Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-30-2012, 6:04 PM Reply   
The Mrs and I are house shopping on lake wylie sc. we have a budget of 500 to 550k. I am really looking for those who live on a lake and feel the additional cost is worth it. We can live 300 ft from a launch, but have been frustrated in how much home we get with a lake view, but how much home we give up to have our own dock in front of a home. We have a new enzo 244 and keep our boats spotless. We have never had the option to live on the water until now. I really would like some pro's and con's and if it will be really worth the investment.

We have found homes in the 600's that we love, but its redic to buy a hugh house just for the 2 of us. We have also been looking to build. Thanks for the help
Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       12-30-2012, 6:13 PM Reply   
I've lived on the water for about 2 years now.

Definitely worth it if you like boating. It's like your on vacation all the time. here are the pros and cons to me:

Pros:
You're on vacation all the time
During the summer there is always something to do.
You end up doing water sports so much more often, because you can get a 10 min set in randomly here and there.
The view is great.
Did I mention it's like your on vacation all the time?
House holds is value in bad times better, because it's a limited resource (only so many lakes houses).
Water your grass for essentially free!

Cons:
Random people always want to come over
Property tax is usually high
The house you get for the money is less.
You usually end up having to maintain a bunch of extra stuff (Boat lift, other boats, sea wall,.docks, etc)
Winter sucks (unless you like ice fishing)
You don't really ever want to go on vacation

If you love water sports and lake life, it's the best.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-30-2012, 6:16 PM Reply   
We have a lake cabin and always have. I couldn't imagine how much less we would use the boat if we had to trailer it all the time. I can almost guarantee you that your boat will get more use sitting on a lift than on a trailer in the garage. If you have time for just a set or 2 you don't have time to get it out, hook up, trailer to the lake, launch, ride, put back on the trailer, drive home, put it away, etc. If it's sitting on a lift you do. Once you have it you won't want to go back.

I have a covered lift with a U shaped dock all round the boat. So it's easy to get all the way around to wipe down, clean. etc. It stays cleaner I think not having to be trailered in the bugs, dust and grime. I still keep the cover on under the canopy.

If you can afford it, I think you will be happy you did.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-30-2012, 6:27 PM Reply   
Yes.

But it's a lifestyle choice so don't risk your future for a choice on how to live.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-30-2012, 7:01 PM Reply   
Ice fishing would be cool, but it never gets cold enough here, so we settle for year-round boating
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-31-2012, 3:47 AM Reply   
the financial part in not an issue (knock on wood) but we only want to do this one time, so we feel strongly about getting the house we love, the deals are really good on large homes, but not on the smaller homes. ie. 2000 to 2500 sq ft. if we push out budget we can get great homes with great property, deep water etc etc. the only issue is maintaining a 6 bedroom 5000 + sq ft home and its only us 2 and we are not having kids. I am 38 this year, and already have a 15 year old, so we have decided to focus on our careers. thanks for all the input. we put 150 hours on last year in the north. we will be boating every weekend here, so i think we will have to make the decision to tough it out in the apartment untill we can find the perfect waterftont home.
Old    Kahunacraft            12-31-2012, 5:23 AM Reply   
Agree on the pros/cons above, here are a few more things to think about.

Go with a smaller house on the water, western facing (sunsets) as that impacts the natural heat you receive. Extends time for swimming off the dock and dining outdoors. Smaller house because you will spend a lot of time on the patio, boat and outside the home.

The costs; taxes will be higher, docks, lift and you will use the boat 2-3x more (maybe higher) therefore your gas/maintenance costs will rise too.

Entertainment and incremental life improvement value, it just can't be measured. If you love boating and the water, you're stress levels will free fall the minute you pull into the driveway. They fall farther as you watch a sunset or sit by a campfire mid-week.

