Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-26-2009, 7:23 PM Reply   
Does anyone out here have a MT2 tower and a Bimini top? If so, how well do they work together.

Monster Tower sells Bimini tops for the MT1 tower but the legs on the MT2 tower sweep inward making a much smaller width overhead then at the gunwales. So, they don't guarantee them to fit with the MT2.

I have searched E-bay and found some Bimini Tops that attach directly to the wakeboard tower and they would probably work but they are pricey.

I was hoping I could use a regular Bimini but I think I would have to order something narrower then what the boat would normally use then maybe make some mods??
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-27-2009, 6:06 AM Reply   
They are all pretty pricey. I am trying to modify an old factory bimini. It's not a super huge one, so it BARELY fits on my MT1. I'm sure people have been having this problem for years...

I think towerbiminis.com is a popular vendor. Also check http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Bimini_Top they have lots of older items maybe you can find a smaller bimini there.

(Message edited by WakeMikey on February 27, 2009)
Old     (spearing)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-11-2009, 11:02 AM Reply   
FJK - i bought a monster tower and mounted it above very simple, i bought and over sized bimini cut the tube legs moved the mounts drilled the tower mounted bracket and hook for straps, bam clean and clear fit.Upload
Old     (mallenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-11-2009, 1:32 PM Reply   
Jim, that looks nice. What brand bimini is it? Thanks,
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-11-2009, 9:02 PM Reply   
Wow that's really different and nice! I like that you eliminated the legs and made it go ontop the tower, but it still uses the upper supports and the bimini mounts attach to the upper legs of the tower! Nice job! Can you collapse the tower easily? How about attaching the rope? Ontop or underneith the bimini?
Old     (coz)      Join Date: May 2008       03-12-2009, 7:43 AM Reply   
You can do what I did and use my existing bimini top and fabricate it to fit, it's easy. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25912
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-13-2009, 3:24 PM Reply   
Dang Jim that is a great install. I had trouble trying to find a bimini that would fit well. Even had tower biminis make one for me that didn't fit well. I ended up using the factory bimini for my boat (97 Sport Nautique) and then cutting the poles and modifying it till it fit in between the tower poles nicely. The thing I like most about it is those older biminis for ski boats are HUGE and it really provides alot of shade. I wasn't able to make it collapseable with out taking it completely off the boat however, but since I live in south Texas it pretty much stays up the whole day.
Old    sealyon.net            03-13-2009, 6:02 PM Reply   
We have had to modify a lot of biminis to work with the Monster towers like cutting holes in them and adding zippers etc. Most of our customers didn't want to go over the top like Jim, But I think it looks like a good clean job.
The only down fall to over the top is the taller the top the less shade you get.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-14-2009, 7:44 AM Reply   
Jim that is nice and pretty ingenious. I never thought of moving it on top.

I think I would like to keep my underneath though just to get more shade and it looks like it would be easier to fold the tower down.

I was thinking of doing more along the lines of Coz and Kerby, of modifying a tower and make it narrower to fit in between the tower tubes. If I could figure out a way to do that hopefully I could even pull the sides of the bimini lower to help create even more shade