Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-20-2006, 8:42 PM Reply   
I like the new x2 a lot, awsome looking boat!. I am considering a VLX but am undecided. Any thoughts? Any pics of x2 color schemes or wake? and yes i have drove both boats and unfortunately only boarded behind the x-2. I have boarded behind a 23lsv though.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-20-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
maSTERCRAFTS ARE such a piece of crap...have you looked at Bayliner?

hehehehe, just starting of what is soon to come.
Old     (kneeboarder8806)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-20-2006, 9:03 PM Reply   
well if you get a mastercraft you might park next to one other guy where as if you get a malibu you will park next about 15 other people with the exact boat as you just MAYBE a different color scheme
Old    stillstandin            04-20-2006, 9:32 PM Reply   
Two totally different boats. The VLX is more comparible to the X star...X2 is a much smaller boat. I think it would come down to what is important...size and storage, or the looks of the X2. I dont know about the wake of the X2, I think people are still trying to figure out how to wiegh them. But the VLX has a awesome wake...
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-21-2006, 4:05 AM Reply   
every 2 years I look at 3 brands, MC, Bu, and Supra. I keep coming back to the VLX. For me it's a combination of dealer, style, features, wake, performance, and QPR. Either boat is going to be a fine choice with years of service.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-21-2006, 4:46 AM Reply   
actually the new X2 is just as roomy as the vlx and it has a good amount of storage as well imo
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-21-2006, 6:00 AM Reply   
It is very true that with the BU i will have the same boat as everyone else. I was at Lake Anna a few weeks back and that lake was packed with Malibus. not that i should care, but for some reason i do. I think the color schemes on the malibu are real busy i like the simple look of the x2.

The x2 is a smaller boat but it really does not feel that much smaller on the inside.

would it be better to wait for an 07 x2. The wake seemed real nice to me and from what i can tell most people are saying the wake is like an xstar just a little smaller. I suppose if i waited for the 07 they should be coming out soon.
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-21-2006, 6:18 AM Reply   
It is only a couple months to wait and see. Not to mention that if you decide they didn't change much you can get a better deal on the 2006. Not that you are interested but, CC is making a huge change to their 210 this year. You may want to check that out too.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-21-2006, 8:03 AM Reply   
Here is a 2005 VLX wake. No wedge, just 4.5 people and MLS.Upload
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-21-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
"if you get a malibu you will park next about 15 other people with the exact boat as you just MAYBE a different color scheme"

tell me about it. we got our vlx and for 2 or 3 glorious weeks we had one of the few '05 or newer malibus on the lake. now they're everywhere. most of them are xti's or lsv's, but they still look identical from the outside. they're catching up quickly to the number of 210's on our lake. oh well, i guess that just reinforces what a great quality boat they are. it shouldn't matter, but it's always cool being unique.

in my opinion, the x-2 is the best looking boat on the water right now. the bow's a little small (ok, a lot small), but it's for the ladies anyway. i'm still waiting for a non-owner to say something flattering about the wake though.
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-21-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
It is weird because in portland all you see are MC, SC, and MBs. I dont notice many Malibus out and about. If it was me I would take the Malibu hands down. That new MC X-15 is maybe something to look into?
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-21-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
You can't really stretch out in the bow of the X2 like some other brands, but it's still a nice size. My feet were on the windshield for sure and I'm 5'-10". The cockpit is huge though. Loads of room and it is deep, unlike some Bu's I have been in. Wake as stock was good for me, but I have yet to ride it. Much wider than my DD Ski. Tower sits back further too, so I'll have to refigure the rope length.

It seems funny to me that people want to compare the VLX and X-star. I think there is as much size difference between them as there is between the VLX and X2. Coincidence???? Maybe! If I were to buy a new boat today and length and money were no issue the two I would look at would be a Bu LSV and the Tige 24v. Comfort, storage, and price are the factors I will look at though.

Eric
Old     (nclasen)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-21-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
I would have to speak in favor of the X2 for several reasons. After spending all day in a friends boat this passed Saturday I would have to say it would be my new boat of choice (still waiting for a ride in the X15) and I'm not a current boat owner.

To start with the boat rides and drives excellent even in the chop. With only factory balast the wake was excellent and both the intermediate and more advanced riders in the boat had great sets behind the boat. In the haste of getting to the lake we left our fatsacs behind, but I would say that the boat puts out a very very nice wake for factory ballast. I think they are really doing something with that shape, and the need for tons of weight isn't really there. I still intend on dragging the fatsacs along next weekend, but I had no complaints and enjoyed my sets.

