Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-10-2007, 1:31 AM Reply   
So I finally got my ballast sytem installed in my 2000 xstar. I've used it several times, and I have to say it totally rocks. Fill times are ~4 1/2 minutes. I used several peoples install's on here as a reference, then I threw in a a bit of my own style.

Please excuse the quality of the pics, I still have some cleaning up to do after all the work

I added a new 1/1.5" intake with an emergancy seacock
Upload

From the seacock, I go into an RV Waste gate
Upload

From the gate, I go into my manifold, where 2 tsunami 1200's supply fill
Upload
The back bags are flyhigh 750's with quick releases. I also added 2 new drain holes for visual inspection of bag full/empty.
Upload

And here are my added switches. Notice anything? no switch to open and close the gate?!?
Upload
And here is why. Inside this box is a circut I desiged to completely automate the rv gate based on the settings of the fill switches. When you are filling, the gate opens, when you stop filling, the gate closes. Took me a bit to figure out, but I really didnt want that extra step of opening and closing the gate.
Upload
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-10-2007, 7:15 AM Reply   
Nice! Are you using a timer in the gate valve circuit? I wanted to do something like that with mine.

Your drain thru-hull looks kinda low. Can you get the sacks completely full?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-10-2007, 7:34 AM Reply   
thats cool. doesn't sound time related, i'm also curious about the "black box".

Nice system
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-10-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
ya, the circut uses a timer, and a bit of relay trickery to detect when all the pumps are not filling. empty doest come into play, only fill and not fill.

the thrugh hulls are a bit low, but they are the hightest they can be without begin above the rub rail. The bags fill ~90%. I figure I could always route the vent hose higher than the through hull if I wanted the bags 100% full.

But right now I have these, the factory locker sack plumbed and 1000lbs in lead. I really couldnt ask for a better wake.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-10-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
btw trace, the manifold should look familer to you :-) thanks for blazing the path.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-10-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
You're using the timer so you're not running the motor on the gate valve the whole time it's open, right? Would love to see the circuit sometime.

Yeah, I actually put my drain ports for the rear sacks way forward (under the rubrail, below the windshield) to avoid that issue. You're right that you can use a vented loop with the ports where they are.

What kind of hose is that?
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-10-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
exactly, I can adjust the time as well, in case the moter starts wearing out and needs more time to open/close.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-10-2007, 1:59 PM Reply   
Great idea. I don't know much about those valves. Could it also be operated by a single switch?
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-10-2007, 2:15 PM Reply   
nacho,

it comes with a momentary open/close switch. the typical mode of operation is tho hit the gate switch, then fill your ballast. When your done, stop filling the ballast, then close the gate.

I just didnt want that extra step, so I geeked out.