Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 09, 2007

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-01-2007, 7:42 AM Reply   
On my 95 super sport I'm installing a custom ballast with a reversible pump. My question is for the vent lines can I use check valves and T into the existing bilge pump line. By placing a check valve between the bilge and the vent line to keep it from coming back into the bilge.
Old     (shelstad)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-01-2007, 8:17 AM Reply   
yes, i think it works like that?
Here is a photo of a T/vent check valve that go into the PWT's systems.
I think it would work as it is the same concept.
what do yall think?
Upload
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       02-01-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
Christopher, I understand how the valve keeps bilge pump water from coming into the sac.

What keeps overflow water coming out of the sac from going to the bilge pump once it hits the T?

BTW, where did you get that check valve? thanks
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-01-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
Put a check valve on the bildge line as well do the water does not empty into the bildge pump
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-01-2007, 8:56 AM Reply   
The only thing I was think of doing different in putting a check valve on the bilge
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-01-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
I meant to say bilge TOO.
Old     (shelstad)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-01-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
The valves are here at Fly High but you could prob. find the parts pictured at a hardware store, and yeah you could just add another check valve to the bilge line...i think?
Old     (sixmilecrew)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-01-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
Blair, what size bags are you putting in the boat and where. I have a 98 SS and am planning on doing the same thing as you. I've also been trying to figure out how to plumb the ballast system. Keep me updated on how your works out and I will do the same.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-01-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
Just run a loop from the sac and the bilge so they go up then drop down into the T before exiting the boat, let gravity take care of the flow direction. Water doesn't flow uphill (not without pressure anyway). Pipe sizing may become an issue so you don't build pressure in your drain lines.
Old     (sixmilecrew)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-01-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
If you are using a reversible pump and connecting it into the bilge line, then where is your water going to be coming in? You cant be filling your bags with the bilge water in the boat and the bilge should discharge above the water line. You would have to tee off of the hose that goes to the bilge connection and have that with a check valve to a thru hull connection. lots of check valves and ball vavle shutoffs as backups.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-01-2007, 11:12 AM Reply   
Gary right now I have a lunch pad 680 I fill up by hand in the center ski locker. It works really good right there. I've played around with two 440's in the back but it just makes the wake to steep and best wake i've had is when I put one 440 in the nose to keep it down. So this year I'm keeping the 680 where it is and adding one those triangle bags under the front sun pad and plum both of those in to a pump. For the back i'm just going to add about 3 something in lead weight on the floor so i still can use my storage.
Old     (sixmilecrew)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-01-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
About the preassure building up, how would you use a vent line off of a sac, and have it vented, but still allow the bag to fill towards its max capacity? do you put preassure valves on the vent lines that only release at a certain preassure? or do you restrict the vent hose, ie. change it to a smaller diameter, if that even will do anything? help.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-01-2007, 11:18 AM Reply   
The pump will be pumped into the raw water intake. Thats were the water is coming in and out of the bags. The vent lines are so i don't pop a bag.

If i'm understanding your ? right.
Old     (sixmilecrew)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-01-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
ok, ya i understand why vents are needed, but think about it, if a vent is at the top of the bag, it wouldnt take to much preassure on the bag to shoot the water through the vent, giving you the impression that the bag is full, but it could really only be 3/4 full. They stretch, which is why when u take the cap off on it shoots water out allover your boat. So I'm just wondering how to use a vent line but make the bag fillup as much as possible. Also I was told by CC not to tee off the raw water intake, they said it was only something you should use if the motor is off. If anyone has experience with that working I would like to hear about it, because that would make my proposed system work alot easier.
Old     (shelstad)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-01-2007, 12:07 PM Reply   
you could use 1" hose and fittings for the Fill/Drain AND then use 3/4" fitting/hose for the overflow/vent.
This will get the water in quickly and once it is full the smaller dia. vent will cause some back pressure.

All in all if you position the sac with the vent on the top and twords the bow, you should not have issues filling your sacs 99.9%
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-01-2007, 9:25 PM Reply   
You should never put a check valve on your bilge line. Drill another hole, pussy.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-02-2007, 9:11 PM Reply   
LOL psyclone! I agree.

The bags will fill very full even with the same size hose on both the intake and the vent line. Believe it or not, it will take a lot of pressure in the bag to make it have enough pressure to rise the water level up and out the vent hose. The only time that is not true is when the bag is so big that the vent through hull is lower than the top of the bag.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-02-2007, 9:54 PM Reply   
Christopher-- where did you get those in line check valves? The only ones I have seen are those bid ass metal ones, and I need some of the ones like you have.
Old     (99sportster)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-02-2007, 11:51 PM Reply   
I found the Guzzler check valves at West Marine or Go2Marine.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/222495/0/0/guzzler/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0
http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=86248F
Old     (shelstad)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-05-2007, 8:31 AM Reply   
BADBRipp-That hyperlink should be good-e-nuff'