Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-16-2010, 11:11 PM Reply   
Finally got around to replacing the PCX 2200 for the PCX 2400. Had a friend's help with the welding of the amp rack What a beast at 30"! Pain in the arse to get in, but I think it turned out alright.
Attached Images

Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-16-2010, 11:47 PM Reply   
looks sweet. so what are you going to do with the PCX 2200?
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-16-2010, 11:59 PM Reply   
Traded it for two 1250's, sold them, used the money to get the 2400. The 2 1250's are being used, the 2200 on the other hand is sitting in a closet I think and my friend may want to sell it. He may chime in on here in a bit.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-17-2010, 1:02 AM Reply   
im looking to run a pair of Skylon Defcon IV reference series speakers so i need some power.
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-17-2010, 7:06 AM Reply   
Well the 2200 that I had was pushing Defcon Refrense V's just fine actually. Keep in mind that if those are the first year out they are at 2 ohms so you usually get double the power. Are you interested? I'll hit him up on it.

Chad
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-17-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
well i bought the Speakers recently from this guy and he had replaced the driver with the image dynamics drivers which say D2 on the baskets? one of the crossovers ended up being broken so i called Skylon and they are sending me 2 image dynamics crossovers. now i heard that those speakers were to run at 2 ohm but the guy at Skylon said the crossovers were 4 ohm? now i have no idea what to run them at. any help would be greatly appreciated
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-17-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
oh and yeah im interested in the amp if i can get the right ohms and power i need.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-17-2010, 1:31 PM Reply   
Looks good .... How much is the amp worth? I think it's in my closet right? LOL
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-17-2010, 2:05 PM Reply   
That's funny Michael, you bought the same set of speakers my buddy inquired about, but you had already bought them. lol The amp will be stable at 2 or 4 ohms so the amp will be good no matter what. The wiring they give you will be what you get, you won't be able to change it at that point. If they have it set up at 2 ohms then you would put 400 rms watts to each side, if they have it set up at 4 ohm you'll put 200 to each side. I have to say I love these amps, very under rated, lot's of very clean, good power (pros). They are big though and they are power hungry on your charging system (cons). I am looking at getting a bigger alternator now that I have added the 2400. I run on just the two batteries, but the boat is running most of the time when we are out so we are fine. I just trickle charge them every once in a while. I guess the other option would be that if they are at 4 ohms, bridge the amp and somehow wire the two pods in series so that it would drop it down to two ohms. I have never done that with the neutrix connectors though.

And Jeff is the owner of the 2200 now. I thought he would have chimed in. I have seen it going for between 200 and 250 on craiglist Jeff. Thanks for the comments both of you.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-17-2010, 4:49 PM Reply   
so your saying the Ohms are rated off the crossovers? and if they give me a 4 Ohm crossover than that is what i will need to run the amp at
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-17-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
OOOOOHHHHHH That's a couple tanks of fuel Chad ! Or new bindings or board !

I can't explain the ohm's thing very well, But I know that the 2200 is a 2x 200watt amp @ 4 ohm's.
But if you run the amp and drop it to 2 ohm's you get 2x400 @ 2 ohm's, But the amp runs harder and not an issue with the ppi of these years.

Chad who is looking for tower speakers? If I had to do it all over again and was on a budget I would take a hard look at the bullet 7.7's. My friend Rik has 2 on his tower with about 250 to each and they sound really good ! And not so deafening in the boat. I'm old and my ears are starting to hurt like the rest of my body.....LOL.

How do the 1250's sound ? Can you tell a difference ?