If you can afford it, go for it. But don't max out the budget on the house, you will need 10-20% more dollars for all the extras. 3 season screen room, boat house, guest house, outdoor shower, patios, fireplace, pizza oven, docks, lifts, pontoon boat, more gas.... The list goes on.
Old     (jtiblier123)      Join Date: Jan 2011       12-31-2012, 5:24 AM Reply   
I just bought a waterfront home after dreaming about it for years. I lived right on the beach for 3 years, but NOTHING beats a lake home if you are into water sports. Pull the trigger. Just make sure you get an incredible inspection done. Make that 2 inspections. Waterfront homes have significant pest/mold/moisture problems, so be ready to put an 4k each year for random ass repairs or "things that just need to be done" as my fiancee puts it.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-31-2012, 5:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
the financial part in not an issue (knock on wood) but we only want to do this one time, so we feel strongly about getting the house we love, the deals are really good on large homes, but not on the smaller homes. ie. 2000 to 2500 sq ft. if we push out budget we can get great homes with great property, deep water etc etc. the only issue is maintaining a 6 bedroom 5000 + sq ft home and its only us 2 and we are not having kids. I am 38 this year, and already have a 15 year old, so we have decided to focus on our careers. thanks for all the input. we put 150 hours on last year in the north. we will be boating every weekend here, so i think we will have to make the decision to tough it out in the apartment untill we can find the perfect waterftont home.
Maintaining a house isn't that big a deal.. 3000-5000sf won't make much difference.

I'd rather have too big than too small.

Get the lake house.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       12-31-2012, 6:19 AM Reply   
I don't have a water front home but I quite a few that do and honestly if you can afford it there is nothing better. The main issues I repeatedly hear about are simply the HOA and demands. Here in FL they can be very tough on lake front home owners in regards to their docks, water line, weeds, etc. They wont even allow them to have a trailer in their yard. Your area may be totally different but if you intend on building or doing add ons to the house or docks I would look into permits and covering all bases before making any purchase or bids. It also depends on the house. If the waterline is covered in weeds and trees and it will cost more to keep up. If it's sand, then it won't. Be conscience of those things and best of luck in your search that's awesome! You're living my dream haha.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-31-2012, 7:04 AM Reply   
Grew up waterfront. Confirmed awesome.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-31-2012, 7:18 AM Reply   
Def worth the investment, the pros out wieght the cons big time.

do make sure to check local by-laws on docks, boat lifts etc as it can make life a little harder
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       12-31-2012, 7:19 AM Reply   
well to me it depends. I have ultimately decided it is not worth it to me. But i have an interesting community. you can't have a private dock.. All the docks are community owned. It is quite difficult to get your slip located right behind your house. so all you gain is views. i'm a 1 minute drive from my lift so it doesnt affect me and its essentially like living on the water. so if you can lease a slip close to where you live then you dont have to trailer. that may make backing to water not worth as much.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-31-2012, 7:39 AM Reply   
Jess you are definately not the norm. 99% of places you gotta own the house to get the dock. But in your situation I can see how it wouldn't be worth it. In that situation I might opt against it, because now all the neighbors are going to be in your backyard all the time going to the community dock.

D Ave...why does Florida think they need a HOA for everything and everybody? In the North we don't want or need HOA's when we own a house. Thats strictly for Townhomes and condo's. Luckily we don't run into the issue with docks either because they come out in the winter(ice), so as temporary structures no permits and you can change as much as you like. I know we are doing a major dock over haul in the spring, as we need a new lift for the new boat.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       12-31-2012, 7:50 AM Reply   
RB- I don't know they can be pretty savage too and they're everywhere. Then again we do have people like Shaq and many other big names out here on the lakes so maybe it's just a matter of keeping the area as nice as possible and enforce anything and everything. Then again there's other smaller private lakes that have HOA's as well and not so many big names so I really don't have the answer but they definitely do it lol.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       12-31-2012, 7:54 AM Reply   
RR- That also makes total sense in your area with the ice and the removeable docks. I can see having less restrictions (and I would never want an HOA either), but I actually even have a customer in Texas that has a water front home and an HOA and the HOA had such strict demands on building his dock that he ended up spending more on his dock than he spent on the boat he purchased. Dock was amazing when it was done but don't think he planned on getting hit by the HOA like that.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-31-2012, 8:17 AM Reply   
I'll share. I've lived waterfront during the summers and its definitely awesome...
Some observances: if I listed only positives the list would be 10 miles long...
-water tends to be more rural, you out some distance between you and friends etc. and other things to do
-your neighbors will probably hate you for owning a wake boat. Big wakes + expensive boat + loud stereo makes you automatically the enemy no matter how nice you are
-you put crazy hours on the boat. Since 2010 when my buddy got his x25 we put on 360 hours, In a season that runs mid may- August, 220 on our 2011 rzr water sports become a lifestyle. Nothing like sitting down for a few after work, tossing a line in the lake while you wait for you buddies to come run a set with you... One set suddenly becomes enough, and you tend to push your limits cause you don't have to worry about riding 5 times in a day and getting broken off or tired. Also you just pop out and back when the water is good... Making most sets GOOD ONES
-you have to put up with the Wally's 247
- you don't need as a big a house, you spend most time outside because the lake never gets boring to look at and you're always on vacation...
-maintenance isn't as annoying somehow even of there's more of it
-some how you never get bored.
-if you're up north then go snow mobiling, pick up hockey etc.
-people know where you boat is from
- you have to buy a lift
-you hear ridiculousl comments about your boat as people troll by
-you will have boat/watersport withdrawals in the winter
-gas bills
-did I mention you're outside all the time?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            12-31-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
Im down in FL and yes HOAs suck!! Have to submit plans & get approvals just to plant palm trees in my yard.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       12-31-2012, 9:13 AM Reply   
Doug,
The positives outweigh the negatives go water front, especially since it don't freeze where you going which took away more cons I've been waterfront and channel front most of my life.. Nothing beats having your boat tied up in front of your yard ))
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-31-2012, 9:28 AM Reply   
All good points. Like all have said the positive far outweighs the negatives. If you can afford it go for it. I don't think you will be sorry.

