Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (jpg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-27-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
Has any one ridden one what is the difference between the Reflex and the Recoil?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-27-2008, 11:54 AM Reply   
Have NOT ridden it

but from what i can remember from vids and discussions it is stiffer in the middle and flexier in the tip and tail (more so then the other slingshot boards). It also has a progressive___________ (3-stage or continuous i am not certain) rocker

http://thewakeplace.com/videos/EXPOSlingshot.html

slingshot (flexnwake) put up some interesting pics of it here. I don't know if it is a bit of an illusion, but those tips definitely look to have that progressive bend "more like a snowboard"
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/638106.html?1225243575

I want to think i remember hearing that it had a bit thicker ABS side wall and maybe a beefier bottom too (even better for sliders), but I am NOT certain.

BUT hey, Ya, I'd love to hear some more on it too and to be set right in my place ;)
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-27-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
straight from SS itself, the reflex is probably going to be a rail board, and Jeremy hit it on the head, stiffer in the middle and flexier on the tip and tail.

Going to be killer on rails and should give a great snowboard feel. Jacques is riding it now, so it's good on the wake to!
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-01-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
Upload

Upload
Upload
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-01-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
Those graphics are sweet!
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-01-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
am I right Flexnwake?
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-01-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
so they're going to be stiffer in the middle? that's my main complaint ab the first recoil/reflexes they were almost too flimsy. but that could also be because i'm a on the larg side.
Old    Slingshot            12-01-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
The Reflex has a 3 stage rocker, but has less rocker then the recoil. This board is made for rails. It will work ok behind a boat doing wake to wake tricks, but the recoil will be better for a "behind the boat" board. The Reflex is stiff in the center and flexy in the tip and tail. This board is going to kill it on rails!
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       12-01-2008, 11:41 AM Reply   
The board looks sick!
Old     (flexnwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-01-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
JoshBuzz your assumptions are correct.

This board will be key in cable,rail,urban winch programs.

Will work behind the boat but this is not your typical wakeboard. Very flat 3 stage. Great for the cable park or your urban winch sessions. This board is made to take some abuse! Dura-glide* base for better durability on kickers,rails,and anything else that eats up decks.

Not saying its gonna be totally bomb proof but it's sure is going to handle hard abuse and tons of griding,sliding,hitting,and pressing.

Base durability on rails, kickers, ect... were consumers top priority when it came to upgrades for 09.

Super Limited Yellow Short Bus decks are shipping and being used so rider feedback should be bubbling up from the pool.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-01-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
don't mean to jack your thread... but do the 09 Slingshots have traditional inserts set up for the new style 6 inch non-Slingshot binding plates, or will I still have to use adapters (09 CWB boots) to get the widest stance like I do on my 07 CWB board?
Old     (rob_jacques)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-02-2008, 6:10 AM Reply   
Just wanted to jump in here and say that the rocker was designed with the wake in mind for sure. This is the board I ride full time, wake and rails. It has a subtle 3-stage rocker as opposed to the recoils abrupt 3-stage and the responses continuous rocker. So its a really nice merger of the two previous boards, Its not as crazy explosive as the recoil but it has just a little more snap than the response. I hope this helps.

Shralp on brothers!
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-02-2008, 6:55 AM Reply   
thanks rob.

funny that slingshot is calling something "super limited"
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-02-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
Yeah,

but it also really is super limited, as you haven't seen anywhere you can buy em have you? I think they decided where these boards went, making them truly super limited!

And Rob is so god to see you on Slingshot!

ONE LOVE.

Shred til Death.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-02-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
Thanx for all the info
the description of it being a mesh between the two (with some extra beef) is great!

I bet the next board to hit the line will be named the "ReBound" ... maybe

(Message edited by wakerider111 on December 02, 2008)
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-02-2008, 6:09 PM Reply   
Anyone on my previous insert question?

and Robby, all that convincing of yours at the camp this summer might just make me jump ship to slingshot haha
Old     (rob_jacques)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-02-2008, 7:01 PM Reply   
Hell yea Roddy, I must have missed your post somehow I didn't even see it, sorry! I hope all is going good with you and hope the weather isn't too harsh up there. To answer your question yes the 09 sling's have traditional hole patterns as well.
Old     (agaubrey)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-02-2008, 9:35 PM Reply   
Simple = Good

Upload
(still fresh)
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-02-2008, 10:22 PM Reply   
what makes the reflex not as good for the boat but better for rails? does the stiffer center play a role in that?
Old     (rob_jacques)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-03-2008, 5:32 AM Reply   
Mitch, The original concept was to make it more of a rail board but as we got farther and farther into testing we decided to change the rocker so it would be a great board for the wake as well. The Reflex is just as good on the wake as the two previous shapes, now you just have more options when it comes to rocker patterns.

take care.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-03-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
If I recall correctly, The reflex is an only child, hes waiting in the park. The reflex is in charge of finding treasure in the dark, and watching over lucky clover isnt that bizarre?
Every little thing the reflex does leaves you answered with a question mark.

that is all
Old    jonklein            12-03-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
Rob, Do you have any Videos riding the Reflex behind the board?
Thanks!
Old     (travisp)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-05-2008, 6:03 PM Reply   
Just got my shortbuss yellow reflex in today, and it rode awesome behind the boat ! It was the first time I got to ride the finalized one, and I was way stoked. A lot faster than the recoil but more abrupt pop than the response. Like Robby said, it is a perfect blend bewteen the recoil and response.

