Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-06-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
I bought a boat from a company that will remain nameless and have had quite a few issues with it. Below is the timeline of the events, my questions is am I right in having an issue with this company or is this a normal thing?

Bought Boat: 50k

Ask for a Tee Shirt from thier board shop and told that is was a different company (All though my boat is covered in stickers from this place) and was giving two hats instead.

Take it out for the second time and the boat dies. I take it in, loose cable behind the battery.

Take it out the Third or Fourth time and there is a crack in the Gel coat, my back bench does not close all the way and the modeling on the walk through is coming off. Get the boat back and my cover is torn to shreds and my bimini is all red from the over spray. I had to take it in 3 times to get all of this fixed.

Somewhere in here my ballast went out too.

After complaining I received an $800 item for $150.

Took it out 3rd time from getting it back and it died, they said they would be in the neighborhood and would take a look. They said it was the battery and change it out without telling me and said I owed them $100 for the battery. After I said I do not want it I got my battery back with a re-charge and it worked fine.

Now the side board behind the drive seat is coming apart from the hull. Which I have not taken it in back in since it is summer and I do not want to be without my boat for a week or two.

It got back to a lady at the company that I wanted a T-shirt and she made a comment that I can give her back the $800 item for a T-shirt; which pissed me off. Am I in the wrong here?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-06-2007, 11:39 AM Reply   
Let me guess. Its an 06 X1. No you are not in the wrong. I would say the only thing you did wrong was purchase a $800 item for $150. I would not have paid a cent.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-06-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
was it new when you bought it?
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-06-2007, 11:42 AM Reply   
Your good Paul!!!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-06-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
Same question as Billy, did you buy it new or used?
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-06-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
It was a Demo (9 hours) when I bought it but they sold it as new (meaning warrenty).
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-06-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
Frustrating, yes, but I don't see anything yet that would make me want my money back.

Bad batteries, cables loose, gel coat cracks are part of owning a boat. So far it sounds like the warranty is handling it.

Torn cover and overspray on the bimini is carelessness, and that would upset me too.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-06-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
Quality, quality, quality. Notice my sarcasm. These are not issues associated with owning a boat. MC is taking one short cut after another, and they don't want to admit it. They are not what they used to be. Get ready, they will drag their feet to do warranty work, if they do it at all.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-06-2007, 12:29 PM Reply   
My reply is a large echo of what J-Rod just said...

Though I could do without the odd comments from "the lady." My dealer use to run into me at the boat ramp and throw me a few t-shirts... he would give them to people who were with us... If he had 'um....he was handing them out... Advertising...
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-06-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
EJ,

It was "a lady" not "the lady". I would agree that the dealer should want to advertise.

C.I.E.,

I don't want my money back but I don't want an additude that what they gave me was more than enough.

I had a another boat before this and had no issues with it and it was half the price.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-06-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
I agree with J-Rod. Sounds like more than half of your issues are dealer related more so than factory related. Some dealers supply and install the batteries at their shop when the boats arrive from the factory, so a loose cable or dead battery is most likely the dealer's fault. The torn cover and overspray issues also sound like dealer issues.

As for the T-shirt, some dealers throw in gear and others don't. Some dealers also lease out space in their shop to someone else to run a pro-shop, so treating the two as separate businesses is quite common.