One thing that hasn't been brought up is you will have significantly more wildlife near the water. When I was in Florida living on water that meant Snakes and Gators!! Your right on the Gator line but will have snakes for sure!! Its possible I was visited a few times for discharging a firearm in the city limits!! But to me all snakes must die!! Always was just told to not do it again!!
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       12-31-2012, 11:00 AM Reply   
As great as I'm sure it would be, one negative I didn't see mentioned is the jet skis. I've known people who've sold lake houses because they couldn't take the sound and annoyance of the jet skis anymore. Make sure you spend some time on the lake where you plan to buy.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-31-2012, 11:50 AM Reply   
lakefront.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-31-2012, 4:35 PM Reply   
Man, i wish AZ had (or made) more Ski/wake properties.. Id move to one fast!
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       12-31-2012, 5:18 PM Reply   
I'd be interested to hear comments on cleaning the boat. We keep the boat at the river but in the garage. We don't have a lift yet and I'm also not sure if/when we will.

It just seems like no matter how well you clean it after using it, boats just age faster on the lift. This is certainly the case on our river with it being brackish. I've seen it.

Is this just something you get used to and are ok with given the accessibility?

I think if we do get a lift, I'll find some way to do a shading system that will at least drop down on either side of the boat to keep the spray off.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-31-2012, 10:36 PM Reply   
Good question tj but Does it Age faster because it sits on a lift or does it age faster because it sees love 7 days a week instead of just every weekend?

Do agree about brackish water. Cover your boat on its lift and you shouldn't have a problem. They sell nice covers if fading is a concern
Old     (Bill_Dad)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-31-2012, 11:38 PM Reply   
hi, shameless plug here. Harleys house on lake Jessamine in Orlando is for sale if anyone is interested. send me a private message for details if anyone is genuinely interested.
Bill Clifford
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-01-2013, 6:31 AM Reply   
TJ my family has owned our cabin now for 51 years. We have always had a boat on a lift as long as I can remember. I know our/my boats aren't any worse for the wear from sitting on a lift. But we are also fresh water. I am still super anal about clean up. I have a U shaped dock that goes all the way around so wipe down/ washing / waxing are easy. I have a 24 foot canopy that keeps the sun off. I also opted for the 24 inch side extensions to help with the sun when at low angles. I also keep the cover on the boat when not in use. I have a cover for the platform and with the new boat will will be making a cover for the tower(old boat no tower). Mostly for bugs, dust, occasional bird dropping etc.

It works great for us. We always get extra use because of the lift. We put it in and out every weekend before the lift and it takes up alot of time. Plus I would leave it on a mooring overnight and could hardly sleep if storms were at all a chance.