Also for those of you who like to surf as well as wakeboard the surf wake was excellent. 9mph and factory ballast produced a perfect curl.

My wife is really wanting to get a new boat this year, and she spent the entire day in the bow (with bow filler cushion) and enjoyed it. It would probably be cramped for more than 2, but it was satisfactory.

Someone said they wanted to hear an opinion from a non-owner so that's mine.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-21-2006, 12:39 PM Reply   
Pictures......how about pictures.

Wake?

Surfwake??
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-21-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
pictures of the x-2 would be great!

suppose both boats are priced the same with the same options...any thoughts on that
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-21-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
Sean-I am in the situation as you. I have been looking into the X2 and the VLX. Looking at the boats and weighting everything out I am going with the VLX. If the VLX was a car it would be a Benz or BMW. Subtle yet sporty with clean lines. This opinion has nothing to do with the dealer cuz the dealer up here sells both Bu and MC.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-21-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
2006 X2. Stock ballast, two people in the boat. Needed a longer rope....Tough choice, in my situation I would go X2 b/c of the dealer. If you have a good BU dealer, you have a really tough choice. Go with your gut....

Sam, the upper Willy is full of BU's..

Upload
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-21-2006, 4:19 PM Reply   
Same price.......go with the Bu
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-21-2006, 4:51 PM Reply   
I went with a VLX just cuz it looks so sexy on the water and the price was soooooo right ! I do give the "coolness" nod to the X2. Its very futuristic looking. The wake pic of the X2 actually looks much smaller then my old Xstar/X2/X1 wake but alot cleaner all the way back.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-21-2006, 8:44 PM Reply   
I really loved the look of the VLX until I saw Joe Mitchell's X2 at the CIE spring ride... That thing was the sickest looking boat on the lake!!! If you are a hardcore wakeboarder you are probably better off with the VLX, SAN, X1, or XStar.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-22-2006, 5:33 AM Reply   
I would personally go with the MC, besides being a long time MC owner, I really like having the only boat like mine on the lakes. Around here there are more Nautiques than anything else. It's nice to pull up somewhere and get stares and comments because your boat is not the same thing that just drove by 5 min ago. If everything else is equal, I would always pick the one that was different.
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-22-2006, 8:25 AM Reply   
I do like the x2 more, mostly for the fact that it is very different. The Malibu dealer is making me a great deal on trade for my boat so that is making it harder.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-22-2006, 8:44 AM Reply   
The decision alwayz seems to come down to the deal no matter which boat you lean towards most. You'll be happy which ever way you go. If you go VLX "DONOT" skimp on the optional bow ballast or power wedge there a must IMO
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-22-2006, 9:40 AM Reply   
I'm sure the X-2 wake can be made large, but damn(!) in the picture above that is one tiny little kids wake. Nowi know its impossible to tell the wake from a picture but in my experience with the boat the wake was subpar. The 'bu is almost legit with just stock ballast and Wedge. Now add 2k and you have one of the sickest wakes ever.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-22-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
That Bu wake is mine and the wedge is not even down in that pic We added two more people and it tossed my sorry ass up and into the flats at 75'If you can't w2w behind any of the mfg's boats with stock ballast, you need to learn edging
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-22-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
i'll take that a step further...if you can't go w2w behind any UNWEIGHTED v-drive you should work on your edging instead of trying to figure out where you can fit more sacs
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-22-2006, 2:40 PM Reply   
i know this is off topic but the shape of the VLX wake..i seems rampy to me..and not real abrupt and hard on the knees when you hit it hard...am i correct?
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-22-2006, 2:49 PM Reply   
You are correct. If you add the wedge, the wake will firm up and be more abrupt.
Old     (djhuff)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-25-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
I will agree, the X2 wake does not look as large as teh bu wakes, but do yourself a favor and don't pass judgement on a picture... ride it. The wake is very poppy Still has a good ramp, but MC has really improved the lip on this wake. I know I'm an owner, but I have all the parts to add 1800 lbs to it sitting in my garage, but it really isn't a priority right now. I'm happy with it the way it is.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-25-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
What am I missing?

I think thats a paltry looking stock wake for a state of the art wake boat.

The X2 stock wake:

Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-25-2006, 2:35 PM Reply   
For an apples to apples comparison, the X-2 wake looks SAD stock.