I've found through experience and from reading posts such as these over the years, that pretty much all boats have issues like these. The difference comes down to the dealer. I had my share of issues when I first bought my Supra, but my dealer has been awesome and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another boat from them. I really believe that a good dealer is almost as important as the brand of boat you choose to buy.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-06-2007, 12:55 PM Reply   
Mike, what your going through is fairly basic issues... knock on wood. Frustrating yes, but not serious problems, ie blisters, leaks, broken tranny or motor. Make sure you keep good records and accurately document everything that happens. Also make sure any promises they make are in WRITING!! Such as replacement covers, biminis, etc. I personally work for a car dealership as an internet sales manager and I will do anything for the customers that are understading and helpful, on the flipside if your rude you get put on the back burner and get nothing. Issues often come up and although its hard, stay as level headed and as understanding as possible. Dont get me wrong, you need to be firm and let them know they aren't going to take advantage of you or the situation but threatening etc will work against you. And from the sounds of it you are on the right course, so keep it up. Reguardless of what some people might say, MC are great boats and quality has not gone down. Boats are boats and things will always come up. In the end I think you will be very happy, its just a matter of working out the little bugs that come up.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-06-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
Once the boat is sold its "good luck". Some dealers are great and others shouldn't really be selling boats. I bet now that MC has sold that quality continues to go down to bring costs down and make more boats and that will make more money, $800 in service on a 50K boat is nothing in their book. Texas Ski Ranch Mastercraft? That would be a guess, but why would they act like that? They seem like they would be standup people.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       09-06-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
My friend got two t-shirts, a beach blanket, and a coffee mug. I got a fire extinguisher, 4 life vests, 2 flags, throw float, oar, cooler bag, trailer pads, crap load of floating key chains, and lots of Babe's boat products. What do you really want? I got plenty of t-shirts, I would rather have the $500 bucks worth of coast guard stuff.

Any new boat has a few bugs and that's where your decision on which dealer to buy it from becomes very important!

Disclaimer- (nothing is free, remember seeing that little charge on you invoice-DEALER PREP)
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-06-2007, 1:11 PM Reply   
I am ok with having issues with the boat but I guess what is making mad is the handling of it from the dealer (like everyone has stated). When I had a boat in CA the deal would make sure if you took it in that it was washed a detail when you got it back.

At this dealer I hope not more is broken when I get it back.

Thanks, T-Bag I think I will do what you said about the records.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-06-2007, 1:33 PM Reply   
slipknot I'm sure a guy like Roger Penske is gonna gut the quality out of a company like MC. I dont think so.

Mike like it or not the boat is probably over 12 months old, and even though it had 9 hrs on it, 1 year of sitting in the weather and not running isnt the best thing for it. It kinda sounds like if you had gotten the 5 dollar tshirt you would have been happy and never posted this. I think if you talk to the right person this will all be resolved and you will be happy with your new boat. If you are at Texas Ski Ranch see a guy named Josh Kohl I used to work with him at Cypress Gardens he will help you on the service side. Josh is a former skier/wakeboarder so he will understand your problem, he can probably get you that tshirt also.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       09-06-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
Yeah man, all dealer on that one. All boats get there and...dealer prep. There is a charge for it, but it differs from dealer to dealer. Some deliver it to you full of gas, detailed, batteries in, plugs, etc. ready to go. Others don't. Some give T's, others a handshake.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-06-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
EVerything you mentioned is dealer related and Mastercraft takes service after the sale VERY seriously. You will get a survey from MC about 4-6 months after your purchase to get your opinions on how the service after the sale is/was and your views on the quality of their boats. I was told me that dealerships have lost the ability to sell MC's as a result of their poor service after the sale. So be on the look out for the survey and fill it out accordingly. Also, MC does watch these and other boards to see what is being said.

My experience so far has been great with my dealer, Liquid Sports Marine, and I'm sorry yours hasnt been as good.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-06-2007, 2:11 PM Reply   
Maybe I was a little harsh with my comments on the MC. I guess I should speak on my experiences. I have owned 3 new malibus and 2 used ones. Out of those five boats, I have never had the issues spoken of in this thread. I have owned one NEW MC, and had more problems in 2 months out of that one boat than I did with 5 malibus. A lot does come down to the dealer and the factory. Malibu dealers and factory have always taken care of me. Mastercraft dealer and factory told me to go screw myself. They try to imtimidate you and make you think they don't have to fix it and that 50k boats being in the shop every week is a normal think; it isn't. Good luck on the MC.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-06-2007, 8:34 PM Reply   
where did the whole M.C, thing come into play, i thought he left names out. loks like big ed's thread is getting to some folks around here.

its all part of owning a boat dude. i have worse stories than yours with my old dealer that should of went to court but a certain stand up company, pro flight, took care of me, the customer. and guess what? a year later i bought my next boat from some where else and im stoked. live and learn brotha, its hard i know.

