Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old    moombarider132            01-17-2006, 3:51 PM Reply   
wake surf behind a diesel boat???? i was just wondering cuz i read about that steel boat that guy made with that diesel motor. do diesels put out the same exhaust as a gas motor???? i dont know anything about the subject so anyones thoughts would help i guess
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-17-2006, 5:26 PM Reply   
Much lower CO. My brother works on farm equipment. They don't pipe the exhaust outside or vent the building when the run tractor engines inside.

The problem is the market place doesn't demand diesel. High end wakeboard/wakesurf boats already cost too much to begin with. Go and add another $6,000 or more for a diesel engine package, probably won’t sell.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-17-2006, 5:52 PM Reply   
i for one, am a staunch proponent of the diesel wakeboats. all ["all" is relative] it would take to get people more excited is some initial fiscal losses by the mfgs so the diesel engine mfgs could begin to produce enough engines to allow the prices to fall. thus making them less of an upgrade. and you all know the rules of supply and demand...or at least you should.
Old     (schackdaddy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-17-2006, 5:52 PM Reply   
Very true ED. Kind of the same thing with the trucks. A ton more torque and HP but 6000 extra. Be nice to have a 600 HP, 570 pounds of torque Cummins tho.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-17-2006, 6:02 PM Reply   
Huh? Have you been to a boat show lately? I won't even mention the x80, but this 220 went quick

Yow
Old    moombarider132            01-17-2006, 6:05 PM Reply   
what are you talking about psyclone???????

i cofused
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-17-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
No, increased marine diesel sales volume won't appreciably drop diesel engine cost for the consumer. Gas engines cost less because they coat-tail on the huge automotive market. The automotive diesel engine market (consumer trucks) is tinny compared to the gas engine market. The best case scenario is something like $6,000 higher engine costs like Ben suggests,

Over the long haul a diesel is probably a better deal. The fuel efficiency is better, maintenance cost should be lower, and since the engine runs at about half the RPMs, it will last about twice as long.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-17-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
Wow $70K for a boat, that's what I'm talking about, that would just about payoff my mortgage. I bought an I/O in 1993 for $13K and change. Last year I made the jump to a v-drive. I think I have good income and live in a fairly low cost part of the country, and still the new boat (an 04 demo) was stretch for me.

I’ve said this before, these high end boats are for doctors, lawyers and Indian chiefs.
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-17-2006, 7:55 PM Reply   
Diesel engines produce less Carbon Monoxide (CO) than gasoline engines but substantially higher levels of sulfur oxides and particulate matter (soot). CO levels in diesel are generally not high enough to cause death; however, the sulfur oxides can make you ill (like sea sick). Also, the soot would blacken the back of your boat a LOT more than with a gasoline engine. If you should try a diesel surf boat, Fresh Air Exhaust would work on it as well.
Larry Mann
www.FreshAirExhaust.com
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-18-2006, 7:59 AM Reply   
Edward, I assume the 70 K is the MSRP.... The Boat Show price on that boat we will assume would be 10+ K lower....

Again, just assuming as I have not yet been to my dealer or this years boat show to see what the 220 is going for.... But I feel confident enough about that statement to make a post.