Sure you can beef it up with ballast but the negates the comparison. IMO, looks like MC missed the boat spending all their R&D money on a good "lip" (quoted from Matt Huff Above) No pun intended. Skeeter boats have a good lip too
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-25-2006, 2:41 PM Reply   
maybe all this anti-x-2 press will cause people to sell theirs for bargain basement prices. then maybe one of my friends can buy one, and we'll get to ride the "sad" wake all day with huge smiles on our faces
Old    stillstandin            04-25-2006, 2:44 PM Reply   
I heard that at the recent CIE spring ride...all the riders riding in the contest were complaining about the new X2 wake...the eventually made the switch to an 05 X2 to pull the contest. Somebody made the comment about the VLX being more comparable to the X2 than the X star.. The X star is a huge boat, but the X2 is a foot and a half smaller. Prehaps the X15 is more of a comparison
Old     (strimble)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-25-2006, 8:22 PM Reply   
my thoughts exactly, the x10 or x15 I think are more comparable to the VLX
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-25-2006, 8:32 PM Reply   
X15 since they don't make the X10 anymore. I saw a beautiful new X15 today. It was huge, looked twice as big the 06 X2. Okay, bit of an exaggeration, but probably twice as expensive
Old     (djhuff)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-26-2006, 10:49 AM Reply   
I'm glad everyone on this site is so concerned with how things look. Seems to me like most of the people who are bashing the wake are looking at the picture, or taking someone's word for it who rode behind a boat that was not set up properly. Granted the set up is just an opinion, but the boat does need more weight up front. 60/40 doesn't seem to work, but hey, all boats are different.

Oh wait, I own one, so my opinion doesn't count.

If you are picking a boat, ride behind both and choose the one you like the best
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-26-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
Matt, seriously, how objective is your opinion?

What boats have you owned or rode/driven extensively in the past and how do they compare to the $60K X2 (that you own)?

To really compare boats, I think someone need to ride/drive the boats on alternating weeks with the same crew for many weeks.
This is how I came to know the BU VLX (year 2000), CC SUPER (same hull as SAN), MC X1 (was named Xstar).
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-26-2006, 1:07 PM Reply   
GD whats your point? Are you the site historian ?

(Message edited by mitchj on April 26, 2006)
Old     (nclasen)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-26-2006, 1:35 PM Reply   
Someone earlier asked if price wasn't a concern would you choose a VLX or an X2. Would anyone considering buying a new boat make their purchase soley on wake shape? Now ofcourse no one is going to buy a boat that has an ill wake, but in this situation comparing an X2 to VLX there are many things to consider, and none of them should come from a picture.

Construction I would think would be a major concern. You wouldn't want a boat that's going to crack around the tower mounts, or have a less than solid feeling ride, or at least I wouldn't. Would you be concerned that every where your boat has a bolt, screw or fastener of any type it was reinforced with appropriate metal backing plates? Lots to think about as a potential boat owner.

Ride behind and drive them both before you make your decision. I have seen the BU's and the MC's gutted side by side, and I have ridden behind both and there are obvious differences in both.
Old     (djhuff)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-26-2006, 1:41 PM Reply   
GD, I'm just making a statement that many who are doing the bashing on here have not actually ridden it once, which by your definition is not enough to pass judgement anyway.

Did I also say anywhere that my boat was better than anything else? Just that it is not as sad as people make it out to be. I'll be sure to consult the great wake master before my next purchase.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-26-2006, 1:42 PM Reply   
couldn't agree more nick.
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-26-2006, 1:45 PM Reply   
Nick you sound like my mastercraft salesman! You are correct def gotta ride and drive both and yes there is a lot to think about!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-26-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
Matt, thats a fair answer. Thanks.

Realize that I have been excited about the X2 for a long time. I was hoping it would be my next boat. This is where my interest lies.

Hopefully, I will get the opportunity to use it in real life this season. For now, the info here also interests me.
Old     (djhuff)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-26-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
I'd pull you but I think it would be a little far of a commute.
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-26-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
Hey Nick,

Are you saying that the MC is a better built boat? That may be true and I have my owner's goggles on since I have a VLX but here is my limited experience with the two boats. One of my buds has an '03 MC X30 and he has had numerous problems with the boat. I enjoy riding behind and hanging in the X30 so this is not a bash MC post because I like them. I just know that I've had both a 2000 and a 2005 BU with zero problems while he consistently has electrical, ballast system and even engine cooling system problems. And he's had the problems since he first got the boat. Having said that, I would definitely look at the X-2 and the X-Star if I were shopping right now even though I am very happy with my VLX.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-26-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
I asked Ryan to chime in on the construct of his MC.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/288590.html
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-26-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
That's hilarious RichEvery boat has problems, none are perfect, some just fit buyers other than other dealers. Next year when looking at cars, a 4 dr sedan, a 2dr conv, and 2 dr coupe will be on the list, it all depends how i feel that day
Old     (dfwharvey)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-26-2006, 4:47 PM Reply   
Rich, I am amazed you can have your mouth on the BU crotch and still use your foot to kick MC. That is some great flexibility.

