Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-15-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
I was first wondering what everyone is paying to have the snap-on cover put on there boat? The place in town quoted me $700 using sunbrella material. Is that ballpark?

Also I have never considered it before becuase I hate the idea of the snaps being visible all the time. What are your comments about that? Are people happy they have the cover? How well can you travel down the road? I have a 99 X-star and I hate to have the snaps there but it would be really niceto have a snap on cover. Especially for traveling with a cover on or leaving the front half on when it is cold. Any comments appreciated.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-15-2006, 2:49 PM Reply   
I had a 01 X-star with a snap on cover and hated it. It looked very nice but the snaps are a pain. They are hard to wax and polish around and unless your really cafeful over time all the snaps scratch your boat when putting back on. I had to replace the orig cover that came with the boat and paid $700 for the sunbrella replacement. I say go with a under the rubrail type traveling cover IMO. Also the snaps seem to always come loose and work their way out of the gel.

(Message edited by iagainsti on February 15, 2006)
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-15-2006, 4:51 PM Reply   
I got tired of hassling with full-size tie-on boat covers, so I ordered my current boat with snap-ons. I love 'em, and I'll definitely get them on my next boat, too. They are VERY easy to put on and take off, even in a one-man operation. Plus, you can keep the bow covered when not in use so you have a great windbreak. And they're smaller than a full cover, so they stow easily.

I didn't think I'd like the snaps on the deck, but now I don't even notice them. And, the snaps for the front part of the cockpit cover can be installed on the windshield frame. That's what Supra is doing now, and it really looks clean. Mine's a 2002, and I haven't had any trouble with the snaps coming loose, or scratches in the gelcoat, or with the material.

$700 sounds high to me for non-factory. A friend had 'em made and installed for about $350 a couple of years ago.

(Message edited by fogey on February 15, 2006)
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-15-2006, 6:08 PM Reply   
My first boat was not a snap-on cover, pain to put-on, no good for towing. Second boat has a snap-on and I will never have another boat without it.
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-15-2006, 6:36 PM Reply   
I had a snap on bow cover and toneu (sp?)cover in sunbrella material made for $850 CDN. It is kinda painfull seeing these snaps on a brand new boat but I think it is worth it. Also you can choose between screw in snaps or rivet, I have never had a problem with my rivets coming loose.
Old    monair            02-16-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
I've got a snap on cover, I wouldn't have any other kind. My dealer uses a local company that puts the snaps on the underside of the rub rail - completely out of sight but easy to reach for snapping the cover on. Sunbrella covers can stretch easily if water pools on the cover - be careful. Also, 750 seems kind of high...
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-16-2006, 1:08 PM Reply   
Does anyone else have snaps under the rub-rail??? Never seen that before, sounds smart-hidden better. Pictures anyone???
Old    monair            02-16-2006, 1:17 PM Reply   
http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=1399

I don't have any pictures of the snaps but if you click on the first picture in "The Ride" section you'll see a clean deck - you'll have to take my word that there are numerous snaps under the rub rail. It's THE best way of securing a cover imo.

Actually, you can kind of see a snap in the shadow near the rear of the boat - you gotta look real hard to see it...

(Message edited by monair on February 16, 2006)
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-16-2006, 2:06 PM Reply   
Love the snap on and will never have a boat without one.

Your price is about what I paid.... Here is pricing info. from where I have had both my boats done at.

http://sugarhouseawning.com/

(Message edited by deuce on February 16, 2006)