems to mention UHMWP for the surface. Is this the only material that can be used? Are there other less expensive materials that would be suitable?