Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-02-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
I would like to put futures or similar surf fins on my Koal. Has anyone done this? I know i need to router out a hole for the fin boxes, but just wondering if it is possible, and what proper steps to take so that i don't mess my board up. I am trying to make the board faster, will this work, or am I just gonna waste my time?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-03-2011, 4:36 PM Reply   
Yes, it can be done, but in order to get the future boxes set right you need all the cutting jigs as well, not just a router and bit set to the right height. There are two distinct levels cut to install a futures box. They are intended to be installed under glass but can be after lamination/molding. The best option or likely the cheapest is to use a set of FCS plugs. These are designed to be installed after glassing and are not too much more complicated than installing a leash plug. However, if you do not understand fin placement, toe-in and cant and how these work with your boards bottom contours, foil and over outline, then you are likely wasting your time. The other option is to find a local shaper and have him install them...it will probably cost about the same as buying the materials retail.....
Old    surfdad            02-03-2011, 5:05 PM Reply   
However, if you do not understand fin placement, toe-in and cant and how these work with your boards bottom contours, foil and over outline, then you are likely wasting your time.

Ronix took care of all that nastiness for you with the 2011 Koal. Maybe you can take the measurements off one from a local retailer? I haven't ridden one, but I have heard they did a good job with it.

http://www.evo.com/wake-surfboards/r...rd-5-2011.aspx

I think it would be a fun project, post up if you decide to do it.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-04-2011, 9:28 AM Reply   
I knew you would help me out Surfdad, thanks a bunch, and thanks Chaos, good info to go by.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-04-2011, 9:29 AM Reply   
chaos, do you have a fav place to get these FCS plugs? where do you buy yours Surfdad?
Old    surfdad            02-04-2011, 11:09 AM Reply   
I buy from Fiberglass Supply or Foam EZ or beg some from a shaper in Santa Cruz. Before you go buy any, let me check my garage, I think I may have some extra plugs you can have if you pay for the stamps to ship.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-04-2011, 1:35 PM Reply   
Let me know Jeff, I can pay you for them if you need, postage is not a problem.Thanks!!
Old    surfdad            02-04-2011, 1:54 PM Reply   
Just postage and you're welcome! Let me check to be sure, but I think I have a spare thruster plug set. You'll be good to go!

Last edited by surfdad; 02-04-2011 at 1:58 PM.
Old    surfdad            02-04-2011, 7:08 PM Reply   
AND a logo'ed FCS key. Shoot me a PM and I'll get those to you. Foam EZ has the installation manual in PDF form.
Attached Images

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-06-2011, 5:59 PM Reply   
Will do, thanks Jeff
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-09-2011, 1:39 PM Reply   
I get them directly from FCS. Looks like you are good..Jeff is setting you up. Those are polycarbonate plugs, in 'smoke'.... Because the materials are different between these plugs and FCS's older plugs and their newest plugs, you do not want to wipe the polycarbonates with acetone.... If they seem grimmy or you have handled (oils from your hands tend to lessen the bonding of resins) them a lot then you can use some alcohol on them, but the acetone will marr and partially melt the plugs....

If you do not want to invest in a hole saw, a 1 1/8" forstner bit can do the job to get the main section of the hole drilled out clean.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-09-2011, 2:00 PM Reply   
Also, looks like the 2011 model uses a relatively standard thruster set-up or within the range of standard placement....

Lead fins: 11" up from the tail (tail end of the board, not the center of the swallow cut in).
rear of lead fin 1.25" in from the rail; toe-in about .25". You could place them in off the rail as much a 1.5 or even 1.75 if you want to really reduce the overall fin area.
The toe-in is the angle or the difference in measurement from the center line or stringer between the rear of the fin and the front of the fin.
Next you will have to decide on the cant. The cant is the angle the fins are tilted outward towards the rail. 5 to 7 degrees is the standard range for thrusters (shoot for 6 maybe), some fins are designed to work with a 9-10 degree cant.

The rear of the center fin, is likely best set 3.25 to 3.75" up from the tail. However, it looks like the Koal has a fairly aggressive swallow or fish tail, so you will need to compensate for this. At any rate it is best to have at least 2" of foam behind the end of your fin.

The only other concern for the DIY'er in you is drilling through the factory plugs will likely prove to be difficult. The plug material will drill/grind/sand away at a much slower rate then the surrounding foam, and may cause the drill or whatever powertool you choose to use to buck or skip or jump, marring up your board.... If you can or have a router, plunging it down may be your best bet, otherwise a hand drill will suffice.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-09-2011, 2:11 PM Reply   
thanks a bunch Chaos, lots of good info, If I mess it up then I guess I'll have to buy a new board, haha. Only have 240 invested in this board anyway. I just want it to go faster, hopefully I can pull off the modification.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-02-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
Any suggestions on size, length, model of thrusters you might think will work best??
Old    JasonDJ            03-02-2011, 11:55 AM Reply   
Does the board currently have 2-hole wakeboard fins on it? I wouldn't spend the time to put futures / FCS fins on that board.

Just getting bigger fins would make a big difference. Ronix sells 3.5" 2 hole surf fins which would make a big difference.
http://www.boardstop.com/product_inf...oducts_id=4218

Definitely the easiest and cheapest option.