"Dont sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things"
Old     (madvlin)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-06-2007, 10:42 PM Reply   
you know when i bought my sanger they sent me a box of goodies including a 2 T shirts,hitch cover,all kinds of stuff. MC needs to step it up and get back to customer satisfaction roots!
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-06-2007, 10:46 PM Reply   
Wow this post blew up! I'll catch up later so sorry if this was already said, but JRod- "gel coat cracks are part of owning a boat" Agreed but this is an 06 X-1 and weve been seeing more and more MC threads pop up with exactly this problem. As I do agree with you that cracks happen when owning a boat, these boats SHOULD NOT crack as soon as you basically get it off the lot. What is MC selling?!?!?!
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       09-06-2007, 11:42 PM Reply   
We all have our opinions and brand pride but really! MC builds a good boat. And in some ways they are the best and other ways they are not so good, kinda like all boat companies. It's your job to shop around and ask people what about their boats and dealership they really like and what they do not. I'm sure he is not the first person dissed by the t-shirt nazi at that dealership, or the first person to receive bad service there. So, why start bashing MC? You own a boat you have a story. Like when I got towed in by an x-star
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-07-2007, 6:08 AM Reply   
dude the thread is about an MC, so why not talk about it?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-07-2007, 7:00 AM Reply   
Because all of the problems mentioned are dealer related. BTW, Matt, I have a buddy that has a Malibu, and has had problems with his DEALER, the boat has been great, but the dealer that he bought if from sucks. The dealer takes care of the customer, not MC or any other manufacturer. Any wakeboard boat that is manufactured today can be picked apart, but that is not the issue. IMO, the only thing that is MC's fault is that they picked this dealer to represent them...
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-07-2007, 8:09 AM Reply   
"crack in the Gel coat, my back bench does not close all the way and the modeling on the walk through is coming off."

"Now the side board behind the drive seat is coming apart from the hull"

Some of the issues mentioned are dealer issues, but those quoted above seem like manufacturer issues to me...
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-07-2007, 8:29 AM Reply   
Bryd, the final word lies with the manufacturer. Why do you think MC created a customer service center at the plant for boat owners? I can answer that question, because dealers weren't getting it done. From my perspective, the factory doesn't do any better. The dealer is important, but if the builder won't back their product, than the dealer has no pull whatsoever.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
That would be a MFG issue^^^ if it just came out of the shrink wrap but it didnt. The boat was a demo and has been unwrapped no less than a year.
A crack in the gel could be anything from a stress crack to abuse. The back bench not closing whatever that is, is probably just an adjustment. The molding coming off just needs to be reglued. And what is a side board?
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-07-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
Like it has been proven time and time again

Your boat buying and maintenance experience is only as good as the dealer that is supporting you. When you buy a boat the dealer(or even lack of) should be high on your list of things to take into account
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-07-2007, 9:54 AM Reply   
I understand all of your points but to have a boat start to fall apart like that is rediculous. And good dealer or not I'd be pissed if it were my boat. Maybe MC will actually step up for these issues unlike the ones weve seen in other threads.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-07-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
i'm with you tyler. They should but they won't until they are forced to. They are focused on worldwide growth instead of taking care of the people at home.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-07-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
How many times does it need to be said, "THE DEALER USED THE BOAT AS A DEMO FOR A YEAR" Therefore the DEALER should have made it perfect before it left the lot and Mike would not be having these problems. How can MC be responsible for how the dealer or customers treated this boat during the demo time?

BTW, I have first hand experience with this, my boat was a demo as well, but my dealer made sure everything was perfect and/or fixed by the time it was delivered to me.

Also, if Mike would have bought a brand new boat w/ no hours on it, then he wouldnt be having these problems as well, but that is another story...
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
Tyler other threads? are you talking about the BU's substandard floors thread or the fact they use of "livewell" pumps for ballast(the kind you can buy at Walmart)thread or the delaminating hull liner in BU's thread. I have seen plenty of threads about Malibus as well. There was just a thread about a CC dealer and how they gave up CC because of quality issues. Or the chick that had blisters in the hull of her Supra.
My point is there is plenty of issues out there for every MFG/dealer not just MC.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-07-2007, 11:11 AM Reply   
"That would be a MFG issue^^^ if it just came out of the shrink wrap but it didnt. The boat was a demo and has been unwrapped no less than a year."

