Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (old_chicago)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-06-2006, 8:40 AM Reply   
My neighbor will sell his to me for $11,000 with 150 hours on it. He has kept it in great shape but want to know if it is worth it. I am an excellent skier but novice wakeboarder. I am board with skiing and plan on devoting my time to boarding. This boat does not have a ballast system and the 1998's do not have a stern storage area for a fat sac. Will I be able to make a decent wake with this boat? Thanks in advance.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-06-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
If that's the model I'm thinking abtou the freeboard is very very low. the wakebaord wake is terrible. I remember having 4 people in one and thinking "we're going to sink"
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-06-2006, 9:16 AM Reply   
adam you are probably thinking about the boomerang

I had a friend with a kanga a long time ago. It was reasonable, and much better than the I/O that my family had.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-06-2006, 9:32 AM Reply   
I had a 98 Boomerang and it was a solid boat. I cant remember is the Kanga a closed bow ? For $11k you really cant go wrong. The Moomba back then had solid boats just no frills what so ever.
Old     (old_chicago)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-06-2006, 9:34 AM Reply   
it is a Kanga with a 310 HP Indmar and a new Holley 4 Barrel carb. If that helps define it.
Old     (old_chicago)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-06-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
KG,

Yes closed bow...does that make it better or worse?
Old     (old_chicago)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-06-2006, 9:39 AM Reply   
KG,

"back then solid boats" Have they gotten worse?

Tim,

Did you ski or wakeboard behind your friends Kanga?
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-06-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
a open bow will give you much more interior room but other then that I think its the same hull as the Outback. I had zero problems with my Moomba, very solid boat for the $$$.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-06-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
Well by my comment "back then" I was just stating that Moomba has really stepped up to the plate in the last couple of years. I think the Moombas of today are a better boat then back in 98 but that does not mean they were bad boats. They still had the same philosphy that they do today-a good boat for an entry level $$$.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-06-2006, 10:57 AM Reply   
Tim, your right.....I was thinking of the boomerang.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-06-2006, 2:37 PM Reply   
I had a 98 Outback/Mobius which is the open bow version of the Kanga. 11K would be a good deal with only 150 hours. These 2 boats share the same hull. It can put out a pretty good wake but you got to really sac it out. Storage is gonna be the biggest problem. If you dont need a big cooler in your boat I would remove the rear seat and replace it with one of these http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/wakeboard_boat_ballast_bags/fly_high_fat_seat_sac_w710e or if you need cooler room get 2 of these on each side of the motor.http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/wakeboard_boat_ballast_bags/fly_high_fat_sac_W707. I would also look at a tower from Moomba's current OEM http://www.xtremetowers.com/index.php?action=showContent&contentId=23
Old     (old_chicago)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-06-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   
Chris,

Is the 'real' seat easy to take in and out or if you take it out do you want it out for the season? Are the towers easy to install or do you need to take to the marina? Will any of them install them if they did not sell it? Thanks for the great advice I really appreciate it.

Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-06-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
The seat is just laying on the floor it comes right out. Towers are not that bad to install it just takes guts to start drilling big holes in your boat. Marina is a broad word. I would take it to a inboard dealer to get the best job done.