Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       01-15-2012, 6:58 AM Reply   
I recently built a new house and had the garage built large enough to handle my boat, although I have to take the swim platform off each time. I am trying to come up with an easy way to do this, alone. They key is alone.

I have a 2010 SANTE 210. The platform seems to be slightly to bulky to remove myself. I have been looking into an electric winch with remote control. I am thinking that I could use a four point hook system to attach to the platform and use the remote control to raise the platform and one hand to steady it.

This accomplishes getting the platform up, but also getting it raised and out of the way.

My largest concern is if this will really work, will it be steady enough to 'balance' the platform and reliable enough to support it once raised.

If anyone has any other ideas, I am excited to hear them. Speed is my key as I use the boat after work sometimes and want to be able to back in, grab and go.

Thanks for any help!

Nate
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-15-2012, 7:33 AM Reply   
Sounds expensive and a lot of work with a possibility it won't even work...Just buy a set of the new 2012 brackets that allow you to fold the step down. It should be a easy swap. Im sure they are expensive, but i bet it would be cheaper and easier than your solution.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-15-2012, 8:31 AM Reply   
You would need the new style platform to retro fit with the new folding brackets. It's much lighter than the older style. I'm sure it could done but will be pricey.

Check this video out. Modified hydraulic lift to remove the platform on 2008 210. Doesn't look too expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LPDj...e_gdata_player
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       01-15-2012, 9:00 AM Reply   
I found an electric winch at harbor freight for $150, but don't want to install it into the ceiling if it won't work. possible waste of time and money....
Aaron, the lift idea is sweet! The only drawback is needing to store the platform vertically somewhere because of space issues.

Shooter - Upgrading to the new platform sounds perfect....pending price. If it's too much, I might just have coerce a neighbor with beer to help me. Hate to depend on anyone......
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-15-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
My 211 platform is huge and almost impossible to remove myself but I have found an easy solution. The taller sawhorses from home depot just barely slip under the platform when the boat is sitting level. With the sawhorses supporting the platform I can easily install or remove the platform myself. You might need to raise or lower the tongue jack to get the transom at the right height. Once off it's not too bad to handle by myself. If I did it frequently enough I would add a stainless steel or aluminum handle on the bottom so it would be easier to move around in the garage.

If speed is key you might also be able to get some brackets on the wall to hold the rear edge of the platform and use one sawhorse on the front edge. When it is off you can just fold it up against the wall, maybe have a safety cable or big quarter-turn to hold it in place.

Keep it simple my friend!

Last edited by mikeski; 01-15-2012 at 9:09 AM.
Old     (Kjkimball)      Join Date: Mar 2011       01-15-2012, 11:41 AM Reply   
OJ Props website shows some folding platform brackets. They list for MC, Supra, Moomba but may have something for your boat as well. There is a video on the following page link showing how they work. Fast to fold.

http://www.ojprops.com/products#accessories

Kevin
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-15-2012, 4:08 PM Reply   
Just a thought but I assume you never ride alone, correct?
Adjust your habits.
After riding have your boat mate help you with the platform and put it inside the boat on the deck. Leave it there and have your boat mates help re-install it at the ramp the next time you ride.
KISS
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       01-15-2012, 9:05 PM Reply   
Back when mercedes benzs had removable hardtops they had a mechanical wench strap system to lift it from your vehicle and suspend it in the garage. You may be able to find something like that from an online auto supply
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-16-2012, 7:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarond0083 View Post
You would need the new style platform to retro fit with the new folding brackets. It's much lighter than the older style. I'm sure it could done but will be pricey.

Check this video out. Modified hydraulic lift to remove the platform on 2008 210. Doesn't look too expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LPDj...e_gdata_player
I would use this lift method if it were me. Looks as simple as can be.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-16-2012, 8:51 AM Reply   
The only time I took my swim platform off, I did it myself ... and ... I dropped it (and chipped a corner). The problem is not so much that it is heavy but that, it is unwieldy. It is sort of like moving around a kitchen table while not separated into leaves. It helps tremendously to have another person help you, and they don't have to be too robust. My girlfriend helped me put my swim platform back on, and it wasn't any trouble at all.

You certainly do not need a power lift. I don't think you even need block-and-tackle style reeving system. I think I could devise a system with two fixed length ropes dangling from the garage ceiling, one for each side, with hooks tied to the ends. One rope would be a little longer than the other. I start the swim platform off on the side with the long rope, then hook it. Then I take the other side of the swim platform off completely, and hook it. Then I'd go back to other side, lift it completely off, and assist the platform in a controlled swing flat against the back wall.
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-16-2012, 9:42 AM Reply   
Install one of these on the ceiling directly over where the swim platform will be when you back your boat into the garage:

http://www.amazon.com/Racor-PHL-1R-H..._bxgy_hi_img_c

Lower the lift so it rests on top of the swim platform. Then attach the swim platform to the lift with some straps or hooks. Unhook the platform pins and raise the lift up to the ceiling using your hand drill. Then back the boat the rest of the way in.

Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       01-16-2012, 11:23 AM Reply   
Breat B is right on. This idea seams like the cheapest and simplest way, of course it would be better if it were powered but with this way all of the engineering / weight distribution has already been figured out for you.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       01-17-2012, 10:04 AM Reply   
I am a firm believer in making things as simple as possible. I would definitely look into the folding brackets!
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       02-13-2012, 1:30 PM Reply   
Kevin, thanks for your suggestion on OJ Props. They are currently designing folding brackets for the Nautique line, starting with the new models then working back. They might have a system ready for sale mid to end of summer for me. I was asked to call back in June or July.

Baitkiller - you are half way there. It would be great to have my crew help me instal/remove the platform, only they would need to do it at my house... I don't think it would be wise to trailer the boat to and from the ramp with the platform placed in the boat. Would work, but I have a 15 mile drive at 65mpc or so there and back.

Meantime, I might roll with that Racor rack. Seems like an easy place to stack the boards on as well. The garage has an interior height of 10 feet so I should have plenty of room.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-13-2012, 1:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride152 View Post
Kevin, thanks for your suggestion on OJ Props. They are currently designing folding brackets for the Nautique line, starting with the new models then working back. They might have a system ready for sale mid to end of summer for me. I was asked to call back in June or July.

Baitkiller - you are half way there. It would be great to have my crew help me instal/remove the platform, only they would need to do it at my house... I don't think it would be wise to trailer the boat to and from the ramp with the platform placed in the boat. Would work, but I have a 15 mile drive at 65mpc or so there and back.

Meantime, I might roll with that Racor rack. Seems like an easy place to stack the boards on as well. The garage has an interior height of 10 feet so I should have plenty of room.
Yup, just get it completely dialed. Have stops/chucks right where you stop backing so that the lift comes down in the exact spot every time. keep your boards and dry vests up there when not riding (they will be accessible when you're standing in the boat) and just get a strap set up in place for making it an easy process
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-13-2012, 3:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride152 View Post
Baitkiller - you are half way there. It would be great to have my crew help me instal/remove the platform, only they would need to do it at my house... I don't think it would be wise to trailer the boat to and from the ramp with the platform placed in the boat. Would work, but I have a 15 mile drive at 65mpc or so there and back. .
Put it in the back of your tow vehicle.