BS, if it is something that the MFG put together and it is not lasting it is their issue to ensure that is is resolved, end of story. Is it the dealers responsibility to fix the MFG issue, YES, but if the dealer did not cause the issue (like with the overspray on the cover etc.) then it is the MFG's prob. to ensure that the dealer fixes.

Regardless, moulding etc. should not be falling off after two years regardless of how easy a fix it is. I don't care if it is a 100K MC or a 20K Bayliner.

Byrd, you are right that the dealer has the responsibilty to ensure that a demo boat is perfect before it leaves the lot but the MFG ALSO has the responsibilty to the customer to ensure that the dealer fixes the issue properly (provided there is a warranty on the boat).

(Message edited by zo1 on September 07, 2007)
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-07-2007, 11:30 AM Reply   
Am I the only one that thinks of a dealer as an extension of the manufacturer? Whether it's a poor craftsmanship or poor service it reflects on the product and I hold both accountable.

Perhaps the manufactures of reputed high-end products should exercise some quality assurance over who they let sell thier product. If the dealership is indeed a seperate entity then maybe they should discontinue selling inferior products or at least be accountable for faulty merchandise that they sold.

The manufacturers and the dealers need to come together and figure this out but the customer shouldn't be left holding a bag of "feces" for his $50K.

There should never be a need for the customer to go to the manufacturer. Whether you consider the dealership as an extension of the manufacturer or a seperate entity that bought this boat from the manufacturer and resold it, they should be responsible for it. Telling a customer to seek satisfaction elsewhere is not only poor service it seems unethical to me.
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-07-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
I am not ripping on MC and nor do I think anyone one should. I am also a fan of almost all boats and I think there are good & bad on all.

I think when you buy a boat you are buying the dealor too. If they treat you good and take care of the problems you will be happy with the boat.

In my case they gave me a deal on something and now think they should be done taking care of me as a customer.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       09-07-2007, 12:18 PM Reply   
mike you summed it up in one sentence. "when you buy a boat you are buying the dealer too." my advise to all who are buying a boat buy the dealer first. ask for reffrances old owners would be good. some one with a couple years experiance. when i bought mine i talked to as many people as possible. there were a few neg. comments but most were very possative. when i went for a test drive i explained to my sales man i was buying the store not the boat. he said as it should be. the proof was in the pudding when in my second time out on the lake the boat dies on the way in around 10pm. i call my sales man he brings his personal boat out and tows me in then proceeds to leave his boat tow mine to the shop and pick his up later. the next morning the shop calls me and says we hooked the shift cable back up come and get it. thats one example of many on how shopping for the dealer made my choice on wich boat a simple one and i have been very happy with my boating experiance. sorry sp
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-07-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
Billy- I realize there are other boats with other issues... but most are taken care of by the dealer or manufacturer. MC lately in many posts has seemed to almost turn their cheek and I haven't seen any of these resolved yet. The Supra was out of warranty. Malibu's "substandard floors" hahaha I almost 200lbs and can jump up and down on our floors and no issues whatsoever. Yes they all have problems, the point is which companies are more prone and willing to fix them.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-07-2007, 8:35 PM Reply   
Malibu's live well pumps sure don't burn up like those on an mc. Sorry, just had to point that out. The story here is that MC has refused, especially in recent posts, to stand behind their product like other manufacturers. Their attitude seems to be "we're mc, we're the best, it's not our fault, deal with it." When I had a trailer fall apart on a brand new mc, the dealer wouldn't call me back. I had to go to the plant, and threaten to sue them before they offered as a "good will gesture" to give me a new trailer for a boat that was three days old. I owned the boat 3 months it spent 4 of the nine weeks I owned it at the MC plant. On the other note, a demo with nine hours is practically new, I wouldn't think it had been abused.