Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                05-04-2003, 7:49 AM Reply   
I want to learn an invert. Which one is the easiest to learn. I haven't had experience on a tramp.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-04-2003, 9:14 PM Reply   
Maybe a hs backroll or a tantrum. I started working on a tantrum first, but landed the backroll first.
Old                05-05-2003, 8:51 AM Reply   
i've never tried either of those. I did try a TS front roll and was about 80-90% successfull....Does that count? Just can't stick the landing. Have beat up my ribs bad in the crash:-( I wonder about beter rib protection?
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-10-2003, 10:43 PM Reply   
Yea, I was landing the 360 then i tried inverts, my first attempt was the tantrum, after landing that a bunch i tried and landed my first backroll today. I found that the backroll was alot easier than i thought it would be, it is alot easier on the body.
Old                05-11-2003, 1:23 AM Reply   
backroll is easiest
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-11-2003, 6:04 AM Reply   
Hi Terry, easiest trick is a relative phrase. Its just like saying "which board is best." The easiest trick for you depends on how you edge, and which edge is strongest. On heelside, if you tend to edge hard then flatten off, I think you would have more luck with a tantrum. You can do a backroll like that, but it is a little harder to rotate and land, and becomes more of a "mexican backroll" instead of the progressive backroll. If you start your edge slow and build up to a hard edge at the wake, then a backroll would be pretty simple. On toeside, I would say one of the easiest is probably the scarecrow if you can do consistent toeside 180s, or a frontroll if you can't. They both have a similar edge.
That should get you started, but remember, you should be comfortable on the board before you start working on inverts. You should be going wake to wake consistently and easily, probably have some 180s dialed and be able to ride switch enough to get back to regular.
Email me if you want tips on doing the invert, I'll be glad to help.
Later
Tiffanator
www.wakechicks.com
Old                05-11-2003, 5:58 PM Reply   
Thanks all for your comments!

Dan, I think I went with the frontroll first because the thought of sticking my head in the water due to underrotation scared me. I thought if I front roll, the worst I can do is land on my back or butt.

Tiffany, I never thought of it like that. I think both of my edges are good as long as I stay to a short cut (under 15'), if I get too much speed I probably ease off on the cut. I can consistantly do toe and heel 180's wake 2 wake. Switch wake to wake 180's some of the time. I think my biggest challange is not knowing what it feels like to flip.

While I was trying my toe front roll I noticed that I couldn't see.....that is, my eyes must have been closed or my brain didn't register what my eyes were seeing. After a few tries, I did start to see the water just before I hit it ......then got hurt. How important is the tramp in learning these tricks? I don't want to lose any more water time with injuries! What is the best way to protect my ribs? I was wearing 2 life jackets last year trying to protect the ribs. First a Neil Pryde Impact 5000 and over that a USCG jacket.

Thanks everyone for all your help!
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-12-2003, 5:30 AM Reply   
Hi Terry, sounds like you are on the right track with your progress. If you are more comfortable with a short, quick cut then I would suggest a backroll. When I am trying roll to reverts I usually only take a 6-7ft cut, just build speed quickly and hold it up the wake. Look over your lead shoulder and push your chest and hips toward the sky. You can spot your landing pretty early on a backroll, unlike the ts frontroll where you spot it almost as you land.
A trampoline will basically help you to know where you are in the air, it really doesn't mimic the water too much, because you don't have the pull of the rope factored in. It will, however, help you learn to spot landings and body position when you are in the air.
For hurt ribs, I hate to say it, but a good nylon jacket may be best. They nylon jackets are much stiffer than the neoprene ones and will offer more protection. They are also a bit more uncomfortable to wear, but if it keeps you riding, you may have to.
Later
Tiffanator
www.wakechicks.com
Old                05-13-2003, 1:49 AM Reply   
I would hafta say the hs frontflip by far they are piece of piss