Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-22-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
So anyone have a link to a good blank to shape a grom board? I want the rocker to be close to what is ideal for wakesurfing. Looking for kids that weight from 70-120. I want a stringer. Any leads? There are lots of sites, but I get a little confused by them.
Old    Chaserwaser            04-22-2010, 1:54 PM Reply   
So given that its not 100% surfing in the ocean did you know its actually easier to learn on a longer board? To be honest you cant go wrong wtih any size board for the youngins, in fact a shorter board would probably be harder if they are just starting out because it is alot less forgiving and you need to know your controls of it 100% long boards just kind of flow with the wave and they wont have to worry about carving or anything... this is what I learned on and im 120lbs myself ... http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/mJhac It was really easy and fun... now I ride my friends surfer that is alot shorter and more of a "trick" style board and it is hard as hell to ride and just cruise. My friends is more like this style http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/HY_YtD6K

Last edited by Chaserwaser; 04-22-2010 at 1:56 PM.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-22-2010, 2:08 PM Reply   
The idea was to build a fun pro like board that is small and easily turned and perhaps even good for airs. Do some fun graphics that the kid likes, so it's his. All of my boards are very expensive and larger. He can already get up and surf, so the next step in my mind is to start ripping Also I thought it would be a fun build. I wasn't going to make it tiny just smaller then my comp1 or my ja mako.
Old    surfdad            04-22-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
Hey Duffy,

Sounds like a great project!

Marko has great EPS blanks. They have an online catalog - they make you jump through a bunch of hoops to gain access, but it's an extensive catalog. Each blank has dimensions in length, width and rocker is measure out a 1' (i think) increments. http://www.markofoamblanks.com/catalog/

Foam EZ carries a bunch of blanks, including Marko and each web page seems to have a copy of the catalog page, plus they have the catalogs for Marko and US Blanks online: http://www.foamez.com/page_2.html Foam EZ are great folks, but super pricey.

I've done something similar to what you want to do. I found that I needed to rough out the dimensions in my head - width will be imperative and may dictate that you go to a much larger blank than you want. Next will be the rockers - typically you'll have to "mow-in" the tail rocker after you get the nose rocker matched.

Hope that helped.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-22-2010, 3:12 PM Reply   
Hmmm, still too many choices
Old    surfdad            04-22-2010, 3:31 PM Reply   
Do you have an idea what you want as your final domensions of your board? Length, max width, width 1" up from tail, width 1' from nose, max thickness, nose "rocker" and tail "rocker". If you can list those, it'll be pretty easy to select a blank for you.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-22-2010, 3:41 PM Reply   
Nose rocker: 3"
Tail rocker: 1"

I want it shaped like a mini version of my ja mako. So fat tail and skinny nose.
Old    surfdad            04-22-2010, 3:47 PM Reply   
ok, so if it's 4'11" and 20" you can trim it down. Let me look.
Old    surfdad            04-22-2010, 3:55 PM Reply   
Marko - go past all the parabolics - I think it's the second blank, - huge fat ugly thing

6’6” HALIBUT
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
the 6'6' halibut will work, but the 6.1 pescado is better to attempt a mimic of a comp1 style, thresher or mako style board.... I can tell you exactly how much to cut off the nose and tail, to have the approximately 3" nose stinger rocker, and a more or less 1" tail stringer or center rocker..... however, grom boards designed for real surf are much different than wake riding.... much different forces at work.... Marko can cnc your blank to spec if you want, otherwise you will have to thin it out by hand or with a powerplaner.... if you are not pretty good at mowing foam, you can/will ruin it....... The CNCing is an added fee, not to mention shipping a single blank will run around the same cost as the blank (retail).....

If you really want to attempt this stuff, it would be best to work with an established shaper/glasser/sander.... going about it on your own or watching the various films out there will only get you so far...... anyone with a bit of artistic skill can make a piece of foam look like a board, but there is a lot more to the complex of compound curves that makes a surfboard functional art......
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-23-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
Yeah I have a powerplaner. I am actually building another board at the moment. I am just going to copy the rails, tails of my other board. Think of me as a tracer from a real artist I thought it would be fun and the little guy this is for could help. Right now he rides my ja mako, and it's way to big for him to progress on.
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-23-2010, 7:35 PM Reply   
Chaserwaser

I would have to disagree with you that a longer board is easier to learn on for a grom board. I taught my 6 yr old on a 5' board and here are a couple of my observations:
1) It is much harder for a little tyke to get up on a longer board. When the board is twice the size of a kid it is extremly difficult for them to pop up out of the hole cause it is too difficult to control. I was amazed at how easier my son popped out of the hole on a proper grom size board. This is especially true in rougher conditions.
2) With a 60 lbs kid on a adult board the board is essentially taking them for a ride. There is little to no speed control or turning ability. My son would lean back so far when speeding forward with no result until he would literally slip out. Same goes for gaining forward momentum. Again I was very excited to see my son able to control his speed on a grom size board....night and day.
Old     (lumpdog)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-24-2010, 2:59 AM Reply   
I agree with a big board "taking them for a ride". For us, the tell tale sign of too big a board is when you see the kid's heel lifting off the board (usually the front foot), from them desparately trying to get edge on the wave side of the board so they can carve.

There is simply no substitute for a properly sized board.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-24-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
Well said, since I already have to buy the future fins kit I might as well make a grom board
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-30-2010, 5:00 AM Reply   
Hey duff

down load a copy of aku shaper softwere to copy the shape.