Sean: I own a MC and to be honest you need to ride behind both of them. Then you can honestly evaluate the two boats and compare them. When you get to the bottom line it is your money and your boat so it is your choice. Choose wisely based on your own observations. All the top manufacturers build good boats, they all have problems, and with the right care and a good dealer you will be happy with any one that you choose based on your own criteria.

Rant finished.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-26-2006, 7:00 PM Reply   
What can I say I call it as I see it. I am not bashing anyone. For a company that whole existance is pro caliber wake/ski boats this is a sad wake stock.

YOU TELL ME. I have never seen the wake of the new x-2. Judging from the 2 pictures. One of a VLX with stock ballast and no wedge. price approx $53,000
Upload
and a X-2 stock for about approx $70,000(http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/usedvehicledetail/preownedvehiclecode=303012/MasterCraft/Boats/X-2/usedvehicles303012.htm)
Upload

Which boat would you feel better about taking home(dealers aside)? I can do a whole lot with the difference in cash.

(Message edited by rson on April 26, 2006)
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-26-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
well what speeds are the boats at. the vlx could be going alot slower abd that can affect the size and the VlX has more stock weight.

you cant really determine which wake you will like better buy a picture. you need to ride behind them for yourself
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-26-2006, 7:12 PM Reply   
VLX was going 21.5 and was on speed.
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-26-2006, 7:14 PM Reply   
right now the BU dealer is gonna give me 3k more for my boat than the MC dealer..that is playing a big factor..

i like both boats a lot and think the MC is probably a more solid boat..but i dont want to loose that 3k ..and like we have all said they are both well built boats
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-26-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
sean go with the boat you like. Like contains many issues for me, just not the boat.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-26-2006, 8:38 PM Reply   
Rich, how can you call them as you see them and skew the numbers? Stock X2 for $70k, come on man. Even on THIS website the 06 X2 is listed at $56,290.

http://www.wakeworld.com/boats/getcompany.asp?companyid=37

I was quoted a fully loaded one out the door very near $56k.

I do agree with you, tho and I have my MC ownership googles on. Dealers aside, for wakeboarding I choose VLX over X2. Dealers aside for the same reasons I choose X15 over VLX.

Why do these threads always come down to MC vs BU? Can't we all just get along? Both make halfway decent boats. Lets save our energy and arguments for more important things, like jetskiers and fishermen.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-26-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
"Why do these threads always come down to MC vs BU? Can't we all just get along? Both make halfway decent boats. Lets save our energy and arguments for more important things, like jetskiers and fishermen."
-Bryan

Why? Because IMHO they are the two closest boats with regards to quality, wake, price, interior space, options, and intangibles than any other brands.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-26-2006, 9:28 PM Reply   
Bryan, I did a search a found the first x-2 actually for sale. I don't have a quote for a X-2. I am sure prices vary per region.

What can't people stay on topic....X-15...NOT mentioned

OTHER Boats....NOT mentioned

WAKES after sacking the hell out of the boat...NOT mentioned

I think Ritalin should be a prerequisite for posting

(Message edited by rson on April 26, 2006)
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-26-2006, 9:56 PM Reply   
"I did a search a found the first x-2 actually for sale"

"What can't people stay on topic....X-15...NOT mentioned "

Ritalin should be a prerequisite. Maybe people should be able to string a sentence together before posting!! When you edit a post, please fix it?

Old    noah_d            04-27-2006, 4:46 AM Reply   
Dont think there is a winning answer here its all going to depend on personal opinion.....fit and finish and or dealership you will probably not go wrong with either dealership.....
Far as BU seems like in 06 all the baja owners are buying them this year down here, or atleast that has been most of the walleys.

Wake pictures are very decieving and looking at the wake from the boat is very decieving too.

Bu wakes look big but are soft as mash potatoes---X2 wakes look small but are hard as a rock not as hard as the 210.

