Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-18-2004, 1:31 PM Reply   
I was skating yesterday & fell forward & put my arm thru the handle.....a trip to the ER & some vicadin later & now I'll be laid up a couple dayz i'm sure.

it feels like it's going to pop! the bruise runs from my arm pit to my thumb & it is big time swollen! Don't try this at home folks! :-)

Any one have a gauge on how long till I'll be back in action?
Old     (wakeboardrn)      Join Date: May 2002       07-18-2004, 1:59 PM Reply   
Talk to Pat McCarthy over at the other site. He did the same thing several years ago, tore his bicept. He'll have some idea of how long it takes to heal.
Old    walt            07-18-2004, 2:14 PM Reply   
I see some of my friends stick there arm through the handle sometimes while riding and it always makes Me cringe.
Get well soon Levi !
Old    indyracers10199            07-18-2004, 2:41 PM Reply   
wut handle, the wakeboarding handle
Old    walt            07-18-2004, 2:42 PM Reply   
right.
Old    tcboarder            07-18-2004, 3:34 PM Reply   
i got my arm thru the handle a last week, luckly i didnet go that deep. i got outta it with a big bruse on my wrist, but nothing near that bad, but it was really painful at the beginign i thought i broke my wrist, anyways get well soon man. i fell for ya
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-18-2004, 6:24 PM Reply   
how is your mobility etc?
I did that last year, swollen an inch in circumference, the whole arm. I had to go through about a month of PT but was riding the weekend after I injured it
Try to keep the arm moving idk if youve been told... it will help move all that blood out, mine too was from my armpit to my wrist... it looked worse near the elbow/forearm though and I had some shoulder trouble... which was why I had to do PT. Do that PT... it will help your riding making you stronger anyway, and get back on the board asap! I was jumpen cliffs and wakeboarding the next week even though I probably wasnt supposed to. Suck it up you'll be riding in no time
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-18-2004, 7:08 PM Reply   
Hey man, same story here. I did it at the beginning of the year. It was nasty hurt and like shiz. Mine looked similar all the way from the armpit to my wrist. The handle caught me in a few spots on the way down, partially tore my bicep and bruised my forearm and wrist. I rode the next weekend, but it hurt like hel!, kinda had to ride mainly switch for a while. It's cool now and can only see the slight tear in my bicep. Don't worry, you'll get better. It's just the price you pay to play.
Old    reefhunter            07-18-2004, 8:28 PM Reply   
Same story here a few years ago, armpit to wrist. You'll be back at it in no time. The biggest worry on mine they said was "compartment syndrome" but I didn't have it and I was rollin pretty quick.
Old     (doubleup360)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-18-2004, 8:53 PM Reply   
I did that same thing and broke my handle. it didnt even leave that bad of a bruise.
handle
the handle is so hard I cant even bend it back with my hands. the worst thing is I now have to use an old tractor grip handle.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-19-2004, 8:09 AM Reply   
I also did the same thing a couple of years ago. My wrist got caught in the corner of the handle and pulled me underwater for about 100 ft. I thought that my arm was going to rip off before I came loose. It broke a bone in the wrist and ruined the week at Powell.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-19-2004, 8:14 AM Reply   
That must of been real scary, I never thought about that happening. Hope you are back shreddin' no time!
Old    dickster            07-19-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
Try this..All of the Hydrofoilers use it. Its automatic and a life saver...

http://www.cinchmax.com/db2/00156/cinchmax.com/_uimages/2004CINCHRelease.JPG
Old    dickster            07-19-2004, 8:45 AM Reply   
What it does....it is actually a velcro type deal that releases only when there is more than normal pull on the rope. It is easily adjustable for different size riders on different riding style. Believe me, all hard core hydrofoiler use this thing....it has saved many riders.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-19-2004, 10:20 AM Reply   
good idea but the only problem I see with that is the stretch factor... It cant be solid like a wakeboard rope, can it?
Old    dickster            07-19-2004, 10:39 AM Reply   
For sure it is. Believe me, hydrofoilers need less stretch than anyone. The bungee effect in foiling really effects a foiler.Major no no.

This thing rocks...ans anf serious foiler.
Every pro rider uses on along with all serious riders. Check out the Hydrofoiler section of this discussion site and you will see what I mean. Plus the price is way cheaper than a trick skiers release and this one is automatic...you just set it and forget it.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-19-2004, 10:40 AM Reply   
OUCH! hope for a speedy recovery
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-19-2004, 10:40 AM Reply   
thanx for all the kind words! I think i will check into one of those release thingies....i thought about seeing them on here when we were heading into the dock/doc. i dont know how some of you guys could have been back at it the next weekend....i cant even see my knuckles...and they weren'y even near the injured area! I'm seeing an ortho later today but i dont think i messed up anything like that.....full mobility i think....just a bit painful to be moving it around too much.

i'll keep y'all posted!
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-19-2004, 10:27 PM Reply   
Levi, I was on the water a couple of days later but just stretching and cooling off. I did mine doing a 360 off the DU and when I fell the handle went up my arm. Stopping the boat with your body does not work as you have experienced. I went back to work pretty much immediately but with limited capacity. After a few days you will find that stretching it hurts but also makes it feel better. I always push hard to get back my mobility and so far it seems to have paid off, with all kinds of different injuries.

Heal fast my friend...