Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old    abadsvt            06-22-2006, 2:57 PM Reply   
Hello all in another post i asked some questions about a crow boat but your advice recommended me to stay away. Thanks!!! Anyways i found a 1995 tige tournament ski boat. It has a monster tower on it and it comes with a tandem trailer, 600 fat sack, 2 intertubes. He want $16500. Is that a good deal. I was curious about the wake. Since it is a ski boat will i have a good wake? Is there anything i should know about these boat? Do they have good resale value? Thanks for you help.

Josh
Old     (dcdman67)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-22-2006, 3:11 PM Reply   
these boats sit really low in the water and really dont produce a big wake. you have to load it up with weight and then you have to be careful about taking on water. if you are going to use it as a ski boat it would be great otherwise I would consider a different boat.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-22-2006, 5:05 PM Reply   
plus, Tige was still using wood in its construction then... I would avoid it. I think the price is way too high - Tige has one of the lower resale values, and you can find a comparable Mastercraft for the same price. Look for a Mastercraft 205... has one of the best direct-drive wakeboard wakes around. In fact, check THIS ONE OUT!

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/1/6/84618016.htm

I would be looking at 2 manufacturers if I were you: Nautique and Mastercraft. Both extremely well-built, durable boats that will have no problem standing the test of time. High resale, proven hulls, great build quality.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-23-2006, 7:28 AM Reply   
Debo & Anodyne, don't take this wrong, but you are wrong. They have very nice wakes, and Tige is still using wood in their stringers. It has a lifetime warranty. If it EVER rots, they replace the boat. If you happen to be the original owner, they also give you $10K. I have an '03, and it is awesome. It doesn't take much weight, because it is already 500-800# more than other DD boats of the same size. My friends like my boat rather than their Bu's, because it has a better wake.

Does the Tige sit low? Yes, but I have only taken water over the front, when I put 500# up there. It is great with about 300#, but then we had more people show up, and they needed to go up font.

Josh, go to tigeowners.com, and see what they say. They may be a little biased, but not any more than the people on this site. Just other opinions.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-23-2006, 7:46 AM Reply   
Tige stopped using wood stringers in either 04 or 05. He's not going to be the orginal owner so the lifetime warranty wont apply.

The boat is way over priced.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-23-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
Had that same boat. Sold it after one year. REALLY low in the water. I am talkin really really low. Caught rollers over the front on a daily basis. Over the back and sides as well if the water got good rollers on it. And that was with no weight added. Stay away, you will not be happy with it. You will spend all day looking at the water to see if there are wakes comming at you. Robb has an 03 which is an entirely differant animal.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-23-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
Robb...

Tige has stepped up here in the past few years, but their rep wasn't as sterling around '95. Wouldn't you prefer to go for a manufacturer with an excellent track record and decades of experience if you were looking at a boat 10+ years old?? In addition, Your 20i has a much higher freeboard than the good ol' 95 bowrider - those old Tiges sat low in the water AND had the super-hooked bow.

as far as wakeboarding capability goes: I know that Tiges do throw good wakes, but they are definitely a type... The reason I recommended the 205 to Josh is it is an extremely user-friendly wake, has an excellent reputation, and will be a good investment. (no ownership goggles:I have a Centurion!)

I'm just trying to inform josh to help him get the most out of his dollar, and be extremely happy with his purchase as well.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-23-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
Forget the maker, the price is horrible for what your after. Keep hunting. Tiges are good boats, but you need the right model if your wanting to WB. And that's why we're here........
To many stories without all the story.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-23-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
I wouldn't be worried about the wood in a Tige. I thought that they haven't had any claims against the wood. And aren't Sangers still made with wood and no one seems to care. Absolutely no wood in a Tige from '04 on. And that '95 as you stated is a "tournament ski boat". You would be happier with another boat for wakeboarding.
Old     (swingline)      Join Date: May 2002       06-23-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
Anodyne,

You are right about the low profile and the water over the front. It is hard to get a wake out of that hull. You are wrong though about resale and the wood issue. First off, Tige had help one of the highest resale values of all inboards. You have to figure that, that boat sold in that year for just over $20,000. This value can be researched through NADA values. You will find that when you compare every boat on the market Tige will hold some of the highest values. As for the wood. The wood is XL Panel. This is a water-proof compression treated wood that is one of the stongest materials to build a floor and stringer system out of. They build ofshore piers out of the material, and this wood is constantly in the water. But I would agree that to build a good wake, there are better hulls out there.
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-23-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
Honestly if you are looking for a good wake boat in this price range (I believe you said max is $19,000 on the other post) you would be extremely happy with that Mastercraft in the link Anodyne posted. My buddy has a boat from about that same year and with only one sac and a few friends we get a decent wake, big enough that it doesn't hurt our riding AT ALL. So I would reccomend looking into that MC, good bang for your buck.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-23-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
Anodyne, I appologize. I didn't realize they had changed that much. I figured they made it a few inches higher, but not a significant change. So you are saying that boat is similar to a new Centurian Bowrider? Those are very low.
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-23-2006, 2:08 PM Reply   
hereUpload
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-23-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
compareUpload
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-23-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
That MC in the link has the same hull as the old xstar, x2and now x1. Can't go wrong with it(unless you need more room).
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-23-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
itch, that Mastercraft is a 195... The 205 has a taller freeboard (AND an open bow... BONUS!!. haha)

Don't worry about it Robb-
every manufacturer has changed tons over the past 10 years, they have just all changed in different ways... I mean, the older MCs even sat LOOOOW in the water as well - the 205 rides higher though (and without a drop-nose)
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-24-2006, 7:11 AM Reply   
Sorry here is the boat to compareUpload