But like I said we are fresh water. Also only a 40 foot dock and people don't drive near docks on our lake so there is no spray on the lift. Lift goes more than high enough to be above the tallest waves. This is also a lake. I would have strong reservations if it were a river and stronger yet from what I know of dealing with brackish in Florida.

TJ in your situation I can see the boats aging faster, but that is the brackish not the lifts. In your situation I personally wouldn't put a boat on a lift. I went thru the thought process in Florida with brackish water and decided no to a lift. I know some of you have to but there is no way I would but my new boat is brackish water. Period. IMO!!
Old     (annq42)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-01-2013, 7:21 AM Reply   
The waterfront home is defiantly worth the cash. I have lived on the water for the last 15 years of my life. I currently live in a waterfront home on Lake Norman, and my house is for sale to move to a bigger house, with the same price range as you. I bought my current house right before the housing peak, and even after the down turn, at no point would I of ever lost money on this house. In the 5 years of living in this house I am now going to turn over a 50k profit. I tell you this to have you understand that while it will be a bit more work, and not as big as you would desire, the house is a much better investment.

Let me also comment that I have looked on Lake Wylie before, and I will say you get MUCH less house on Wylie for your money than either Norman, Mtn. Isle or even Murray. I also found that the houses are not only smaller, but also usually more trashed as well, I love a good project house, but your money can go farther in other places.
I ride a lot with friends who live on Wylie, and while I know its a good lake, I will say its not my favorite by far due to the non-watersport activities, or lack there of, compared to surrounding lakes. I dont know if you have looked at the other lakes but let me suggest if you are looking for more house, check out the Denver side of Lake Norman, or anywhere on Murray. The Denver side has a lot of great boarding spots as well.

There are many pros, most of which being that it is never a chore to go out on the water. You put on some shorts, walk to the dock and go.
People always want to hang out, and you find most of your most memorable days are impromptu days that lead well into the night as you chill over your water view.
Dinner options are greater. Not only do you have all the locations by land, but you can also go by water, which makes it more fun, even if the restaurant is not as good, I mean that is seriously the only reason TBones is still around.
Easier to care for your boat and gear. You are no longer putting it on and off a trailer, you are no longer keeping gear in the boat, or throwing it in and out of the truck to the house. You are keeping it in its own spot until you carry it to the boat.
Most neighbors are more chill. By saying this, I will insult a lot of people, and its hard to express this until you experience it: You have 2 types of people, Lake People, and people who want to be lake people. Lake people are normally super chill and are ready for a impromptu party at any time. The other are the ones who are worried about the wakes, or if your music is too loud. What I have found are the latter dont last as long and end up buying water view (Across the street) and become the leader of HOA so they can yell at you for the azalea you planted in your yard, that you didnt ask permission on.

The cons are, in my opinion worth it in the end. Its more to keep up with. The dock maintenance and seawall/rip rap being the most obvious, but also you find that your house becomes a hang out spot, so you find yourself cleaning up your yard more. Mowing grass more, creating spots to eat or chill by the water, finding a spot for volleyball or corn hole, etc.
Just like any other house you have projects you want to do to it, but I find that because more people are over in the summer you find yourself pushing more to get the projects done. Last part of February through March I work like a mad man cleaning, prepping, creating, planting, and re-arranging to get ready for the summer rush. I am a single guy, so its a bit harder for me to get to everything, but when April hits and everyone is over for a beginning of summer party you find that it was all worth it, as you get to just cruise for the summer play time.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-01-2013, 2:22 PM Reply   
Yes, worth it
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-01-2013, 4:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Dad View Post
hi, shameless plug here. Harleys house on lake Jessamine in Orlando is for sale if anyone is interested. send me a private message for details if anyone is genuinely interested.
Bill Clifford
Does his half wipe come with it out back
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-01-2013, 5:15 PM Reply   
ryan, thanks for the heads up. we have been looking at wylie because of location. i can live anywhere in the carolina's but i also cover the coast of georgia. Lake wylie is such a great even distance for me and i can usually make it just about anywhere in my territory in 2 to 3 hours. my wife works in charlotte, so its close. i have not been to norman, hear great things about denver side, but horror stories about the east side, traffic, and the lower part of the lake being crazy busy. I have friends on wateree and there place rocks, amazing view, deep water, but in the middle of no where and the mrs is not cool with a 30 min ride to get groceries, food etc. we love charlotte too. We are going to check out mt island, and the charlotte side of wylie. We would really prefer to stay in south carolina. The taxes alone save 4k a year and everything we have seen has had taxes under 3k. For us, coming from the north, is unbelievable. We would pay 15 to 20k a year to have the homes we are looking at hear, there. If anyone knows anyone looking to sell in wylie let us know. Ryan, please shoot me an email of the mls when you list your house. dougrose1@hotmail.com thanks
Old     (jafo9)      Join Date: May 2012       01-02-2013, 1:30 PM Reply   
if you've got the cash, sounds like an easy choice to me. my advice is to find an agent that is very familiar with the lake you are looking at. there are lots of little details that can be lake specific and you've never faced with prior house purchases.

