Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-08-2004, 12:54 PM Reply   
anyone have info on these 2 housings? i'm looking to get one for my cam (sony dcr-trv8) but wanted to see which of the 2 is better. i'm not looking to spend a lot of money (i'm cheap), but i don't want to spend money on something that's going to suck.

thanks for the info.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-09-2004, 12:06 PM Reply   
I'm sure you've already seen this, but just incase: http://www.dpcfilms.com/howto/UnderwaterHousings/index.asp - Check out the links at the bottom of that page for online retailers.

If you plan on keeping your Sony for a while I would recommend the Sony housings. They offer you the best control of the camera while keeping the cost reasonable. The only caveat is that you cannot use a wide angle lens, there just isn't enough room… Here's a link to whole list of them: http://store.aikotradingstore.com/sony1.html

The next cost efficient choice is the epic housing which will be more universal, but you'll have less control of your camera. So it's a trade off.

I personally have the Sony SPK-PC4 (which I used in http://www.dpcfilms.com/wake/videos/JustinButinsky.asp) and it's also the same housing used for the ride-along shots in delta sessions.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-09-2004, 12:46 PM Reply   
once again, kung fu pulls thru! thanks a ton kung fu. i don't care who called you an "apprentice"...you're the true master!

thanks man!

holy shizz that was a sick video! is that guy from the delta?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-09-2004, 2:28 PM Reply   
LoL... Thanks!

That's Justin Butinsky who hails from sunny Florida. J-Rod invited him out earlier in the season to go ride at the Delta and I meet up with them to capture the action.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-18-2004, 5:47 PM Reply   
my setup's complete! kind of a beginner setup, but what the hell...i'm stoked!

sony dcr-trv8
sony spk-dvf5 underwater video housing
4hr battery
wide angle lens

i put everything together, and it looks like i can use the cam w/ the wide angle lens inside the housing! the word was that i wouldn't be able to use a wide angle lens in the sony housing, so i'm stoked that everything fits!
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-18-2004, 8:12 PM Reply   
Awesome! Good to hear that there's enough room in the spk-dvf5 to fit a wide angle. In my SPK-PC4 there is less than 1/8" clearance, so no dice with my setup...

What wide angle are you using?

what... no pics?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-18-2004, 8:19 PM Reply   
it's the sony vcl-0637h wide angle lens. it doesn't exactly fit. when you slide the cam in (w/o the wide angle), it kind of snaps in. with the lens, it's just short of snapping in...by millimeters, i'd say.

i would have taken pics if i had a digital cam. i'm going up to seattle next week to be with the fam for christmas. i'll take pics then.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-27-2004, 12:09 AM Reply   
kung fu, here are pics of the housing w/ the cam inside and the wide-angle lens attached. i used it on friday and everything works great! i'm stoked that the cam fits in the housing w/ the wide-angle lens!

Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-28-2004, 9:23 PM Reply   
so when do we get to see the video?

Looks like that housing will work really well for you. Since the wide angle lens fits it's a better solution than the Epic Cam since it's smaller and lighter than the Epic.

I've found that it's nice to have a squeegee to keep the water off of the lens when shooting from a tube. Some other guys I talked to use a can of compressed air instead, but either way you need something to keep the drops off.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-29-2004, 1:21 AM Reply   
yeah, i need to get a handful of squeegees and apply some rain-x, as well. where can i get those tiny squeegees?

no vid yet...too damn cold to sit and film in a tube!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-29-2004, 2:03 PM Reply   
damn right you smell pussy...i be a warm and dry pussy for now though. you can take your brave ass out in the tube w/ my cam and film your ass off if you want, tho.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-29-2004, 3:03 PM Reply   
nice! You got a nice combo considering that you can use a wide angle with the housing! Do you get any vignetting when fully zoomed out?

Speaking of Pu$... Don't forget that you can use your housing in the hot tub... That should make for some good footage.
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-30-2004, 9:06 AM Reply   
Joe-
You can pick up small squeegees at a snowboard shop. People use them for goggles all the time.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-30-2004, 2:00 PM Reply   
Joe, I'm sorry i have to show you up in your own thread but....

BTW Yes that is an ice bag.

In all it's glory.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-30-2004, 2:07 PM Reply   
Ghetto-fabulous! Now that takes some balls!!! One bad bump and your camera is sinking straight to the bottom...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-30-2004, 3:42 PM Reply   
damn jeremy! you seriously got more balls than i do! i considered a ziploc bag, but was too chicken****!
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-30-2004, 8:42 PM Reply   
It's not balls, it's brains....and it's not more, it's less!

Old                12-30-2004, 11:48 PM Reply   
best housing is a plastic see through seelable sugar jar... use your remote control in a zip lock to control it...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-31-2004, 12:12 AM Reply   
i'm happy with mine, so no need for a "seelable" sugar jar. and i don't even have to use the remote control. all the control i need is on the outside of the housing. (power, start/stop, zoom)
Old                12-31-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
i was just saying if your budget is about 10$, then that is the way to go