Any of the wakes you can produce good pop and it comes down to personal preferrance, I prefer the harder wake so I would pick the X2

Demo Demo Demo and find the answer for yourself

Far as the VLX you gonna have to sack that out as well if want the most out of it, I added 1k lbs to my 05VLX and I was still not happy

I would not listen to RSON's opinion once he either buys a boat or can jump a wake2wake more than 2ft of air....Never seen Shane ride other than surfing so I dont have a opinion there yet

(Message edited by noah_d on April 27, 2006)
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-27-2006, 5:32 AM Reply   
Nothing like a little personal smack. I guarantee you have never seen me surf. We all KNOW why you would buy the X2, and it has nothing to do with the boat

Comparing the BU to a Baja, that is well, less than bright. If you look at my post regarding the X-2 it is clear that I recommend either boat and it really comes down to buyer preference, my preference just happens to be with BU and WSA.

(Message edited by auto on April 27, 2006)
Old     (muffintop)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-27-2006, 5:45 AM Reply   
Just bought VLX- Came down to 06 X2 vs 06 VLX. The 10K difference did it. If the MC dealer would have tried to be competitive, it might have been a real decision, but they didn't...

This is really a BMW vs Mercedes argument. Drive them both, get your best deal. Both wakes can be customed tuned to the way you like them. Surfing, however seems to be advantage VLX. I'm getting old, and that looks like fun...
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-27-2006, 6:08 AM Reply   
"Bu wakes look big but are soft as mash potatoes"

Actually, that defies laws of hydrodynamics. Seriously, try to build a big rampy wake with a long transition and a subtle lip that's soft (defined as having little water mass). It's impossible. That kind of wake has to be meaty and have a lot of backing to achieve that shape. X-2's and 210's will always FEEL harder because you hit steeper wakes with more force, hence the analogy "running into a wall". Just thought I'd add my input into the impending disaster that is this thread.
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-27-2006, 6:09 AM Reply   
x-2 wake hard as nails and the BU wake soft as potatoes. I have rode them both and the BU wake does not seem to be real soft and the x-2 wake was not significantly harder...imo
Old    noah_d            04-27-2006, 6:34 AM Reply   
Just telling it like I see it. Shane you don’t know me, and you don’t know why I would buy another boat. I don’t know you personally, but you or any one else are more than welcome to ride with me, I don’t have any issues with any one. 2 sides to every story so you shouldn’t be so quick to judge

If you read correctly I didn’t compare baja to vlx, I said it seems most 06 buyers came from owning a baja. I didn’t say what boat was better and I said each dealership would be equal and they should demo and each wake would come down to a personal preference.

Sean – as stated before personal preference on wake, that was IMO

Only correct way to win – is to demo
Old    noah_d            04-27-2006, 6:45 AM Reply   
jeff - IMO looking at 05vlx weighted down 1k extra the wake looks bigger than 210 weighted down. but after hitting both wakes, I could feel it mush, but on the 210 it felt hard and after riding both wakes for a considerable time I prefer the 210 wake......and after riding the x2 I felt more comfortable with that than the vlx
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-27-2006, 7:00 AM Reply   
Noah, I'm not arguing the 210 and X-2 feel harder, they should, they're steeper. The nature of a rampier wake would cause it too feel "softer" but this is a product of shape, not an actual lack of water thickness. Like I posted earlier, big rampy wakes have to be meaty. A mushy rampy wake wouldn't have enough backing to come anywhere close to the size of a VLX wake as wakes with a long gradual transition have to "build" upon themselves
Old     (nclasen)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-27-2006, 7:08 AM Reply   
Vlxray, Sorry if my post sounded like I was bashing the build quality of the BU. I definitely wasn't intending to do that. I just wanted to say that I have seen them both being built (factory tours) and had seen both brands stripped down side by side to compare component for component and there were just obvious differences. I'll leave those differences out of here as not to start riot. Just wanted to make that statement to add another angle to Sean's decision making process besides the extensive argument for wake shape.

