Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-04-2004, 7:27 PM Reply   
which camcorder would you guys suggest the sony vx2000/2100 or the canon xl1. All of the things being shot are action sports and i am looking into getting one of them,if you have good or bad experiences with them it would help
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-04-2004, 7:45 PM Reply   
For wakeboarding I like the Canon GL-2 because of the 20x optical zoom and the quality of the Canon glass. The XL-1s has some cool features and interchangeable lens is sweet but impractical and expensive.

The other cam that I'm considering right now is the Panasonic VXD100. It has some very cool features including 30p mode and CineGamma for a more film-like look.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-04-2004, 8:02 PM Reply   
actually i was just going to mention that camera - it's gotten good reviews and im looking at it myself. it also has interchangeable lenses.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-04-2004, 8:35 PM Reply   
I would hold off on the XL1s until NAB in april. Canon may announce a new model (XL2?)

Stack: Are you talking about the DVX100? because it doesn't have interchangable lenses.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-04-2004, 8:55 PM Reply   
that's bizarre. what's the wide angle lens they sell for it then?

check out the accessories list:

http://www.panasonic.com/PBDS/subcat/Products/cams_ccorders/acc/a_ag-dvx100.html
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-04-2004, 10:00 PM Reply   
Most likely just a screw-on wide angle lens, similar to what you can get for most camcorders - which work pretty well actually.

Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-05-2004, 12:44 AM Reply   
ya looks like it - there's also an anamorphic attachment. and i've read elsewhere that it's not an interchangeable lens.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-05-2004, 6:35 AM Reply   
I see what you're saying, when I hear interchangable lenses I think of the XL1 or like our digi SLR's which take different base lenses. You're talking about adaptors of which there is a pretty good selection available for the DVX. The DVX base lens is fairly wide to begin with so I'm probably only going to get a fisheye to compliment mine. Again I can't say enough about what a great cam the DVX is. that's the one to get!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-05-2004, 12:48 PM Reply   
you're right rich - that's what i think of too. didn't realize these were adapaters. i think i'd definitely need the wide angle as i want to shoot dramatic scenes as well as wakeboarding, so i'd need it for those 2-shots, etc.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-07-2004, 3:04 AM Reply   
I've used the Canon GL-2, Sony VX2000, and "own" a GL-1 and XL-1 (my dad technically owns them, but I have access to them whenever...). I honestly prefer the XL-1 because it is a larger camera with more weight on the lense side so it is easier to maintain a steady shot when shooting from a moving boat. The XL-1 is pretty expensive but when the XL-2 arrives you can assume that both the XL-1 and XL-1s will drop in price. Also you have the (rather expensive) option of using interchangable lenses. There are several lenses including an $800ish wide angle lense (not 100% sure on the price though) available, and I was able to use this lense when shooting footage at the Malibu Open. I'm almost done w/ the vid and it should be on this site hopefully in the next few weeks if you are curious about the optics or what not...

comments on the GL-1: great camera, but no manual audio controls. This really isn't a big deal but it bugs me after using the rest of the aformentioned cameras that DO have manual audio controls...

GL-2: got to use this when the GL-1 was in for service for ALL of last summer (thanks Fry's Electronics ). Manual audio controls have been added, the camera is a bit longer, and the color sensitivity is a bit different (cooler colors).

VX2000: If memory serves me correctly, the CCD's on this camera are larger than any of Canon's cameras (well the ones mentioned here), but the optics arent as great (again, I could be wrong, this is from an article I read awhile back). I don't know if there is any truth to this but the XL-1's standard glass is pretty much as large as the VX2000 itself. Nonetheless the VX2000 is a great camera and would be my second choice behind the XL-1 (though that may be because I'm more used to the XL-1). Also remember that this camera has been replaced with the VX2100 so it should be cheaper than the $3000 price tag it had when it was the latest and greatest.

so my opinion: go with the XL-1, then VX2000, then GL-2, then GL-1.
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-08-2004, 7:32 AM Reply   
thanks for the input
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-08-2004, 9:53 AM Reply   
Since we are talking about the XL1 I'll throw out the new Sony PD170 (since the price is comparable.)

From a purely wakeboarding stand point the low lux capabilities of the PD170 would not be a major selling point, but if you ever use your camera to video tape parties or scenes with low lighting then the Sony PD170 is a model to consider.

Here are some reviews at SimplyDV.com I think you might find useful;
Sony PD170
http://www.simplydv.com/Reviews/sony_dsr_pd170.html

Sony VX2100
http://www.simplydv.com/Reviews/sony_dcr_vx2100.html

Just for reference I own a Sony TRV900 and have used the GL2 a few times.