Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-02-2010, 9:41 AM Reply   
So as not to hijack the other thread I figured I'd start another.
Kind of like the idea of a slightly smaller sized tower speaker then the pro60, since I have an illusion tower. A couple questions.
1. What do they avg price wise for a pair
2. Does anyone have them and what do they think
3. What kind of config is best run them
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-02-2010, 10:46 AM Reply   
Chris -

Thanks for creating a separate post. I appreciate that. Here's a run down for you.

1) They msrp at 850.00 which comes with the spinner clamps, speakers and also include the sox covers.

2) Several wake world guys on here are running them and can give you some direct feedback.

3) Config wise, You can put 2 pair on the illusion tower. Whats cool about it is the clamp direct fits into your factory locations and you still quick disconnect and can rotate 360 degrees while playing music.

Here's a couple of links to eyeball:

Shows an installation on illusion tower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxpAQmzsgwA&feature=player_embedded

Shows the clamp design. It's complicated and best explained visually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb9Oa6KfLTM

Any questions about power requirements etc, hit me up at brian@exileaudio.com

peace!

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-02-2010, 10:51 AM Reply   
They are $850 a pair. I have 2 pair on my Supra Launch being powered by 2 Exile XI800.4 amps. I think they are a great speaker. They have a very clear crisp sound in the boat for just floating and while someone is riding. And they also sound great for the rider. Plus i really like the fact that I have no wires showing anymore. Everything for me is ran through the tower.

There is a guy on here "B~rad~y- pdxWAKE.com (big_b_21v)" who has 2 pair on his VLX. You might want to PM him and ask him what he thinks about them on the illusion tower. But go to Exile Audio and check out the video of them being installed on the illusion tower.

Here is a couple pics of my setup
tower
speaker
amps
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-02-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
Elite? I'm sure you meant Exile XM7. When I bought mine the retail price was 850.00 pr. which includes clamps and speaker sox.
I have not permanently installed them on the boat yet, but I have been running them on various home audio amps and side by side with other tower speakers. I have heard them near field and outside at 80-90 ft.
The Exile enclosures and clamps are the best I have seen with regard to engineering and aesthetics. Especially with an Illusion tower. Very clean install. I bought the sound quality version and I am glad I did. SQ is a small tweak in the crossover to smooth out the treble a bit. If you have heard an HLCD speaker, you may have noticed the treble is harsh or bright. Others call it "loud and clear". I call it "artificial impact". Whatever you call it, some like it and some don't. The Exile XM7 has a bit less of that sound. I have been told the MaxxBass unit will warm up the sound even further. I have one on the way and hope to hear it in the next day or two.
If you are not familiar with the HLCD sound, here is an experiment you can do at home. Roll a manila folder into a cone and have an assistant hold it up to the tweeter on your home speaker. Also have them hold a towel a few inches in front of the woofer. Turn the balance all the way over to that speaker. That is the HLCD sound.
Right now, Exile XM7 and the JL 7.7 non HLCD are the best I have heard. These are two very different speakers. If you are all about sound quality, the JL is the one for you. If you are ok with bright speakers, the Exile will be louder at 70ft. I have done a side by side comparison with 4 JL against two Exile. The volume is close to the same, but you can push the Exile's a little harder before they start to lose it. The bass and mid bass with the Exile is impressive for a small speaker. The more I listen to Exile, the more I realize what an exceptional speaker it is.
Old     (mmandley)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-02-2010, 11:25 AM Reply   
I have a double up set of the XM7s. I have them powered with the new Harpoon 1k amp. Insane is all i can say. These speaker sound incredible, they are bright, crisp, and clean sounding way past wake boarder distances. They are sick loud basically.

Id post pictures but i cant seam to figure out how. This is my thread on the Moomba forum that has pictures. http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=7844&page=8

In my profile is 1 pic i was able to get uploaded.

(Message edited by mmandley on February 02, 2010)
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-02-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
We switched to the Exile XM7's and couldnt be happier. They are crisp and clean and the quality of the sound in the boat is just as clean in the boat as it is at 80 feet.
We will be installing the Exile Harpoon amp this spring but we are currently running a 600.4 that is pretty much pushing the max to run all 4 speakers.

http://www.pdxwakesnow.com/viewtopic.php?t=139&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start =30

http://www.pdxwakesnow.com/viewtopic.php?t=1601
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-02-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
chris,

All of the positive comments that the Exile XM7s have received in this post thus far are well deserved.

Let me add that both pair can rotate independent of one another on an Illusion tower. So regardless of the boat's orientation while beached or at rest, you can get sound to the front, rear or both.

They really sound good and should be ideal for your application.

BTW, good move with the fresh thread.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-02-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
They are probably a bit much for what I need, but I want a pair of good tower spearkers that don't take up a ton of sapce and sound good. These sound like they fit that bill. Do you guys know of a dealer in Denver?
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-02-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
Chris - pm sent.
Old     (x45)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-18-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
Brian,

Who is the exile dealer in Denver?

Thx
Old     (britshorty)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-18-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
B Rad, you mention that they are as clear in the boat as they are 80 feet out. Are you talking about similar volume levels? By that I mean do they still sound clear in the boat while they are loud enough for 80 feet back, or they are clear at appropriate in boat levels and then when you crank them for out back they sound good for the boarder but in the boat they lose crispness?
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-18-2010, 1:57 PM Reply   
Joe - sent you some info via PM.

Shorty - I'll let B-Rady give his own input but I will say the XM7 isnt muddy sounding in any listening position. Period.

For guys that want to have built in amplifier voltage controlled sound shaping for their tower setup we will be shipping a 500x2 amplifier in 3 weeks that lets the user change things on the fly.

In simple terms it lets you alter the sound from wow bright into wow Warm sound without loosing any articulation. Think of it like a sleep number bed for sound- hehe!

We'll get some info up on the website next week with some video so people can see the amplifier in action.... Everyone asks the same question... does it work? with a weeks worth of sun shining in Portland maybe we even get on the water..whoa!

peace

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-18-2010, 2:40 PM Reply   
Just got my XM7's cant wait to get them loaded up. Also went ahead and got an entire set up boat speakers and new 12" sub. Thanks to Brian for all the help and phone calls. Customer serviced was incredible. Good luck with those twins it aint for the faint at heart.
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-18-2010, 7:24 PM Reply   
They are clear in the boat at wide open levels as well as a low and medium level. My point was that they are clean at all levels. I have yet to hear any distortion at any level and we have pushed them pretty hard.

I prefer the lower range sounds vs. the high end pitchy sounds. Thats just my preference.
With any horn loaded setup you are going to get plenty of highs. I dont know if its because of the length of the horn but the XM7 seems to have less of the highs in the boat that other that we have had in the past yet they are still crystal clear out to the rider.
Old     (britshorty)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-18-2010, 8:24 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to get up to a local dealer and hopefully hear them in person. Then the next step will be to de-shrinkwrap the boat and installing a pair...
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-19-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
For all the people pm'ing me about Colorado Exile retailers... the guys I refer to is

www.kustomkaraudio.com

Good guys that know their stuff. And definitely know their way around tournament boats.

peace!

-Brian
Exile Audio