Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-25-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
Anyone else have issues with theirs? My truck's rear end makes funny clanking noises when going over a curb or driveway at an angle. Not loud but audible inside the cab. If I shake the rear end side to side I can hear it clanking.... it sounds like it is coming from the axle not the leaf springs or anything like that.

Do you think Chevy will warranty the rear end for the noise or only if it goes completely out? I have about 10K left on my warranty.
Old     (spenchey)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-25-2007, 6:45 PM Reply   
well its better than your tailgate coming off on your tundra when you put your atv in the back of it.

To answer your question, they might do it, go to your dealer and ask, or call them.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-25-2007, 7:00 PM Reply   
I warrantied the rear end on my 02 SS camaro for making noises(from drag radials) and they fixed it.
Old    dabigkahuna            11-25-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
Take it in for warranty, it's probably something really simple, like a loose spare tire, broken exhaust bracket, etc. I wouldn't jump to conclusions and call the rear-end "Weak" though...
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-25-2007, 9:02 PM Reply   
That is sounds like the c-clips on the leaf springs. it isn't a big deal but yea get it looked at
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-25-2007, 9:05 PM Reply   
Sorry i don't know how to edit but leaf packs could also be loose. mine went out at about 70K and i have the same boat you do. Same symptoms you descrbe. i have also blown a rear axel adn it is different, the clunking can be herd on shifts and acceleration. if that is the case then do not stand on it to test it, you will nuke the rear end. made that misteake. hope any of the rambling helped.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-25-2007, 10:43 PM Reply   
Probably normal, but a failure of the c-clip could be deadly...With the tire off the ground, how far can it be pulled in and out?

YES Chevy, Ford, and Dodge half ton rear axles are weak. If you want strength, buy a truck with a full floater behind it.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-26-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
Can you clarify what you mean by loose leaf packs? Where are the C-clips on leaf springs?

My 99 had some weird noises and sometimes a shuddering feeling, which I "fix" about every two years by cleaning and greasing the slip yoke.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-26-2007, 10:15 AM Reply   
Loose leaf packs meaning the many layers of leaves(sp?) have a pin/bolt in the center where they are clamped together. To check this you have to remove the axle from one side of the leaf springs and look for slop or space between the leaf springs. While you're in there the "c-clip" (not to be confused with the c-clip style axle retainer inside the differential which holds the axle in the housing) which is also commonly referred to as a u-bolt has a torque spec or replaced if there was slop they will grind down from the play and will have road crap on the threads making it near impossible to torque properly.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-26-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
I was thinking of the C-clip in the diff. Thanks.

Pretty sure my truck has this issue. So you're saying there would be slop between the pin and the holes in the leaf springs, or just between the leaves themselves? Can you do anything to repair it other than cleaning and tightening the U-bolts?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-26-2007, 1:11 PM Reply   
Make sure it's a problem before you get too worked up. If it's got the locking rear end it's normal to make some noise if you're making a tight turn and give it enough gas to spin the inside wheel. Mine used to make the same noise every time I turned out of the parking lot at work.

Also, what kind of vehicle are we talking about. If it's a Tahoe, then it doesn't have leaf packs. They've got coil springs in the rear. The pick-ups and burbans still have leaf springs.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-26-2007, 6:10 PM Reply   
It's a Silverado half ton... it's not the leaf springs, I ticketned everythign down and when I shake the rear end I can hear the clanking coming out the hubs on the wheels, which leads me to believe it is the C-clips in the axle.

I do have a 6 RCD lift with 33" tires, so I figure the dealer will probably tell me to get lost.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-26-2007, 6:50 PM Reply   
Have it looked at. A rear end will make some noise when shaking it side to side. Can you shoot some video so we can hear this noise?