Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-11-2010, 1:01 AM Reply   
I buy a lot of wakeboard DVD's and as a result already had a lot of Ronn's films shown in this DVD (I'm a big Sidewayz fan) but I was very disappointed with this, the picture on a 40" TV was terrible, looked like something off Youtube, not from a professionally produced DVD.

I have not heard anyone say anything on the forum, is my DVD just a dud or has anyone else noticed this. The picture is really blocky and the resolution makes VHS look good.......

Anyone else had this issue?

Last edited by Kane; 10-11-2010 at 1:11 AM.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       10-11-2010, 4:59 AM Reply   
never heard of this problem
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       10-11-2010, 7:50 PM Reply   
I have the dvd and to me it looks fine. I've watched it on something like a 25" screen and it looks perfect.
Old     (arrydjay)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-12-2010, 12:55 AM Reply   
you didnt buy it from thailand did you???haha
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-12-2010, 5:39 AM Reply   
No I bought it a long with a number of other dvd's from a reputable website, everythig else is fine and the DVD looks legit, I have bought form these guys before and I have no reason to doubt the vendor.

I bought Slick City also and it seems perfect. Comparing the same footage on 1000 to All or Nothing or Retrospect the later 2 appear higher quality.

Has anyone else had this issue or is it just me?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-12-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
10,000 miles of film is easily one of my favorite videos of all time. It is a compilation of the video parts that shaped my riding. Being a compilation you have to realize that many of these films (some almost 20 years old now) were probably rendered from VHS tapes because the masters were long lost.

It is probably not the best vid for a HD experience, but if you want to travel through time and see the best riding by the greatest riders ever in the sport--you need this one for you collection.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-13-2010, 4:46 AM Reply   
I agree with you Justin, that is why I bought the thing.
But what I'm saying is that clips form other DVD's I have which are featured in 1000 are worse quality on the newer DVD then they are in their original press.
To me that makes no sense.
I assume you have some of the other movies featured in 1000 miles? Can you see a deterioration in quality?
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-13-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
I just got this video a week ago and have watched it like 10 times. The riding in those older videos is amazing to watch, Parks, Shapiro and Vandall all went so big. Overall, a necessary video for any wakeboarder. Park's section from 12 Honkeys blew me away.

But I agree with Kane, the pixelation of the DVD is quite bad. Even newer sections like Transgression don't look as good. It looks like way to much compression was used or a low end editing program was used to do the final production. I have an Aquos 52" LCD and played it off a PS3 and like I mentioned, the quality just isn't there.

Also when you rip from a VHS you will get some loss of quality but what Kane is talking about is more to do with compression/final production not poor quality sources of video.