Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    lakeside5_10            05-28-2008, 4:47 AM Reply   
seem to be getting fisheyes in my top coats. and remedies.
Old    surfdad            05-28-2008, 5:26 AM Reply   
Welcome to the world of epoxy. Tell us your process for the hot/gloss coat - exactly step by step including the amount of epoxy you used and the temperature and time of day you applied the stuff.
Old    lakeside5_10            05-28-2008, 6:58 AM Reply   
well first ime was
5 oz epoxy
2.5 hard
2.5 cc f
maybe 4pm 85 f

2nd time last night

3 oz epoxy
1.5 hard
1cc f
6pm at 85 f

the first time i used a brush but did not like the hair falling out of the brush and last night i used a pink glassing roller. the circles are smaller than a dime in size , this sux.
Old    surfdad            05-28-2008, 7:53 AM Reply   
It sounds like a surface tension issue. I read a discussion from Greg Loehr describing that when you use too little of the epoxy it would separate like that - leaving the craters. Zits are typically a dirt issue.

Can you do a test panel? If so, try slopping it on heavier/thicker about twice what you tried above and see if that takes care of the issue.

Also, always gloss on falling temperatures and I like to make sure the surface is uber-clean.

Matt, do you concur?
Old    lakeside5_10            05-28-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
do a quick wipe with acetone ?
Old    surfdad            05-28-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
DNA, I never use acetone before epoxy application to avoid contamination, plus the combo of acetone and epoxy is shown to cause health issues...something about transporting it into the blood stream.
Old    lakeside5_10            05-28-2008, 9:07 AM Reply   
how about wurth clean-solve , yea acetone seems to melt the epoxy or get it sticky
Old    surfdad            05-28-2008, 9:22 AM Reply   
Sorry Mark, I've never heard of that product. As you're discovering epoxy isn't always that easy to work with on the gloss coat. Always seems tempermental to me. The surface needs to be expectionally clean and free of residual solvents...the only product I have ever used is Denatured Alky. I've read that Additive F is supposed to eliminate the DNA wipe down, but I've never had success without doing it.
Old    surfdad            05-28-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
Have you tried Polyester after your hotcoat? Ployester gloss'es up with no issues. That statement probably makes purists cringe, but to get a decent gloss I think it's an easy process. Make sure the board is sealed on your lam and hot/filler coat then use water white polyester for the gloss and save yourself the headache.
Old    lakeside5_10            05-28-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
i have no problem with the shine i get , i think i will use the denatured alky and no F , how hard do you think it will be to color sand with 1k to 2k wet/dry paper then polish it. i will sand down tonight and try again hoping that it will fill the voids that i left behind from not sanding it all out.
Old    surfdad            05-28-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
Honestly don't know Mark...only one way to find out! Report back as you grind away! :-)
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-28-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
Hi Mark,

Getting the showroom finish on epoxy is really really tough. Jeff is right -- the easiest way is to use a poly gloss finish on top of your sanded hotcoat.

I've sanded with a progression from 100, 220, 320, 400, 500, 800, 1000, 1200, then buff and polish, and it is acceptable, but still doesn't look like poly gloss. :-(

You probably know -- DO NOT use Acetone around epoxy -- if that combo touches your skin it sends the toxins straight into your bloodstream. For clean up I use a GoJo type cleaner.
Old    lakeside5_10            05-28-2008, 10:34 AM Reply   
WELL THEN , I will sand down as much as i can then coat again and not sand it , the top of the board will have alot of grip on it anyway. i was not going to put a gloss coat on top but it will show off the glitter better on the black back ground. the bottom will be sanded as always.
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l295/saltyoysters/?action=view&current=lakewakescom_08569.jpg
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-28-2008, 9:19 PM Reply   
Filter, filter and filter.

On my prototype I cleaned the heck out of the bottom of the board and got fisheyes.

On the top side a cleaned again, but this time I filtered through one of those anti static mop fabrics. They were what I had within reach. Much better.
Old    lakeside5_10            05-29-2008, 4:48 AM Reply   
ok , cleaned board with denatured alky before i sanded again then cleaned before top coat and only had about 7 fisheyes this time , i am happy about that . you say that you CANT get the gloss back on epoxy after you colorsand with 2k grit like on car paint??
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-29-2008, 3:53 PM Reply   
I sand 220, 320, wet 600, wet 1200, wet 2,000 then polish. The end result isn't as glossy as the original epoxy finish but pretty good.
Old    lakeside5_10            05-30-2008, 6:28 AM Reply   
thanks Show ,
not sure what i want to do ,
Old    lakeside5_10            05-30-2008, 6:29 AM Reply   
Upload
this is what the pad will look like after i cut it in
Old    lakeside5_10            05-30-2008, 6:32 AM Reply   
Upload

bottom art