Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (jager11)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-23-2010, 10:04 PM Reply   
Hi all,
I'm in desperate need of some help to choose my new board. I'm currently riding a Freemotion Revolver 142 which i purchased new in 1997 (thats right 13 years ago!!!) Its a bit of an antique now.
Here's the problem. I'm on a limited budget and boards are very expensive here in nz compared to US. I've found some clearance stock online in my price range... 08 Hyperlite Tribute 137, 08 LF Substance 138, 09 witness 136 or 09 watson 134.
We dont have cable parks here in nz, and i do all my riding behind a standard 18ft outboard powered sport boat, so dont have the luxury of a real big wake. Im 5ft8 and weigh 72kg (160lbs) and am looking to try inverted tricks. All these boards are between $300 - $400nz. Oh and i've just purchased a pair of 09 LF watson ct boots.
Any help with my dilemma would be much appreciated as i cannot try any of these boards before i buy.
Cheers.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-23-2010, 10:47 PM Reply   
The watson 134 i think is pushing it when it comes to being too small. the witness might be too. especially considering that you are coming from a 142 length.

the tribute is the only model you have selected that has a continuous rocker. If you feel you prefer a pop that will not send you in a steep arc, but more of a wider arc then this would be good choice.

the substance is an aggressive threestage rocker and will be more aggressive in the pop (not more necessarily, , just steeper/bucking-like). if this sounds more like your style than go for that.

rocker type is one of the most defining characteristics of any board.

are there larger sizes available?

(Message edited by wakerider111 on January 23, 2010)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-23-2010, 10:51 PM Reply   
i cant say what rocker type your freemotion has by my quick searches. my bet is it is a continuous.

if you lay it on the floor and rock it and it rocks fluidly (no bouncing or stoping abruptly) than it is continuous.
just to give you a reference if you don't know.
Old     (jager11)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-24-2010, 12:45 AM Reply   
Yeah my freemotion has a continuous rocker.
I'm looking at a shorter board now as board technology seems to have changed a lot over the years. my board although long is very narrow compared to modern boards, has a very big (2inch), short fin at each end, and dimples under the base for 'suction'. tried a friends cwb the other day, a 135 inferno i think which may be an '02 model? Anyways it looks more like a modern wakeboard, and was a lot more fun to ride than mine. Rotated much easier too.
Old     (jager11)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-24-2010, 12:48 AM Reply   
I would be particularly interested to hear from anyone who has ridden any of these boards to provide feedback if possible.
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-24-2010, 8:02 AM Reply   
Scott, I am 160 lbs and ride a 136 Witness, 138 Watson, and a 135 and 139 Lyman. They are all good boards.

They all ride slightly different and I am a novice so take my advice with a grain of salt.

The Watson gives the most buck or upwards pop, but is also the slowest. I feel most in control with the Watson and it is quite stable (riding with no fins), but have more variability in my pop.

The Witness is the fastest and the loosest of the boards (no fins). It does not buck or pop as hard as the Watson, but if I edge it correctly and use it a little more speed, it will launch me just as high or higher than the Watson. But, I really have to concentrate on my form.

I ride the 135 Lyman most of the time, with all fins in. It is tighter and tracks better than the Witness, but faster than the Watson. I am more consistent with my pop and land more tricks with the Lyman. The 135 is a bit small, but I can spin it and control it better than the 139.

We have a 141 Substance. Nobody rides it any more. It pops hard and lands hard. The Substance is closest to the Watson in shape.

Since you have a small wake, the Watson maybe ideal. But, the 134 is too small for you. Given the choices, I would go with the 136 Witness.

I hope that helps.
Old     (jager11)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-24-2010, 9:58 AM Reply   
Sweet, thanks for that vision. Just the kind of stuff i was looking for.

Has anyone any experience with the hyperlite tribute??
That was the board i was initially going to buy, for about $400, until someone told me of a website trader that sells brand new 08 substances for $300, and that they are really good bang for buck.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-24-2010, 2:49 PM Reply   
Hey Scott, where abouts do you ride? I've got a 134 Watson you can try if you like. I ride out West at Greenhithe usually, if you're in Auckland hit me up for a demo on my board it's an 07 but it's the same shape as the 09.

BTW, I'm 6'1 75 kg and the 134 works for me. I will go a size up on my next board probably but it's certainly not too small.

(Message edited by jtnz on January 24, 2010)
Old     (jager11)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-24-2010, 3:10 PM Reply   
Thanks for your generosity Jos, unfortunatly i live in Blenheim, looking at the tribute on trademe, but have just been told about wakepro, which is where all the other boards are.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-24-2010, 4:10 PM Reply   
I have the Witness and have ridden the watson and substance. I think the Witness is an amazing board. Fast, good pop and soft landings. The Watson is going to be slower but a little more of a bucky pop than the witness. I find the witness to be much more predictable. I also chose the Witness because I ride a lot of cable so take that into consideration, but it is a great boat board.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-24-2010, 6:21 PM Reply   
when is come to brands the choice is simple.

warranty.

hyperlite has a lifetime warranty (as long as you dont slide rails).

i dont know any other brand that has a life time warranty.

with board as costly as they are these days are...a free replacement from a de-lam or insert getting pulled out is invaluable.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-24-2010, 6:38 PM Reply   
No worries dude, good luck finding your board.
Old     (jager11)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-25-2010, 11:59 PM Reply   
Well the tribute is now out of the picture as it has been withdrawn by the seller.
I think i would go for the watson if i could get it in 138, so its now down to the witness ($350) and substance($300). I'm wanting a board that will help me the most for trying inverts off a relatively small wake. Wakepro also has the 09 shane 138 for $430. i'm not particularly fond of the graphics, but if it will serve my purpose more than the others, then i will settle for that.
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-26-2010, 5:26 PM Reply   
Lifetime?

http://www.hyperlite.com/warranty.phtml
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-26-2010, 7:07 PM Reply   
Limited lifetime warranty. Means you can warranty your board for the average lifetime of a board. All 2009 and previous boards will be around 5 years but I have made exceptions depending on the situation. In 2010 we had to move to a 2 year warranty policy because of a few different reasons. Hyperlite still has the best and most lienent warranty policy in the industry. We are constantly thinking of ways to make our products and policies better also. If you ever have a suggestion on how we can improve our warranty policy please feel free to email me at coreym@hosports.com. Thanks.

Corey M @ Hyperlite
(AKA - Hyperlite Warranty Manager)
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-27-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
I also love Hyp boards, but I have had the oppertunity to demo both over many years and LF has always won me over with IMHO better pop and lighter boards. I currently own 3 LF boards.

My old 2000 original Trip has some delam in the corners but I have never had to warranty anything from LF, and the boards kast 5+ years no problem.

Honestly I would only buy a board after riding it and about 10 others. You find 'the one' for you. You can tell after the first set or even jump.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-27-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
Ordering a LF Watson Hybrid today.