Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-11-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
I'm trying for a backroll, but for some reason I keep doing something weird. The people on the boat insist that it isn't a backroll, and I'm not sure what to think. What am I doing here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYSADkoGrNI
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-11-2007, 9:37 AM Reply   
backroll.

Just need more speed and alot more load on the line.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-11-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
IMO , less speed more load on the line and stand tall at the top of the wake more.
but yes it is a backroll
Old     (obrienride16)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-11-2007, 1:26 PM Reply   
about mid rotation you are letting the handle come up towards your head. keep the handle low and in tight and it will speed up your rotation. but also like kevin said you need more load on the line. line tension is what will help you bring this trick all the way around. think about leaning really hard awat from the boat as you are riding up the wake.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-11-2007, 3:16 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice. I'm six five, so getting enough air for inverts isn't all that easy. I've got one more day of riding ahead of me (tomorrow from 9-2) to land this thing until I can find some friends at college with a boat. Go figure, the Liquid Force Pro Team's houseboats are out in front of my house, and they had a double up competition back and forth in front of my dock. Watching them do the stuff that they do really makes me want to land this sucker bad. Missed out on Shawn Watson though, was freaking working...

(Message edited by wakeboardern1 on August 11, 2007)
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-13-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
Im 6'6" 210 and pop no problem. Just takes some speed and a good amount of line tension and timing. You have the rotation, your just not commited to it with speed and load.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-13-2007, 11:37 AM Reply   
No offense to Jason G, but speed is the last thing you need. Watch your video. You are cutting fairly hard starting off and you are in a croutched position. Your approach, in my opinion, is the problem.

Just drift in on this trick and stand tall (ie. don't bend at the waist and don't bend so much at the knees). Wait until right when your entering the trough of the wake, then cut really hard and look over your lead shoulder. Make sure to stand tall, this is very important. This technique will give you plenty of pop and distance to clear the wake.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-13-2007, 3:50 PM Reply   
None taken, but if you arent even making it to the other wake, the only solution is more gas. When you transfer forward momentum into vertical, you lose some forward motion. You gotta come in faster than you would on a wake 2 wake to offset the loss.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-13-2007, 5:05 PM Reply   
"but if you arent even making it to the other wake, the only solution is more gas"

I disagree. If you edge properly you will get the height and needed distance to clear the wake. I come in much slower than he does on his backrolls and never have a problem clearing the wake at 70 or 75'. Besides the slower speed helps you edge properly and the crashes don't hurt as bad. I come in much slower and from a shorter distance than I do on a normal wake-to-wake jump, it's all in the timing and the edge (load-and-release).
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-13-2007, 5:29 PM Reply   
Im not saying dont edge properly, Im saying there is no substitute for momentum. Sure, you can come in slow, mash on it and make it blowing it out the back, but who wants to do that? IMO its easier to bring the stank and hit it with reasonable load. Remember this is a tall guy, blowing it hard out the back isnt the easiest thing.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-13-2007, 8:20 PM Reply   
Hmmm. I think that I may have been starting the trick too early on this day. I wasn't really focused and the crashes didn't hurt too bad, until they changed the weight in the boat mid cut and made the wake too steep. Like, the first day that I was trying this I was going wake to wake, minus one that I nearly landed where I cased the wake. So I'm really confused as to what I was doing differently. But anyways, yeah, 6'5" 220, kinda a fatass here trying to do flips :-p My driver/guy with a wakeboard boat bugged out on me for the three days before college starts, so I'm SOL on wakeboarding until I find someone up there who wakeboards... Go figure... Just as soon as I find out what I was doing wrong he decides he doesn't want to ride with me anymore.
Old     (livigno)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-14-2007, 4:36 AM Reply   
Why not ask the Liquid Force guys? They will for sure know somebody who will be happy to take you out on his boat. As for the roll, you should stay with Skubz' advice. I know he's right, because I had and still kinda have the same problem. Believe me, the way this trick works best is the following: Cut out no more than 10 - 15 feet. Maybe make it a 12 feet. Keep the handle close to your lead hip during your cut and all the way through the trick. So take it easy, everything about this trick should feel mellow from the beginning of your cut to the landing. Do not cut hard from the beginning, but drift in slowly while gradually building your edge. Your line tension should peak as you hit the wake. Make sure to stand very tall from the very top of the wake - then start your rotation. Avoid leaving early and starting to rotate too early. This is the whole trick to the backroll. If you time this right, your pop should feel like getting shot up by a catapult - even without edging really hard. If your landings are hard and bouncy, you're doing something wrong. The whole trick should feel smooth as silk. You will be surprised ;)
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-14-2007, 10:06 PM Reply   
Ah, problem, the LF guys left sunday, partied with em saturday night, boat battery died, paddled the greatest wakeboard boat ever (1992 Hurricane Fun Deck Deckboat) half a mile back to my house at 2 in the morning...

If the people on this lake with the wakeboard boats weren't such pricks who just hop over the wake and think they're great, I'd ask em for a ride and offer gas, but they're mostly go figure.

And now that I thinka bout it, I think you and skubz are right oliver. The first day that I was almost landing these things, i don't think that I was cutting as far out. I think I was actually using shorter cuts. i don't know, I wasn't focused that day, I hadn't eaten or drank anything, and I think it was messing with my concentration on riding.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I got some more from one of my friends who's probably going to go pro soon, already sponsored by CWB when he was fifteen... And he said that I was dipping my shoulder down early, which was also slowing my rotation and messing with my pop.

Also, I'm not trying to brag about all these people, like the liquid force pros and my friend, its just somehow my lake got to be really huge on wakeboarding. Its glass on the weekdays and the only people out are wakeboarders, so its like, everyone and their grandma wakeboards out here, and I really want to be one of the better ones here, but without a boat it's tough...

But yeah, thanks...