Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (dnannen)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-11-2008, 11:19 PM Reply   
So today I found out I have shingles. They said it was a rare case and that I cant ride for 2 to 3 weeks or I could become ill. what should I do I dont think i will be able to sweat it a week? What would you do?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-12-2008, 3:19 AM Reply   
Depending on the location of the shingles outbreak they can become very serious. If on your face or head they can affect your eye's and potential blindness. I would follow the doctors recommendations in this case. It's only 2-3 weeks out of a lifetime. The medications they have today are effective. 20 years ago the shingles virus could last for months and cause serious nerve damage.
Old     (ai_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-12-2008, 4:56 AM Reply   
Believe me, you want to stay out of the water for a bit. I just had them at my waist level not too long ago. Extremely painful but it goes away with the proper meds. Definitely do not try and push it too early. Luckily, I had mine in the winter....just no running or gym for a little while. Good Luck
Old     (dnannen)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-12-2008, 7:19 AM Reply   
Ya I got them a week ago and have been out torching down duck blinds in 90 to 100 degree weather for 8 hours a day.I decided to take it easy they have spreaded from my back to my chest with a burnig itch. I also noticed I have been light headed and very tired. So rest it is.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-12-2008, 7:38 AM Reply   
sounds like you got the right idea. You surely don't want to make them worse.
Old     (jnelson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-12-2008, 7:48 AM Reply   
I had a break out last year while traveling to different events. My break out was in my eye, left side of my face and sinus cavity. That is when you know pain! Because of the location I was misdianoisted and given the wrong drugs. It took me three weeks to kick but I was in the water everyday pulling demos. It will probably help to get some rest but I kicked mine with the wrong drugs and on the road.
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-12-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
Torching down duck blinds?
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       06-12-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
Derrick,

Not sure why they said it was a rare case. It happens all the time. Mine happened the same way. I rode my bike 15 miles on a 100 degree day, came home and worked in the yard for a few hours. It was the heat and just overdoing it that triggered mine. I have had them twice years apart, both times in May the exact same weekend when it started to really get hot in TX. Mine never went above my mid section.

Good luck and wait it out.

Ken
Old     (dnannen)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-12-2008, 1:52 PM Reply   
JHG: While I am out of school for the summer I am working on a duck hunting club. Basically maintaining and moving the blinds which are what hunters use to hide and call the birds in. There usually made of metal so in order to get it out we have to torch it into segments and use a back-hoe to pull it out.

Ken:I think they meant rare cause of my age.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-12-2008, 3:37 PM Reply   
Derrick:
It's not rare. I am 42 nd had them a few months ago. It is a form of chicken Pox Virus. I was in Florida on business trip and was sure the hotel had bed bugs but my nipple hurt like hell. Flew home & went to Dr,then took a week off. I have never been so tired or worn out in my life for like 3 weeks I slept alot.

Hook me up if you you of a duck club I can get into a 4 man blind on a rotation or pay as you go. Funds just arn't available any more to by 2 seats @ $1500 each. I got a good dog if you ever need a guest..

Rick
Old     (czap)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-12-2008, 9:29 PM Reply   
shingles SUCK!
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-12-2008, 10:38 PM Reply   
a couple came off my roof today.....

not really sure what you guys are talking about
Old     (dnannen)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-12-2008, 11:15 PM Reply   
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/shingles/article_em.htm