Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-20-2007, 8:11 AM Reply   
I will be traveling to Playa Del Carmen in July and was curious if there are any places to get a pull nearby or if there are any decent surf spots within traveling distance. I've done some i-net research on the surfing and it sounds like some of the spots have some pretty aggressive locals who like to vandalize cars and such.

Any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-20-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
I don't know anything about the place but if you have common etiquette surfing, you really shouldn't have a problem anywhere. Just stay away from the good and crowded spots if you aren't that competent of a surfer.
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-20-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
I've been and I didn't see much for waves or see anybody that I would want pulling me around behind a boat. As far as common etiquette, it's Mexico, that doesn't really apply.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-20-2007, 8:24 AM Reply   
What's that supposed to mean?
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-20-2007, 8:28 AM Reply   
That means when I was in Playa Del Carmen I didn't see any waves you could surf and I didn't see anything that remotely resembled a ski boat or anyone that I would trust to pull me around behind one. As far as the common etiquette, if you've ever been to Mexico you will probably know what I mean. You are a tourist gringo to them, they don't care about surfer etiquette.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-20-2007, 8:31 AM Reply   
From what I've seen and from other friends travels through Mexico, I've experienced the exact opposite.

Must be different at that place.
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-20-2007, 8:33 AM Reply   
I stand corrected...

http://waterskicancun.com/index.html

45 minute taxi ride though and I have heard stories about lots of crocs in that lagoon.
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-20-2007, 8:56 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys. I might just bag the idea of riding or surfing and just make sure that I do plenty of 12 ounce curls. I also plan to do alot of snorkeling and maybe hit up Cozumel and Akumal.
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-20-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
There was a place either next door or just a few doors down from Senor Frog's in Playa Del Carmen that had buckets of 6 Modelos and a hugo plate of nachos for like $4usd. They were ready to kick us out. I dont rememeber the name but the bar stools hung from the ceiling.
Old     (johnson0505)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-20-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
Cozumel rocks just got back from there make sure you hit up cigar shop down from ron johns.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-20-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
I'll be in Playa this Saturday, if it isn't raining I'll be going wakeboarding/waterskiing with a fellow MC owner on Sunday
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-20-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
Check out Chen Rio on the back side of cozmel eat lobster and drink all day fro 30 bucks US looks bad but my wife and I ate there three different times no tourist it was killer also good surf just north of it on the windward side.

al
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-20-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
ive been in the royal porto real hotel in playa del carmen, last year this place is so calm that i dont think that a spider could surf in a wake down there btu fun place to be
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-20-2007, 11:28 AM Reply   
There are 2 swing bars in downtown, one smaller on the main strip & one around the corner called the Blue Parrot I believe. Downtown really jumps off on FRI & SAT nights, basically a more adult version of Cancun.

Downtown swing bar
Upload
Upload

Blue Parrot
Upload
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-20-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
Damn! I think thats it! I wanna say it was on a corner and open to the street on both sides.
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-22-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
The swing bar looks pretty cool. That's a new one on me.
Old    wakejjboard12            06-22-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
I agree with AL Chen Rio is sweet... also check out Coconuts just down the beach from Chen Rio. AMAAAAAZING view and awesome food.
Old     (spinnintowin)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-22-2007, 3:14 PM Reply   
Headed to Playa July 3rd- July 10th. Can't wait
Old     (mydoggus)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-25-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
Ikarus Kiteboarding in Playa has awesome instruction and great people.....Highly recommend!!
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-26-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
I was thinking of kiteboarding as something to do there. Is Ikarus Kiteboarding actually in Playa Del Carmen? If so, I'm all over it.