Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    slalomskifreak            05-06-2004, 9:13 AM Reply   
Wasn't sure if something like this has made it onto the discussion boards yet, but on the private lake I keep my boat on, one of our new rules is "Prohibited Watercraft: Watercraft designed to create large wakes, or watercraft that have been modified to create a large wake."Has anyone run into this type of problem yet? Our lake has an elected Board of Directors that meet once a week. I wasn't under the impression that they could just change rules without notifying the residents first and possibly putting it to a vote. I spoke to my area rep. and he said that it was pushed through by the lakes Ecology group in order to prevent future shore erosion, but that the rule would not be able to be enforced. Not sure why they even put it in the rule book. I know that because I have a FlyHigh Pole I will be the target of the lake patrol. I believe that a valid argument would be that I can load my boat anyway that I see fit (sacs or people) as long as I am maintaining the Coast Guard approved weight limits. Any thoughts or ideas???
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-06-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
Curt man, thats sucks!! Good luck with everything but you should have a pretty strong case! I know on my lake changing or adding laws has to be voted on bye the lake!
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-06-2004, 10:05 AM Reply   
My buddy lives on a lake where jet-skis are prohibited. Which is fine by us, but shows they can do pretty much whatever they want.
Old     (w4k3b04rd3r19)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-06-2004, 10:28 AM Reply   
Hasn't happened so much on private lakes but it has happen up in the norcal lakes. They set bans on some of the lakes with personal watercrafts but not wakeboard boats. They did this becuase it caused alot of accidents, but they shouldn't put a ban on certian boats that cause to much wake becuase they have noway to measure what boats put up to much wake or not
Old    slalomskifreak            05-06-2004, 10:42 AM Reply   
The lake has a 19ft length restriction. Which limits the types of boats you can even buy. I was thinking of upgrading to an X7, but am afraid that they won't allow it even though it is a ski boat first, wakeboard second. I will have to ask them. I also can't see the difference between a wakeboard wake and a 19ft Rinker running next to the no wake buoys at 10 or 15mph. I am primarly interested in if anyone has attempted to take on (legal or otherwise) the committee's that make these types of rules and the outcome. Thanks for the input.
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       05-06-2004, 10:50 AM Reply   
The lake community that we live in has a 20'9" length max, as well as a 2900lb weight max. They also have a rule on no artificial wake enhancement.
Old    tutman            05-06-2004, 1:44 PM Reply   
I say just go for it but don't announce to the others on the lake that you are using lake enhancing products. And if they do catch you, just tell them your floor boards keep flying out and you need something on them to keep them down.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-06-2004, 2:02 PM Reply   
email the spring valley wakeboard club, they have just gone through exactly what you are. They will be a big help I am sure! I dont have the link off hand, but do a search. HTH! robyn
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-06-2004, 9:53 PM Reply   
How about explaining the one really windy day will put out more "large wakes" against the shore than you could do all summer.
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-06-2004, 11:04 PM Reply   
move to a lake that does not discriminate
Old    wakesideup            05-07-2004, 6:56 AM Reply   
I would go out of your way about being extra considerate and encourage other wakers to do the same by staying as far away from fishing boats and docks and keep a handle on the dB. If your boat is 'making waves' or you are sending out sneers instead of smiles you are much more likely to find trouble. Bottom line the family and fishing boat owners are probably going to have more boats and votes on the board than the towboats so I would try to keep the peace with them.
Old    mtb1981            05-07-2004, 1:27 PM Reply   
I may be missing the point, but wouldnt erosion make a LARGER lake for everybody? I say you get a tanker in there to pull you around.
Old    slalomskifreak            05-08-2004, 3:34 PM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am just going to chance it and see what happens. I should be legal. I think the idea of banning things without putting it to a whole community vote is what bothers me the most.
Old     (oulaxster25)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-09-2004, 11:38 AM Reply   
I know on the lake that I ride, the lake association has to get 75% of the all the house to pass a new rule. They just voted down a slalom course, which is good. They use to have a ban on jet skies, but that was lifted.
I don't see how they can regulate weight if you follow coadt gaurd rules on wieght in the boat.
Old     (wakeboarder123)      Join Date: May 2004       05-09-2004, 12:14 PM Reply   
v xctfgh ghnb
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       05-10-2004, 8:00 PM Reply   
Mark,
Not only are you the man because you have a good name, but I couldn't agree more! I also like to see some familiar names here! Hey Dale, what is up, when you coming over to ride? Finally, smiles rather than frouns. I moved to a lake and I'm surrounded by older folks. At first I was like a plague, but now, I'm the dude that picks up everyone's kids and teaches them to ride. Hey, stopping by a fisherman and sayin, "hey, my friend is here from out of town and doesn't get to get on the water much, since this is the only calm shoreline, do you mind if we cruise through for a while?", followed by a, "Thanks man, sorry for the waves, hope you catch a few fish!" That always works too!

Curt, just load it up, tell everyone its normal, cover up lead with life jackets! hide it all, where there's a will, there's a way!
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-11-2004, 6:28 AM Reply   
If they do, just replace the skinny chicks with 7 or 8 big dudes to make weight.
Old    slalomskifreak            05-11-2004, 8:03 AM Reply   
I had a pretty crazy idea! I am going to get 3 women blow up dolls and fill them up with water and put them in the back seat. Should get a laugh at least.
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-11-2004, 11:03 AM Reply   
That would make you feel like a pro. Throw down a trick look at the boat and see 4 chicks with their mouths wide open.
Old    awlang            05-11-2004, 11:21 AM Reply   
A wake restriction is crazy! But, I can top that. My lake has a rule that your are only allowed to drive your boat counter-clockwise around the lake. That is the dumbest thing ever!! You are allowed to go anyway you want in the middle of the lake, but who is to say where the edge of the middle and the side start. Get this...if I want to go fill my boat with gas, I pull up to a marina that is 100 yards to the one side of my house. In order to do that, I would normally turn left leaving the dock and just idle down the edge to the marina. Now, I have to pull out in the "middle of the lake" and I am supposed to only drive in 90 degree angles to get to the gas dock. Also, if you are pulling a skier going the correct direction around the lake, and he/she falls, you have to race back to get them since you have ever other boat on the lake right behind you!! I hate the PA Fish and Boat Commission.