as mentioned above, the pro's speak for themselves. the biggest downside is the time it takes to "run" a second property. it seems like starting about now every year, its a race to get all the "stuff" done for the summer months. its amazing how quickly the water toys add up when you have a dock to keep them. of course they all need maintenance, etc. what we have found is that for a few years we seemed to "neglect" our main house since we were always working on something with the lake house.

probably the best part of having a lake house for us is the quality family time it promotes. all my kids ski/board/surf. i'd much rather be giving them a pull rather than seeing them watching tv or playing xbox. my hope is that when they are grown and have families of their own, the lake will occasionally pull them back to mom and dad.
Old    Kahunacraft            01-02-2013, 4:40 PM Reply   
^^^^ +1
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-02-2013, 7:25 PM Reply   
I happen to be fortunate that I have 2 homes at the same lake. 1 Water front home and 1 Home just off the water. (The water front home Im partners with my Dad and younger brother) so I can tell you First hand that it's very easy to say "Water front home all the way" But its just not that easy. You can get almost 2 times the house if you live just off the water. There are pros and cons to each. Only the buyer can say if its worth it. A better question would be This house Vs That house. Side by side comparison, If you had 2 homes picked out that you were looking at I think you could get a better Idea or Peoples 2c if we could see what you were looking at .
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-02-2013, 7:37 PM Reply   
If you plan to go on the water more than once a week then probably worth it....Property taxes here in minnesota are crazy high....Then you have to deal with boat lift and boat dock, sea wall, etc.
Old     (Bill_Dad)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-03-2013, 2:36 AM Reply   
yep half pipe and all, haha
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-03-2013, 2:56 PM Reply   
Why not across the street from water with a deeded boat slip?

Close friend of mine just had an offer accepted on a home in a neighborhood in Cornelious, NC (pretty nice area), nice 3000sq/ft home, deeded boat slip, and cost about 1/2 of what it would have cost if it was across the street on the water. Still has a slip, still is within easy walking distance of it...only made sense.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-03-2013, 3:04 PM Reply   
Just have to be careful with that set up. I almost bought a house years ago with that exact set up. Across the street from the lake deeded community dock. Seller agent said I could have up to 2 lifts, etc. We were looking a third time before making an offer and happened to talk to an neighbor. He told us he was told the same thing till he signed and has been waiting 2 years for a spot for a lift. Talked to a second neighbor who confirmed. My agent asked for the info in writing and was told we wouldn't need that. We decided we didn't need to make an offer then.

Point being deeded access can be sketchy and alot of times is. Story usually tends to change after the purchase agreement is signed.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-03-2013, 4:57 PM Reply   
For full time living being across/down the street with a slip could be a good alternative if it's got good savings. A buddy of mine had that setup about 5 years ago, and we put over 200 hours on his boat the summer he had that. Something that I don't think I've seen on here is any reference to potential savings on tow vehicle expense. If you have a lift on the lake, if all goes right you should only need to tow twice a year. I tow in the spring and fall so long as nothing breaks. Given this, I don't have as big of a tow vehicle. If I was towing more, I'd want something bigger to be driving all the time. Another thing to consider is whether its a private or public lake. That can cut both ways. Private lakes can have too many rules. Public lakes can have too many people. If you are looking at a $500k house, I'd recommend visiting the lake during busy season both during the week and on the weekend. One of my neighbors bought his place after visiting it a couple of times mid week in the spring. It was dead quiet, and he loved it. He didn't even realize he was buying right where everyone would be anchoring in front of his house....which he now hates.