Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ess3489)      Join Date: May 2009       05-04-2011, 5:22 PM Reply   
own a skim style phase 5 board already, thinking of getting a surf style. i weight 185lbs and surfing behind an 22ft 05 supra with a pretty good size wave, i usually have about 2250 lbs of ballast total plus people.

-looking at the differences in shred stixx thrasher vs ja mako or if another board by them is better by them

-a walker board

-inland surfer......... not sure which one would be best for me.

any suggestions on which board of each of the following boards for my size and boat. thanks for the help
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       05-04-2011, 9:39 PM Reply   
a 4'7" Signature from The Walker Project. Could ride a 4'5" if your ability and wake is good.
Old     (ess3489)      Join Date: May 2009       05-05-2011, 8:14 AM Reply   
curious about the jamako from shred stixx, found a good deal on a used one. any input?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-05-2011, 9:34 AM Reply   
eric, the Ja Mako might be a bit big for you. The Thresher would be a better size for you from Shred Stixx.
And I agree with Dennis that the Walker Project 4'7" Signature would be a really good board for you.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-05-2011, 10:01 AM Reply   
I disagree. You are on the upper level of the Thresher. I bounce between 180 and 165 depending on how hard I am running-working out and the thresher always feels small and not a lot of drive. When I am smaller it is a better board though. You would be a good fit for a hazen or a ja mako. I bet shred stixx still has some from last year, contact them. I have a lot of buddies in the 185-195 range that rock on the ja mako.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-05-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
Look at the WakeLakes Boards. I am 180 and ride the 4.7 and do not have any problems at all. Great board for the money.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-05-2011, 2:41 PM Reply   
I think you'll be too heavy to really have all the fun out of the Thresher on a Supra wake. I would go with the Ja Mako. If you were behind a more surf orientated boat I would say go for it. I have a Thresher, weigh 160 and run 3400-3800 lbs of ballast on my Moomba XLV. Sure my wake is pretty damn big and good pocket but Supras and Moombas just aren't known for creating that long wake with lots of push that average guys, like yourself, can ride boards designed for "up to 160lbs" like the Thresher.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-05-2011, 3:09 PM Reply   
3800 pounds of ballast! That is nuts!
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-05-2011, 5:55 PM Reply   
i weigh 185. boat is a 04 sante with 2500lb surf weight. i ride a 4'2'' LF custom with no problem.

now for the high jack.... im looking for a board that would be good for jumping. should i be looking at longer board like 4'6''? i sometimes ride a koal 5'0'', but it is hard to cut. thoughts.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       05-05-2011, 9:33 PM Reply   
@ John James 4'5" Walker Signature if you can ride a 4'2" LF Custom
Old    JasonDJ            05-06-2011, 2:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennish View Post
@ John James 4'5" Walker Signature if you can ride a 4'2" LF Custom
Yeah, I second Dennis's recommendation. I am 185 lbs / 5'10 and just got The Walker Project JWSM 4'5 (James Walker Signature Model) and I found it just the right size for performance. I have only ridden it once but it had a nice feel to it (not too loose and not to stiff) and it was Fast compared to my older Shred Stixx and Triple X boards.
Old     (ess3489)      Join Date: May 2009       05-10-2011, 9:38 PM Reply   
so i bought the 4'11 ja mako by shred stixx and took it out today. its a completely different feel than my phase 5 and i love how it rides. however im used to the looseness of the phase 5 skim board. the shred stixx felt a little to grippy maybe just beacuse im not used to it. I loved the surf style ride but was wondering if i removed the back middle fin if it would loosen the board up a little. the ja mako board has 3 big fins, one in the back middle and two slightly bigger fins that are located one on each side.

will removing the back middle fin and leaving the two outer ones make a difference and how?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-10-2011, 9:55 PM Reply   
See if you can get a hazen elevation from last year, that board is sick. I love mine. got it for aroud 6 and change if i remember correctly.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-11-2011, 10:30 AM Reply   
Removing the center rear fin on the ja mako will loosen the board up a ton.
Old    JasonDJ            05-11-2011, 11:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ess3489 View Post
so i bought the 4'11 ja mako by shred stixx and took it out today. its a completely different feel than my phase 5 and i love how it rides. however im used to the looseness of the phase 5 skim board. the shred stixx felt a little to grippy maybe just beacuse im not used to it. I loved the surf style ride but was wondering if i removed the back middle fin if it would loosen the board up a little. the ja mako board has 3 big fins, one in the back middle and two slightly bigger fins that are located one on each side.

will removing the back middle fin and leaving the two outer ones make a difference and how?
Yes, removing the middle fin and riding it as a twin will help a ton to loosen it up. That is how I ride my older Chase Hazen Shred Stixx board (as a twin).
Old     (peettee79)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-12-2011, 3:30 AM Reply   
3800 pounds of ballast! That is nuts!

Not really_Im running nearly three metric ton in my X2,, the wave is pretty sweet, but she worx hard ! and drinks 98 like no-ones business.
Ive got 2010 Thresher, Jamako, Piranha, LE and Hazen Stixx, My Fav is the Thresher for Surf Style by a bee's diaphram over the hazen. Just get some slightly smaller fins to speed her up a touch, still plenty of grip when and where you need it. Go the Thresher.