Travis Propst
Old    jonklein            12-05-2008, 10:37 PM Reply   
Thats sick. I talk with slingshot and they are sending me the yellow one next week! I cant wait.
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-06-2008, 7:52 AM Reply   
Waiting on mine to come in.I plan on riding it behind the boat. It looks sick.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-06-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
Ill trade someone my recoil for the new reflex. it sounds like it would be more my style. lol or if anyone from ss is reading this
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-14-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
Hey Rob or Travis or anybody, how well does the fins hold up on sliders and kickers. I like to ride finless on sliders and w/fins on kickers. I once tried to ride a press with fins on a flat box and it tore one of them off. It was a crappy fin, not the one the press comes with but never the less I'm worried if I ride the reflex with fins at my cable(KC!!!) then I'll damage the fins and need to keep replacing them. I'm either going to buy a Liquid force Press or the Reflex. I'm leaning toward the reflex right now though.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-20-2008, 9:15 PM Reply   
Does this board flex as much as the others? I was watching an old video of the slingshot crew and someone was standing in the middle of the board on the grass and bending the HELL out of it. It was moon shaped. Coolest thing I saw on the video and it was a sick video. Plus the video on wakeplace.com with the 360 nose press that board bends CRAZY. Man that looks like fun. I might just have to look into the flex boards!!
Old     (ddunk)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-21-2008, 2:02 PM Reply   
I think this is the video you talking about its about 1:46 that thing is flexing like crazy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxKzEkKGIDM

(Message edited by ddunk on December 21, 2008)

(Message edited by ddunk on December 21, 2008)
Old     (toxis)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-21-2008, 5:18 PM Reply   
it's kinda bendy....
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-21-2008, 6:44 PM Reply   
the slingshot site says that the super limited short bus reflex boards are available but there is only 15!!!!
Old     (travisp)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-21-2008, 7:13 PM Reply   
Yea our new fins are a lot better than last years. Last years fell off really easily, so we used a completely different material for the new ones with a larger bolt size.

I ride mine finless at the cable or hitting rails but when I have hit rails with the new fins they didn't fall off.

Heather prefers to have some sort of fin but finds the .75 to be too big, so I grinded down some of the .75's to like a .5 then epoxied them for her and she loves those behind the boat and on rails.. So there is a possibility of us making an even smaller more round fin thats more rail friendly,but don't hold me to it ha

Hope That was helpful

Travis Propst
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-21-2008, 9:40 PM Reply   
Sounds great about the fins Travis.

you definitely should put in a good word (from all of us wakeworlders on slingshots) for them "slider friendly shorter fins." but, ya, no prob, won't hold ya to it. ;)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-21-2008, 9:57 PM Reply   
slightly off topic, but i suddenly found myself envisioning a flex board with some molded-in-fins made of abs/pvc stuff (like the side walls are made of, something to maintain flex but be durable) that would be "tuneable" for even the most shallowest of depths.

maybe i am off my rocker a bit on this one as some of my other ideas ;)
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-21-2008, 11:38 PM Reply   
jeremy, i believe the 07 byerly legacy had abs molded in fins that were shapeable.
Old    justinh            12-22-2008, 6:02 AM Reply   
Could someone with superior wakeworld editing skills stack an SS reflex beside a CO Super limited-Thanks
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-22-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
hikack- hey justin arent you the guy that made that vid captain of my heart? if so thats the best video ever! You guys ride in the dallas area dont you? - end hijack
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-23-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
like this?

Upload
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-24-2008, 12:14 PM Reply   
Upload

Another FLEXcelent photo of the flex
Old    justinh            12-26-2008, 6:58 AM Reply   
Thank you for the comparison--they appear very similar.

I live in Houston now. It is a lot warmer and the water is a lot smoother. I keep saying that I am going to make a sequel to Captain, but just not had the time.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-26-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
sure do "appear" to be similar, when summer comes i am sure we will hear all sorts MORE of info, opinions, and experiences on how Slingshot and Company are different (inside and out)... AND Humanoid too

It is gona get exciting, hopefully it will be more positive/ constructive excitement than negative