Actually I also had a buddy that had an X30 with apparent fuel system issues, but on his side he had a great dealer that corrected the problem for him and got it right the first time. It's unfortunate for both manufactures that the QA team happens to doze off at the moment our boat is rolling through the production line and we end up getting to know our dealers service department, at least for a short while.
Old    noah_d            04-27-2006, 7:11 AM Reply   
thanks jeff, only other thing i dont like about my vlx is the gas consumption sucks compared to some other brands
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-27-2006, 7:19 AM Reply   
Noah, tell me about it. I like the wedge (which really does add a noticeable kick to the lip) but never use it anymore because of gas prices. I have to ask though, why'd you buy a VLX? Are there any aspects you do like? It seems an X-2 or 210 would have been a much better choice for you.
Old     (nclasen)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-27-2006, 7:49 AM Reply   
Without trying sound like an advocate for MC I can comment on the consumption of fuel for the X2. The first weekend we took the boat out was it's break in period. We put 7 hours on it and the boat consumed give or take 5 gal/hr. The second day out we had full factory ballasts with some of us surfing and others wakeboarding and near as we can tell the consumption improved. I would say that it's probably safe to assume that with 6 people and factory ballasts you could expect 4.5 to 5 gal/hr.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-27-2006, 8:04 AM Reply   
i get about 5-6 gph with stock ballast (1250 lbs.) + 4-5 people, but when you put the wedge down it's a whole different animal
Old    noah_d            04-27-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
Originally purchased the vlx because all of my friends owned a vlx. I ordered it with out test driving the boat. I really like the interior and space and I do like the color options that Malibu provides. Actually I really don’t have many complaints about the boat other than gas consumption, turning radius, and even with all the ballast tanks I still had to add fat sacks.

So in 1 year I racked up 320 hours so I think I know the boat pretty well. I stopped using the wedge as well because of gas and it was hard as hell to turn. Any ways as I met different people with different boats and was given the chance to ride behind their boats.
Basically my riding style fits the 210 wake, I can perform the same tricks behind my vlx as I can behind the 210 but with a lot more height.

My choice now in boats are based off wake and and my riding style. If size, comfort, or rampy wake was what I was into then I would stay with the vlx. IMO you cant go wrong with any of the big names in the boating business, and I just wished I would have test drove and wakeboard before purchasing my first boat. Lesson Learned
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-27-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
Gas smas if you can afford a towboat, gas is just a minor issue, just like the beer.

Noah did say something as to why i bought my VLX, size, comfort, and rampy wake. Throw in WaterSki America in Dallas, and it was no-brainer
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-27-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
This thread reminds me of the Chevy vs. Ford thread. Each brand has their loyal supporters. Some have stronger feelings than others, some are more opinionated than others. I feel that it is a mistake to make general statements about a company's build quality. These are hand built machines from successful companies. I have been around CC and MC since the early 70's and BUs since thier inroduction into the competition ski market. At this point all are mature companies building good products for the most part. All of them do things I do not like and all of them do things I do like, but I would be naive to suggest that one is superior by any significant margin.

When I bought my new boat in 2005 I considered all three even though I have owned Nautiques forever. My final decision was to buy a Nautique because it was most familiar. I really enjoy going out with friends that have MCs or BUs, both make different and great boats.

Take you time with your decision. I find it more helpful to ask owners how they feel about thier own boat, not how they feel about other's boats. There are posts from both sides of your choice on this thread, send them a personal note asking them to list the 10 best things and 10 worst things about thier own boats. Wake pictures are always deceiving, too many variables, angle, speed, weight... Give me any boat, I can throw 1500lbs into it and find a speed and angle to take a picture where the wake will look massive. There is much more to a wake than just size, anybody that rides behind a 210 can tell you that. If it's truly the biggest wake you are looking for then I would also suggest you expand your search beyond MC and BU (CC too) as I feel that the king of big wake does not belong to one of the big three.
Old    noah_d            04-27-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
affordability is not the issue, it is hauling the gas cans back and forth from river

re-read my post never asked you why shane - but i do know why you would need the extra room

(Message edited by noah_d on April 27, 2006)
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-27-2006, 10:16 AM Reply   
huh????? Please elaborate since you don't know me, as you stated in an aforementioned post. Of course, you can always email me if you choose not to make snide comments on a public board.

(Message edited by auto on April 27, 2006)
Old    noah_d            04-27-2006, 11:11 AM Reply   
you are correct I dont know you personally, but have seen you at the river, I thought you were gs2, but a fellow passenger corrected me.....i already invited you to go for a ride or stop by the lot, I dont have any issues with you or any one else for that matter
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-27-2006, 11:21 AM Reply   
Excellent. I will be down saturday and sunday. lets hope we get the forecasted rain. Always look forward to meeting new people.
Old    noah_d            04-27-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
cool i will be there saturday only - i think we are only getting rain saturday morning, but we do need atleast 3ft more to be at normal water levels
Old     (theresa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-27-2006, 3:41 PM Reply   
Great. Can't wait to meet you auto!